ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Live Vocal Rig  (Read 6200 times)

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

Live Vocal Rig
« on: December 26, 2009, 03:27:54 PM »

Soon, I will be taking a small step back from my income duo (running sound for bar bands, and performing solo acoustic gigs). I'm ready to get back into a full, original band, focusing solely on vocals (Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, etc). I have a decent Pa setup we will be using. Having someone run sound for us is still up in the air, so that needs to be taken into consideration as well. What I'm looking to achieve is a rig I can not only use with my rig, but take with me (in rack case) to venues when they are using theirs. What do you suggest for me? Multi effects, delay (tap delay?), eq, compressor, pre amp, etc?

My FOH PA Rig:
-Yamaha MG166cx Mixer
-(2) Yamaha SW118 Subs
-(2) Yamaha BR15 Mains
-(2) Crown XLS 802d Amps
-DOD SR835 Crossover
-dbx 266xl Compressor

I've got a couple options for my vocal mics, I have some SM58's, Beta 58a, and Sennheiser e945. I've read some things such as Tap Delay (pedal or rack), DBX 286a, TC M350 or Lexicon MX200, and some other things. I also plan to soon add a dbx DriveRack PA to my system.

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Rob Timmerman

Re: Live Vocal Rig
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 06:09:07 PM »

Start with a good mic that suits your voice.

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 06:13:26 PM »

Rob Timmerman wrote on Sat, 26 December 2009 17:09

Start with a good mic that suits your voice.

I have. Either a 58a or e945.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Caleb Dick

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 08:24:39 PM »

A fancy pre/comp/FX/whatever will only do a tiny fraction of what good speakers (properly powered and processed), run by an experienced tech, will give you.  

If it were me, I'd look at something like an A-T AE5400 mic, 01V96 or LS9-16 mixer, and a pair of EAW NT26's.  Can all fit into a medium, wheeled trunk to boot.

Caleb

Caleb Dick
AVE
-----------------
Why waste time with second best

Experience is something you get just after you need it

Greg Cameron

• http://www.cameronproaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 08:41:41 PM »

I suspect the e945 is a better starting point. The Beta 58a seems to work ok only for a limited range of vocalists.

Greg
Cameron Pro Audio.

"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 11:13:12 PM »

Caleb Dick wrote on Sat, 26 December 2009 19:24

A fancy pre/comp/FX/whatever will only do a tiny fraction of what good speakers (properly powered and processed), run by an experienced tech, will give you.  

If it were me, I'd look at something like an A-T AE5400 mic, 01V96 or LS9-16 mixer, and a pair of EAW NT26's.  Can all fit into a medium, wheeled trunk to boot.

Caleb

At this point, I am sticking with a mic I already have invested in, and one that I feel sounds pretty good. That being the e945. Those boards and speakers are completely out of my budget. But I do plan to upgrade both, and have my eyes on some that are of higher quality, especially the speakers.

Anyway, back to my original question....
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Walter Wright

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 09:23:34 PM »

were you going to run your mic through all this stuff on stage before it gets sent to FOH (which would likely mess up your monitors and annoy the house guy), get him to insert it on your channel at the board (which would also likely mess up your monitors if they're run from there and annoy the house guy), or try to get him to patch it in properly, with preamps in-line, compressors split-channeled or inserted on subgroups, and effects sent through auxes (which would sound best, but would probably really annoy the house guy)?
Professional Guitar Repair Tech,
Semi-professional Sound Guy

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 02:59:38 AM »

Walter Wright wrote on Sun, 27 December 2009 20:23

were you going to run your mic through all this stuff on stage before it gets sent to FOH (which would likely mess up your monitors and annoy the house guy), get him to insert it on your channel at the board (which would also likely mess up your monitors if they're run from there and annoy the house guy), or try to get him to patch it in properly, with preamps in-line, compressors split-channeled or inserted on subgroups, and effects sent through auxes (which would sound best, but would probably really annoy the house guy)?

I'm not really sure...

The rack stuff idea was meant to be with the FOH guy, controlled by him. The thought of having the Effects/Tap Delay pedal was for when we dont have a FOH guy...

This is a new band, so some huge production isnt how its going to be. Atleast not yet. I'm not going to have a superb FOH guy, a seperate monitor engineer, EAW's, etc...

Side note - as for mics, alternative to e945...what do you guys think of the PR22? Or any other mic that may be better for me than the e945, in that price range (sub $225)?
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Caleb Dick

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 12:02:38 PM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Sun, 27 December 2009 23:59

Side note - as for mics, alternative to e945...what do you guys think of the PR22? Or any other mic that may be better for me than the e945, in that price range (sub $225)?

Heil PR35 with some looking, and AE5400 if used are just under that.  Unless it just doesn't fit your voice, the 945 isn't bad at all.

Caleb
Caleb Dick
AVE
-----------------
Why waste time with second best

Experience is something you get just after you need it

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 12:38:07 PM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Mon, 28 December 2009 00:59

Side note - as for mics, alternative to e945...what do you guys think of the PR22?

As a vocal mic? I hate it. See my review in that section.
It's a reasonable snare drum mic, though.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 17 queries.