ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Electro-Voice 848 CDP Horns, remember these?  (Read 31218 times)

Dan Brandesky

Re: Electro-Voice 848 CDP Horns, remember these?
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 06:30:21 PM »

I dunno, I think we can fix it...what do you guys think?  Laughing

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_k5nVhfdbQnA/Szk4Mwi7VkI/AAAAAAAABeE/6HBLPYhIuGo/s400/HPIM2149.JPG

-Dan
Why do I need cymbal overheads? I'll just use SM58s on the vocals.

Art Welter

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 07:55:19 PM »

Dan Brandesky wrote on Mon, 28 December 2009 16:30

I dunno, I think we can fix it...what do you guys think?  Laughing

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_k5nVhfdbQnA/Szk4Mwi7VkI/AAAAAAAABeE/6HBLPYhIuGo/s400/HPIM2149.JPG

-Dan

Dan,

Since the VC is continuous and the former undamaged, if you were very patient you could actually spool the coil out, rewind it on the former, paint a few coats of shellac over it and be good to go.

All depends on what you think is fun to do with your time...

Art Welter

Dan Brandesky

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 08:06:23 PM »

I suppose you're right!--though I don't think I have the patience for that, as I would basically have to unwind and rewind the whole coil, since it's sort of all tangled up right now. I think I'll just opt for a new one.

-Dan

Dan Brandesky

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 09:56:30 PM »

OK, I have another question, this time about high pass filters. I don't necessarily plan on using an amp with HP filtering built-in, so I wanted to install some capacitors to high pass the horn drivers at 200 Hz. The datasheet from EV recommends a 100uF capacitor for the job. The problem I'm finding is that 100uF non-polarized capacitors are hard to find and really expensive; like $40 apiece. I read on another site that I can't use electrolytic capacitors reliably for this purpose, so what are my other options? I'd like to keep it simple if possible, but I also want to try to keep it cheap...

EDIT: Nevermind, Mouser website just doesn't seem to have them for some reason. Parts Express to the rescue!

-Dan

Rob Timmerman

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 10:09:08 PM »

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail& amp;name=P1284-ND

Parts Express has some as well.

Art Welter

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 09:30:13 PM »

You can parallel capacitors to come up with larger values, sometimes that will be more cost effective.

Going with a 12 dB passive filter (coil and cap) would allow more protection, and a lower xover point using a smaller cap.

For instance, a 100 uf cap crosses an 8 ohm driver at about 200 HZ, using a 9 mH coil and 70 uf cap is also 200 HZ.

Do you really want 100 HZ to be only 6 dB down with that horn?

Dan Brandesky

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 09:32:56 PM »

Good point. I had seen articles mentioning using a combination cap and coil, but never really got a great indication of how to use it. I already ordered the caps too, but I will look into getting a coil into the equation at some point as well. I'm pretty sure the cap will be sufficient for the most part, as long as I'm not trying to replicate sonic booms through the horns...or causing them.

-Dan

Art Welter

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 02:57:27 PM »

Dan Brandesky wrote on Tue, 29 December 2009 19:32

Good point. I had seen articles mentioning using a combination cap and coil, but never really got a great indication of how to use it. I already ordered the caps too, but I will look into getting a coil into the equation at some point as well. I'm pretty sure the cap will be sufficient for the most part, as long as I'm not trying to replicate sonic booms through the horns...or causing them.

-Dan

For a second order HP, the cap goes in series and the coil goes in parallel with the driver.
Sonic booms aside, there is a lot of energy in music and even speech below 200 HZ, it is all a matter of level.
A six dB per octave crossover will allow four times the power to the driver an octave below the crossover point than a 12 dB per octave crossover.
Even though that power may not burn the voice coil, it makes for more distortion.
Using it at low level in your living room, no big deal, but using it for something where you actually want to run music through at much level, it is.
It does not take much power to melt the voice coil off the former.

Dan Brandesky

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 11:35:33 AM »

Well, I'm back, this time I have questions about actually using these horns for an event I have coming up. I need to cover an ampitheatre, it basically looks like a miniature Roman ampitheatre; half-round seating, stone-and-earth construction, and the seating goes up at about a 45 degree angle. The stage are is the other half of the circle basically. I'm wondering if I should put one horn on each side of the stage, or couple them together on one side of the stage to cover the whole area. I'm also wondering if I should flip them sideways for the greater vertical coverage. I'm pretty sure two of them could cover the audience area even at 60 degrees horizontal coverage, but I'm not sure if it's really necessary to do so or not.

I still haven't gotten the other one working, as I'm missing 1 part, but I'm looking into getting that right now. More to come...

-Dan

Art Welter

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 05:03:36 PM »

Dan Brandesky wrote on Tue, 27 April 2010 09:35

Well, I'm back, this time I have questions about actually using these horns for an event I have coming up. I need to cover an ampitheatre, it basically looks like a miniature Roman ampitheatre; half-round seating, stone-and-earth construction, and the seating goes up at about a 45 degree angle. The stage are is the other half of the circle basically. I'm wondering if I should put one horn on each side of the stage, or couple them together on one side of the stage to cover the whole area. I'm also wondering if I should flip them sideways for the greater vertical coverage. I'm pretty sure two of them could cover the audience area even at 60 degrees horizontal coverage, but I'm not sure if it's really necessary to do so or not.

I still haven't gotten the other one working, as I'm missing 1 part, but I'm looking into getting that right now. More to come...

-Dan

Get them up high, point them down at the crowd.

All the sound coming from one side will probably sound lop sided.

Orient the horn so the dispersion pattern matches what you are trying to cover, typically you need to cover more horizontally than vertical, so the diffraction horn would be mounted long axis up and down.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.