ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey IPR-1600 shipping!  (Read 32901 times)

Ron Kimball

Peavey IPR-1600 shipping!
« on: January 08, 2010, 02:16:51 pm »

Anybody have one yet? A couple folks that received theirs have commented positively over on the Peavey forum. It looks like the larger non-DSP amps are due in a week or so. Probably limited availability for a while, there's even one being sold on eBay Shocked!

Ron Kimball

Re: Peavey IPR-1600 shipping!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 09:37:44 pm »

Perhaps B.S. but NorthernSound.net's website shows the IPR-4500 in stock so I ordered one up for $380 shipped Shocked. I'll let you all know when I get it in Smile or if they back order it on me Sad.

Doug Sprinthall

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 06:12:20 pm »

I'm really curious about these.  Almost too good to be true.  If they do what they say, I can run my little yami club foh system off one 6000.  My back eagerly awaits their release.  I read the peavey forum comments about the 1600 and, though they are pretty subjective, they are positive so far.  Fingers crossed.

Ron Kimball

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 06:43:06 pm »

Doug Sprinthall wrote on Sun, 10 January 2010 23:12

I'm really curious about these.  Almost too good to be true.  If they do what they say, I can run my little yami club foh system off one 6000.
Yah, crazy - the 6000 is still under $500 delivered Shocked. What Yamaha Clubs are you running that won't blow up from that kind of power?

Whit Hutchinson

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 11:34:07 am »

Made.                      In.                     China.

Does this not bother anyone else besides me these days?    
I have learned in my life:

-Pretty girls don't stay single long
- KF 850s  over SB 1000s per side was designed to be a percussion instrument rather than a "soundpretty thing".

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 11:54:33 am »

Nope, doesn't bother me a bit as I won't be buying them, but it's not over the country of origin.

We do pay a premium for domestic products, and I'm willing to do that if it means: a) the product is a suitable fit for my application; b) domestic production provides better delivery; c) better tech support, repairs & parts inventory; d) keeps my fellow Americans in their jobs a bit longer.

The "value" has been out of the bag and into former 3rd world countries as the automated assembly equipment was sold in those places.  The differences for manufacturing in such places are a lack of pesky environmental laws and abundant, cheap labor.  So much cheaper that first world workers can NEVER compete.  I mean really, what USA worker could give up 80% of his/her wages and benefits?  Our economic system wasn't designed to *compete* with economies of such a different wage scale.

Back when the oceans divided us and the cost of transportation was high relative to the value of the product, we were protected.  Now that relatively high value products are made in places with unpronounceable names and can be shipped for a fraction of value our economy faces different risks than 50 years ago.

Whether or not you purchase a product based on its country of origin is up to you.  Global trade is a fact of life, and with the genie out of the bottle I don't see it changing in my lifetime or yours.  Don't buy cheap stuff from China (or Malaysia, etc...) if that makes you feel better.  But you'll need to find a way to compete with those providers that deliver a quality service with lower capital equipment costs.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim "lots of coffee today" Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Ron Kimball

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 12:14:02 pm »

Ron Kimball wrote on Sun, 10 January 2010 02:37

Perhaps B.S. but NorthernSound.net's website shows the IPR-4500 in stock so I ordered one up for $380 shipped Shocked. I'll let you all know when I get it in Smile or if they back order it on me Sad.
Yep, just got the backorder notice as expected...

Art Welter

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 01:53:59 pm »

Ron Kimball wrote on Sun, 10 January 2010 16:43

I'm really curious about these.  Almost too good to be true.  If they do what they say, I can run my little yami club foh system off one 6000.
Yah, crazy - the 6000 is still under $500 delivered Shocked. What Yamaha Clubs are you running that won't blow up from that kind of power?

It would be hard to find 8 ohm speakers that can not take the 300 watts the Peavey IPR-1600 is rated for.

And with a maximum RMS voltage swing of 55 volts, even clipped you won't see much more power than that.

The 2 ohm rating is about 3dB down from the maximum RMS voltage swing, so plenty of current limiting goes on. The two ohm rating of 800 watts would only be 200 watts per 8 ohm speaker.

The amp may be a good value (we'll see if it holds up to the usual abuse over time),and have a good power to weight ratio, but is not a real powerhouse by any stretch of the imagination.
index.php/fa/27311/0/
Art Welter

Ron Kimball

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 01:59:55 pm »

Art Welter wrote on Mon, 11 January 2010 18:53

It would be hard to find 8 ohm speakers that can not take the 300 watts the Peavey IPR-1600 is rated for.
... umm he was talkin' 'bout the IPR-6000 drivin' Yammy Clubs. The 1600 would certainly be a good match Smile.

Art Welter

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 02:43:06 pm »

Ron Kimball wrote on Mon, 11 January 2010 11:59

Art Welter wrote on Mon, 11 January 2010 18:53

... umm he was talkin' 'bout the IPR-6000 drivin' Yammy Clubs. The 1600 would certainly be a good match Smile.

Ron,

My mistake, I missed the distinction between the message line and the "6000".

The IPR-6000 rated at 3,000W RMS x 2 at 2 ohms =750 watts per 8 ohm speaker.
Unless someone is compressing the crap out of music to get more than 1/3 of the 750 watt max output as average power, 250 watts per speaker, I wouldn't worry too much about using that amp with the 15 or 18 inch Yamaha Club series speakers. The 10 and 12 inch could be burned depending on the program.

I’ll be interested in your review of the IPR-4500 if it arrives, and a comparison between it and whatever you currently use.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.