ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Case Builders Unite  (Read 5858 times)

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

Re: Case Builders Unite
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 02:51:39 PM »

Thanks Tom. I've got nothin but time!
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Rick Powell

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 03:06:48 PM »

Dyslexic case builders untie!

Another good method for cutting foam is a double-blade carving knife, the kind you'd use for a turkey or roast.  You can cut a very straight and vertical line with it, with no snags or hanging chads.  Just take a straightedge and mark your foam with a fine tipped Sharpie, and carefully hold the knife for a vertical cut and follow the line as you go.
Rick Powell
StudioLive 16:4:2
JTR Triple 8 Mains
Danley TH115 Subwoofers
Bag End TA15 Floor Monitors
Crown xti6000/4000/2000

"There are two types of people...those who divide people into two types, and those who don't."

Bruce Pritchard

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 03:19:01 PM »

Rick Powell wrote on Sat, 12 December 2009 14:06

Dyslexic case builders untie!

Another good method for cutting foam is a double-blade carving knife, the kind you'd use for a turkey or roast.  You can cut a very straight and vertical line with it, with no snags or hanging chads.  Just take a straightedge and mark your foam with a fine tipped Sharpie, and carefully hold the knife for a vertical cut and follow the line as you go.

You mean electric right? Razz

Rick Powell

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 04:42:37 PM »

Electric Very Happy

Rick Powell
StudioLive 16:4:2
JTR Triple 8 Mains
Danley TH115 Subwoofers
Bag End TA15 Floor Monitors
Crown xti6000/4000/2000

"There are two types of people...those who divide people into two types, and those who don't."

Jeff Wheeler

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 06:07:39 PM »

Hi, BJ, I hope you don't mind an idea.  I have looked on The Google for "DIY case kits" and not found anything.  If someone sold all the hardware and a simple instruction sheet for putting it all together, people could potentially save money by purchasing a kit, buying their lumber locally, and doing their own assembly.  Obviously most people will not own a rivet gun, but if you sold a kit and plan that customers could put together with common power tools, that could be a good little business.

It costs over $100 to UPS a mid-sized rack case or road trunk.  Just reducing that to $20 for shipping a box of casters, ball corners, rails, screws, etc. might give people with spare time a good cost savings.  But it's a pain to find all that hardware.  Since you have already done most of the work ... draw some plans and sell kits. Smile
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ

David Little

• http://www.dblittle.com
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 07:58:21 PM »

Save yourself some time and frustration - use the double angle extrusions for corners and the break-apart T&G for lids. Check your local fastener wholesalers - shipping tee-nuts, screws and rivets can get costly.

There is a very narrow margin in standard cases. To make a living you will need to target the custom case market. It helps if one of your customers write a column in one of the trade rags. (RIP Mark Amundson)

David Little

http://dblittle.com
http://www.dblittle.com/catalog/images/dblit310x90b.gif

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 07:59:48 PM »

Jeff Wheeler wrote on Sat, 12 December 2009 17:07

Hi, BJ, I hope you don't mind an idea.  I have looked on The Google for "DIY case kits" and not found anything.  If someone sold all the hardware and a simple instruction sheet for putting it all together, people could potentially save money by purchasing a kit, buying their lumber locally, and doing their own assembly.  Obviously most people will not own a rivet gun, but if you sold a kit and plan that customers could put together with common power tools, that could be a good little business.

It costs over $100 to UPS a mid-sized rack case or road trunk.  Just reducing that to $20 for shipping a box of casters, ball corners, rails, screws, etc. might give people with spare time a good cost savings.  But it's a pain to find all that hardware.  Since you have already done most of the work ... draw some plans and sell kits. Smile

Not a bad idea...I'll chew on it Smile

Most of my business would come locally, so shipping wouldnt be much of an issue, but once it gets out of my area I can see what you are saying.

Thanks guys....keep em comin'!
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Marlow Wilson

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 09:36:31 PM »

Bob Leonard wrote on Sat, 12 December 2009 07:01

Benjamin,
In your other thread you've asked how to succeed in this business. While making a case or two may fill some time and waste some money it won't enhance your appearance with the paying customers regardless of how well the cases are made.

If this is a part of the business plan it's a part you should remove.

Take a look at the link below. These are the cases I use and to be honest if you can't make cases at least this good you shouldn't make them at all.

http://roadreadycases.cust.shopatron.com/dyn_category.php?k= 113874

+1

If you need income try to find something more certain.  If you need a hobby start soldering stuff.  If you crave sawdust, check out the Bill Fitzmaurice site or start building something in greater demand and to wider audience.  I have ventured into virtually every aspect of SR/music and many other aspects of life that exist in the gray area between hobbies and real work.  The result?  I have way too many power tools and sound equipment that brings me joy and modest returns.  For a while I also built concrete countertops did commercial cabinetry.  There was way more money there than in SR, but still less steady and more work than my day job.  Last year I also DJ'd three nights a week while off from school.  I do SR because it makes me smile, and as a part time hobby it is modest relative golf and fancy cars, balanced only by the income part.   If I tried to pay myself for the time I spend finding 'deals' and engaging in 'training' (reading stuff like this on PSW) my business would be broke, something I suspect is true of many here.

I'd try to establish connections in your community and pursue business ventures where there is actual opportunity.  Follow demand, don't try to create it.  You'll find there isn't a very big market for b-grade custom cases.
I should probably be doing something else right now....
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 15 queries.