ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: the little wedge that could  (Read 37147 times)

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
Re: the little wedge that could
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 12:16:03 PM »

Wow, John do you have some spec's like weight and dimensions on these guys?? I'm interested in the 12" for across the front of our bands stage and the 15 for our drummer who has a digital kit.

Whats the power rating on the 15 and 12 respectively?

Do you have some pricing lined up? If you need to please PM me. I love the Coax design.
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Tim Weaver

• http://www.weaverimaging.com
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 12:36:44 PM »

John Chiara

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 12:44:38 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Fri, 15 January 2010 11:38

Weogo,

The 12" that we got to play around with at the Wedge-Fest a century ago (or was it 2006?) was very impressive. Considering the same people are involved, the 15" is surely fantastic bang for the buck.

Here's Trace taking one apart to find out how they fit all that noise in that little box...
http://www.bennettprescott.com/images/wedgefest/index-Thumbnails/56.jpg

I know I'm not supposed to talk about boxes, but hopefully I'm allowed to praise the work of some fellow LABsters...

Please note the high tech screw driver!
"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

John Halliburton

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 01:11:39 PM »

Adam Whetham wrote on Fri, 15 January 2010 11:16

Wow, John do you have some spec's like weight and dimensions on these guys?? I'm interested in the 12" for across the front of our bands stage and the 15 for our drummer who has a digital kit.

Do you have some pricing lined up? If you need to please PM me. I love the Coax design.

The front dimensions I gave in the earlier post.  Overall depth at the longest point is just under 15".  The height when on stage as a monitor is about the same at the highest point.

Weight was just shy of 40lbs on a UPS scale.  This cabinet is all 18mm Baltic Birch and shot with Line-X.

Jack will have to chime in with the differentiation of the driver models to confirm or correct me, but I believe the 15" Weogo has now is a prior design, without the molded horn.

Adam, thanks for the interest.  I'm working on production estimates and tweaking the drawing a bit today, and should have some idea on cabinet costs in a week or two.  I had suggested to others via pm to see about getting these beta units circulating on a road test for a few weeks while the production work gets organized.  I'd like to be able to get an initial run of cabinets done as opposed to building singles by hand(fun for the prototypes, not fun for production).

Bennett, thanks for the compliment.

Stay tuned,

John

Weogo Reed

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 02:01:29 PM »

Hi John,

To clarify, the 15" I have has a 60 degree horn.

I believe it is the same or very similar to the 15CN682:
http://bmsspeakers.com/cone-speaker-compression-driver/bms-c oaxial-transducers/bms-coaxial-neodymium-transducer/bms-15cn 682-coaxial-transducer/15cn682-coaxial-transducer-intro/

The older AA12 coax does not have a horn,
the new, all-BMS ones have a 60x80 horn.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Weogo Reed

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 02:22:03 PM »

Hi Bennett and All,

High praise indeed from Mr. Eona/ADR!

In addition to the 15" box, I have also been trying the older AA12 boxes you heard with the custom Ciare 12" and BMS 1".  As you note, very impressive.  
On paper(well mostly in e-mails) the new all-BMS 12" wedge looks even better - more power, goes lower.

1) For a wedge, my first concern is sound quality.
With better wedges, musicians hear themselves clearly at lower overall volume, everybody wins.
The BMS 12" and 15" woofers have triple shorting rings and very low mid-range distortion.
The 1" HF drivers have an excellent reputation for clarity.

2) I want a box with an analog crossover to eliminate the delay of DSP processing.  Am already adding some delay with a digital mixer.
Too Tall's crossovers with excellent design and high quality materials have a chance to shine with this driver.

3) Modest size and weight, in a well-built box, are obvious pluses.
John went through SEVERAL prototypes to get to a box that of modest size, with a useful, pleasing design.

}
Adam, I have used the 15" as a drum-fill.  If I did more R&R I would definitely want one of these for that purpose.

}
For Tim, asking about mating the BMS coax to a BMS woofer for more low-mid output:
BMS does have similar Neo 12" and 15" woofers.  Jack will have the best information on the best matches.
The triaxial BMS 15CN860F has to be a contender for the ultimate in high-output in a very compact, lightweight package.
Can you imagine this driver in a wedge?!?!
I wonder about this driver in a symmetrical, Danley SH50-style box, that would allow constructive left/right and up/down arraying...
Since the 1" BMS can be crossed so much lower than most other 1" drivers, a coax can meet my wedge needs.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Tim Weaver

• http://www.weaverimaging.com
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 02:56:27 PM »

Does Assistance carry the 12CN680 yet? And at what price?

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 04:03:27 PM »

Tim Weaver wrote on Fri, 15 January 2010 10:01

Is there a regular woofer that matches these coax woofers? I'm thinking a PAS style drum fill would be kickin'.....

Or, for that matter it could be a FOH cabinet too. A double 12 plus horn where the top driver is a coax would definitely be an eye opener.

I see i'm not the only one that had some love for the 2.2's design with coax components... their little SW2.2 was a killer little guy with the built in amp also.

Thanks for the info John, Didn't see the previous dimensions. That is a nice compact guy...
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Too Tall (Curtis H. List)

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 05:29:37 PM »

Adam Whetham wrote on Fri, 15 January 2010 12:16

Hi,
Here is the 12" coax that Weogo will be beta testing soon-

http://www.bmspro.info/

http://bmsspeakers.com/cone-speaker-compression-driver/bms-c oaxial-transducers/bms-coaxial-neodymium-transducer/bms-12cn 680-coaxial-transducer/12cn680-coaxial-transducer-intro/

No pricing till the beta testing is done.
Thanks
Too Tall
        Curtis H. List    
             Bridgeport, Mich.   
        I.A.T.S.E. Local # 274 (Gold Card)
        Lansing, Mich
Independent Live Sound Engineer (and I'm Tall Too!)

Greg Cameron

• http://www.cameronproaudio.com
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 07:06:44 PM »

How do you propose dealing with covering/protecting the driver with that waveguide protruding? Seems like it sticks out quite a bit.

Greg
Cameron Pro Audio.

"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.