ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it me?..or is PSAV very expensive?..Or maybe thats just the normal price?..Help!  (Read 10769 times)

Ben Lagman

Okay, so one of my clients asked if I could arrange some type of audio-visual setup for them in a ballroom, since they are expecting a nice setup for a change, instead of the bit plain setup they are normally used to with be being the DJ. They wanted some extra equipment, other than the usual uplighting I do, so I contacted the PSAV department in one of the elidgible hotels that we thought to have the general session for. So I asked PSAV to see how much a setup with the following equipment I would need, and what I listed, and came to a Estimate of $8,461. I looked on the list, and saw some lights that were very expensive. For example,$60 to rent a Source 4 Par, for ONE DAY?! I could rent one for a week, for less than $25. Let alone me using 6 of them. Can you guys just tell me if I'm better of just going with another A/V company?.. Thanks!
“Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option”

Ben Lagman

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2718/tbdevent201011.jpg

sorry, I uploaded the wrong picture second, haha.
“Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option”

Will Lane

• http://www.lighthouseprod.com

You are probably stuck with PSAV at least for the rigging parts.  Most hotels will ONLY let their in house provider rig.  

Considering that its not really that far out of line...

EDIT: if this is at the venue I think its at...your client should have no issue with PSAVs rates...its a pretty swanky place (no pun intended).
-will
LH Productions Inc.
Ryder Truck Rental Enthusiast

Ben Lagman

Will Lane wrote on Mon, 21 December 2009 15:29

You are probably stuck with PSAV at least for the rigging parts.  Most hotels will ONLY let their in house provider rig.  

Considering that its not really that far out of line...

EDIT: if this is at the venue I think its at...your client should have no issue with PSAVs rates...its a pretty swanky place (no pun intended).

Heheheh, I might be thinking that your thinking it's at Mohegan Sun?... xp

Will Lane

• http://www.lighthouseprod.com

I am thinking that...they have PSAV in house iirc
-will
LH Productions Inc.
Ryder Truck Rental Enthusiast

Gus Housen

In house Av is almost always more expensive. Consder that PSAV is probably paying back up to 50% to the hotel as commision.
You rock...We roll!

Ken Freeman

There are a lot of alternatives out there, but know that you will also pay a huge price for power and rigging that may or may not be included in this. That being said, I have heard that far larger discounts are available if you push the point.  I have one client just get 75% off in Chicago.  Best of luck.

Ken

Larry Majercin

Ken Freeman wrote on Mon, 21 December 2009 19:59

(snip)That being said, I have heard that far larger discounts are available if you push the point.
Ken

Two points (coming from a guy who was in-house av for way too many years that I care to remember).
1.  You're probably stuck w/ using them for Kens original point.  If they allow you to provide your own equip, they make it up on charging for EVERYTHING else... power is a huge ticket item.  Hotels are very leery in giving up their 50% commission without getting something in return.
2.  Most in-house AV guys are NOT salesmen.  They are av geeks who got promoted up.  If you're dealing w/ him directly... put the squeeze on.... haggle... let it be known that if you don't get a decent price, you will bring in your own equipment.  
They want to make a sale... any sale, and usually they don't have to account for what is put in the room. The AV company bosses don't frequent the facilities much, and the hotel sales people don't have a clue what the items are.

Good luck.
Larry Majercin
Managing General Partner - Presentation Technology Group
Eugene, OR

Matt Geiser

Yes PSAV, and pretty much any inhouse outfit is going to be more expensive then bringing in your own stuff.

There are several find lighting companies that might be able to save you some cash on the gear but you'll still end up with their truss/motors/riggers.  It's not a huge rig so the difference might not be worth it but check it out.  You can PM me for comapnies to contact.

You could also just try haggling, as suggested.  A lot of inhouse AV groups are really hungry right now.  When the economy was good they got away with this kind of pricing.  When times got tight smaller, more agile companies were easily able to undercut them.  Now they're being more competitive to get back in the game.

Jason Lavoie

$15 for a power strip? wow. I feel guilty charging $1-2 for them!

Jason

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND

Jason Lavoie wrote on Fri, 01 January 2010 12:16

Jason

Yea, I can buy 50' VGA cables for 50 bucks... What the hell...

Makes me glad I don't have to deal with this stuff up in my area.... yet...
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

E. Lee Dickinson

• http://www.leedickinson.com

Orrrr.... we could all follow their lead and keep the value in AV instead of sucking the money out of it the way we've done with bar bands. Razz
E. Lee Dickinson
Advanced Visual Production Inc.
sound - lighting - video - design
www.avpric.com

Brad Weber

Adam Whetham wrote on Fri, 08 January 2010 01:54

Jason Lavoie wrote on Fri, 01 January 2010 12:16

Jason

Yea, I can buy 50' VGA cables for 50 bucks... What the hell...

Makes me glad I don't have to deal with this stuff up in my area.... yet...

But you aren't having a large percentage of what is charged go to another party, don't have a commitment to have sufficient gear and people available on short notice, don't have to provide free equipment for some events, aren't covering power and other services, etc., all of which are also typically part of being an in-house provider.  I'm not trying to justify what is charged, just noting that you can't really directly compare the two situations.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

John Birchman, CTS

• http://www.jrbtechnical.com/

Just read this:

5 Myths of using In-House A/V:

http://grassshackroad.com/uncategorized/5-myths-of-using-in- house-av

John
John Birchman, CTS
Freelance AV and Stage Technician
JRB Technical
Lake Buena Vista, FL
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.