ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: the little wedge that could  (Read 37151 times)

Weogo Reed

the little wedge that could
« on: January 14, 2010, 08:31:08 PM »

Hi Y'all,

For almost a year now I've been using a wedge with a 15" BMS 15C682 coax imported by Jack Arnott at Assistance Audio.
The box is from Assistance Audio's Live Sound Division, and only the components are available for purchase, not the boxes.

http://www.assistanceaudio.com/02_coaxials.html

It has an excellent, low-loss, passive crossover designed by Curtis List "Too Tall".  
The crossover design comes with the coax, or Curtis can build crossovers for you.

The complete wedge weighs about 35#.  The 15" neo coax is about 11.5#, and the crossover is over 7#.
The box has a dual-angle design with 35 and 55 degree tilt angles.
The foam-backed stainless steel grill is a nice touch.

This wedge is a monster.
It goes quite loud on modest power.(Am regularly using a QSC CX404 for four monitor mixes, 250 watts/channel.)
I can put this wedge in front of deaf Louisiana Accordion players, bring it up and have them smile.
A local Mandolin player who is hard of hearing loves this box.  He plays with a pickup and a mic, and I can get lots of pickup AND mic in the wedge.
This wedge requires very little, if any EQ.

Coverage is fairly tight, but the 'sweet spot' of best sound isn't a tight bullet.
The wedge will cover two musicians who are close together.

The box is smaller, and much lighter, than some 12" wedges I have used.
Being passively crossed and only needing one amp channel also contributes to the lightweight theme.

For those looking for a high-clarity, high-output box in a compact, lightweight package, I suggest you consider this.

Continuing the BMS theme, I will soon have a pair of boxes with the 12" BMS 12CN680 coax from Jack Arnott,
with
crossovers designed by Curtis List,
and
boxes by John Halliburton.    j_challiburton@sbcglobal.net    cell:  847-971-0462
John's main objective is to help develop cabinet designs, prototype them, and then
offer production at a fully outfitted CNC shop he has been working with: WW Displays:  
http://www.ww-speakercabinets.com/

I'll report on these boxes after using them for a while.

http://bmsspeakers.com/cone-speaker-compression-driver/bms-c oaxial-transducers/bms-coaxial-neodymium-transducer/bms-12cn 680-coaxial-transducer/12cn680-coaxial-transducer-intro/

Thanks to Jack Arnott, Curtis List and John Halliburton for their commitment to high quality audio!

Good health,  Weogo Reed

Lee Brenkman

Re: the little wedge that could
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 09:38:19 PM »

Weogo,

You say that John Halliburton is designing the cabinets for the 12 inch coax monitors and it would appear that the same folks who fabricate JTS speaker cabinets will build them.

But...

Who designed the boxes for your 15 inch monitors and where did you get the cabinets made?

cheers,
lee
"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened."
— Mark Twain

Grant Conklin

• http://www.G-ForceProAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 09:49:18 PM »

Do you have any pics of the monitors?
Dealer for Fulcrum-Acoustic, JTR, Yorkville, VTC, FBT, Xilica, Hosa, Gator Cases, and On Stage Stands.
www.G-ForceProAudio.com

John Halliburton

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 10:38:20 PM »

Grant Conklin wrote on Thu, 14 January 2010 20:49

Do you have any pics of the monitors?

I took some of the new 12" protoype shipping to Weogo:
index.php/fa/27393/0/

A bit of a detail view at a 3/4 angle.  Speakons on both ends, dual angle for sitting or standing performers, pole cup for use as a small main speaker, and the single large metal edge mounted handle.  A metal grill can be mounted on the front, and it will have a gentle arc.

It's a compact little brute, and surprised me with the warm low end response.  It does have a great midrange characteristic that should make it very nice for a monitor.

There are two of them shipping out tomorrow to Weogo for beta testing.  

Best regards,

John

Weogo Reed

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 11:38:06 PM »

Hi Lee and Grant,

The 15" is in a short-run box from Jack Arnott at Assistance Audio.

I need a place to post pics....
Can snap them and e-mail to anybody interested.

weogoreed at bellsouth dot net

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 06:44:54 AM »

I think I want to purchase a pair.

Let me know when you start shipping.

Thank You,

Hammer
Be prepared, you'll need it!

John Halliburton

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 08:41:14 AM »

Charlie Zureki wrote on Fri, 15 January 2010 05:44

I think I want to purchase a pair.

Let me know when you start shipping.

Thank You,

Hammer

Thanks Hammer, Curtis will have a prototype back at his shop in a week or so.  Jack has a working unit but not an exact match to the beta unit pictured, and I'll probably be building one for him as well.

Perhaps you can audition the one at Curtis' place first.  I am not sure what the game plan is for the beta pair once Weogo has them, but I would hope they make the rounds.  Here's another shot straight on looking at the baffle.  The dimensions 18.5" x 15.5".
index.php/fa/27402/0/

Best regards,

John

Grant Conklin

• http://www.G-ForceProAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 09:12:27 AM »

I'm a fan of this design.  There are very few speakers out there that incorporate all of these design elements, particularly with a real horn.  If it were powered and under $1000, it would have even more applications.  
Dealer for Fulcrum-Acoustic, JTR, Yorkville, VTC, FBT, Xilica, Hosa, Gator Cases, and On Stage Stands.
www.G-ForceProAudio.com

Tim Weaver

• http://www.weaverimaging.com
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 11:01:58 AM »

Is there a regular woofer that matches these coax woofers? I'm thinking a PAS style drum fill would be kickin'.....

Or, for that matter it could be a FOH cabinet too. A double 12 plus horn where the top driver is a coax would definitely be an eye opener.

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 11:38:24 AM »

Weogo,

The 12" that we got to play around with at the Wedge-Fest a century ago (or was it 2006?) was very impressive. Considering the same people are involved, the 15" is surely fantastic bang for the buck.

Here's Trace taking one apart to find out how they fit all that noise in that little box...
http://www.bennettprescott.com/images/wedgefest/index-Thumbnails/56.jpg

I know I'm not supposed to talk about boxes, but hopefully I'm allowed to praise the work of some fellow LABsters...
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.