ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Found this deal for you Texas guys  (Read 17555 times)

George Aldredge

Re: Found this deal for you Texas guys
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 12:34:44 AM »

There must not be many fans of these around here, because I have seen them listed a couple of times before. I considered buying one last month just to tinker with. Too many time consuming toys already.............
Very Happy

Whit Hutchinson

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 01:01:11 AM »

George,

If you have ever experienced thsese before you would know why I rushed over here to tell you guys about them first.   Here is what I think about them:  

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/448054/3944/?src h=Servodrive#msg_448054

Again,  that was my first experience with a subwoofer system and thinking "Holy *&*(ing shit that is more bass than I have ever heard"  
I have learned in my life:

-Pretty girls don't stay single long
- KF 850s  over SB 1000s per side was designed to be a percussion instrument rather than a "soundpretty thing".

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 11:57:19 AM »

Whit Hutchinson wrote on Mon, 28 December 2009 23:23

Please enlighten me on why you (or anyone) would be willing to get rid of such a "perfect" sub woofer.   I have always wanted these (albeit wanted 4 (2 per side for my rock bands and DJ gigs))  But were unable to afford them back when this was the only real high powered bass device around.

Now,  I see them for this price,  but thinking on it,  there are still VERY few subs (if any) that can go to 30hz with little power at huge levels.  I understand that they are big cabs and you have to be SUPER careful with them as to not burn them up but it is my understanding that an old school Macrotech 2400 on a pair was sent from god him/herself to run these subs without worry.  I am sure there are many amps since then but I refuse to buy Chinese bullshit anymore so I will stick with my old iron until then.

If you are primarily reproducing sine waves, they are great. However, due to the mass of the motor/belt mechanism, their impulse response was really lousy.

They might be really cool with an upgrade to real drivers, though.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 12:01:53 PM »

Whit-

The ServoDrives were The Thing when they came out, and still outperform many so-called "subs."

Twenty years later, though, there are conventional speakers that equal or exceed them and don't have the problems with parts sourcing.  The servo motor is no longer in production, the belts are hard to find, and the cones... I'm not sure.

It's a great piece of history, but gives a buyer no expansion path with sketchy parts availability.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

John Halliburton

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 02:22:05 PM »

Milt Hathaway wrote on Tue, 29 December 2009 10:57

If you are primarily reproducing sine waves, they are great. However, due to the mass of the motor/belt mechanism, their impulse response was really lousy.

Milt,

After running QA TEF sweeps on a few hundred Servodrive subwoofer products, I am afraid I have to disagree on the impulse response statement.  They are quite good at it actually, and Tom also did plenty of head to head comparisons in the shop at the time with other competing products.

They still produce some of the best percussion instrument reproduction in the frequency range I've ever heard-and I still have my pair of Contrabass subs as reference.

I do agree however, that refitting the Basstech 7 cabinets for sale in Dallas with "proper" drivers is definitely a workable project.

Best regards,

John

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 02:50:04 PM »

John Halliburton wrote on Tue, 29 December 2009 14:22

Milt,

After running QA TEF sweeps on a few hundred Servodrive subwoofer products, I am afraid I have to disagree on the impulse response statement.  They are quite good at it actually, and Tom also did plenty of head to head comparisons in the shop at the time with other competing products.

They still produce some of the best percussion instrument reproduction in the frequency range I've ever heard-and I still have my pair of Contrabass subs as reference.

I do agree however, that refitting the Basstech 7 cabinets for sale in Dallas with "proper" drivers is definitely a workable project.

Best regards,

John

Back in the day (late 80's) I got the same comments about my SDL5's.  People didn't like them because they were "slow", "sluggish", and so forth.

And I would agree-as compared to my 2x15" scoops, 2x18" ported cabinets.

It took me a little bit to zero in on why.  It was the time delay inside the cabinet.  Nowadays pretty common knowlege-but things were "different" back then.

I got an audio logic delay unit for the mains.  Noisy-bad HF-not much resolution (5ms intervals), there was not much else (that I could afford) available at the time.  The internal delay was around 11ms (I think) so I used 10ms as the delay. Oh how times have changed Very Happy

It did the job and the sound was much tighter and "faster".

Once again-it was not the cabinet (tool) but how it was used that made the difference.

But I still tore them up ALL the time.  I probably spent 3 times teh cost of the cabinets in repairs trying to keep them running.

It was a rare show (OK maybe 25%) that they would make it to the end of the show without damage. Mad

But then Tom changed the design and the parts were made to spec and the problems I had pretty much went away.  Oh how I wish I had the BT7's instead.

Oh well.  Days gone past.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Tim Padrick

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 08:29:10 AM »

Low frequencies don't have an impulse.  If they did, they'd be high frequencies.

If the LAB12 drivers do not fit, mount them backwards.  If the magnets hit, they could be spaced back from the baffle.  This would be a heck of a bargain if they performed properly.

Gene Hardage

• http://www.SarasotaSlim.com
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »

I knew I should have brought my camera when we went to the King Mango Strut Parade in Coconut Grove earlier this week.  The announcer at the corner where the parade turns had a PA set up with several ServoDrive cabs.  Interesting stuff - too bad they didn't have a chance to do any real damage with them - mostly announcing the next goofy low budget parade participants.
Gene SARASOTA SLIM Hardage
http://www.SarasotaSlim.com

Eric Dodson

• http://www.specialeventaudio.com
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 10:59:05 PM »

Well, it seems that I peaked someone's interest when I mentioned that we had 6 BT7's for sale. (I'm not sure if it was as a result of posting here or not) Mitch sold them to someone in NC last week and I shipped them off today, (2 very large pallets with 3 BT7 per pallet!).
Just for the record; we still have some spare belts, parts and 3 cone's if anyone here knows some who needs them....
Cheers.
Eric Dodson

Ben Outerbridge

Re: Found this deal for you Texas guys-Are you sure?
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 09:45:26 PM »

I own 8 BT7's. The summer I got them I went through a ton of belts. (I was overpowering them) Once I sorted that problem out, the metal rod that the belts spin on got corroded (Bermuda salt spray air) and was chewing through the belts nightly. Anyway, I got irritated and investigated on how to load the cabinet with regular drivers. 6 months later I got over it, cleaned the rods, and ordered some more belts.
I couldn't find any 15 or 12 that could fit where the servocones are attached. If anyone has managed to do so I would love to hear about it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.