ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New Guy - Wants To Learn More!  (Read 16904 times)

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

New Guy - Wants To Learn More!
« on: December 10, 2009, 02:12:07 AM »

A brief introduction of myself...I am 24 years young, from Central Ohio, and moving to Phoenix in April of 2010. I've run sound for several years, had a small recording setup at one time and play guitar and sing. 14 months ago, upon my return from Orlando, I got bit by the SR bug. Since then, I have constantly upgraded and added to my rig. Recently, in the last 6 months, I have left playing behind, and turned solely to SR for paying my bills. I know enough to get me by, but I really want to gain more knowledge and experience so that I can get to where I really want to be. I feel I've put together a decent rig for what I currently use it for (running sound for other bands, 100-250 occupants), and is a great base to grow upon. But its now time to look towards the future.

Currently, heres the important pieces of my rig:

-Yamaha MG166cx Mixer (wanting to upgrade to Yamaha MG24)
-(2) Yamaha BR15 Tops (wanting to upgrade to Yamaha SV215v's)
-(2) Yamaha BR15m Monitors
-(2) Yamaha BR12m Monitors
-(2) Yamaha SW118v Subs (wanting to add a SW218v or two)
-(2) Crown XLS 802d Power Amps
-(1) Crown XLS 202d Power Amp
-(3) Shure SM58's
-(1) Shure SM57
-(1) Shure PG58
-(1) Shure Beta 58a
-(1) Sennheiser E602 (for kick, want to upgrade to beta 52)
-(1) OSP 50' 16x8 Stage Snake
-(1) DOD SR835 Crossover (upgrading to dbx DriveRack+)
-(2) 2ch Fostex 3070's (OLD!)
-(2) Furman Power Conditioners
-(1) Behringer FBQ3102 for monitors(temporary til dbx, i hate behringer)
-And almost all speaker,mic,instrument,patch,insert cables from Livewire (love em)

I barely get by right now, so I am really hoping to kick it up a few notches between now and April, and really get into the game once I hit Phoenix. I just got a 6x12 Enclosed Trailer to house and store everything in, so I am thrilled about that. I am also getting ready to start building and selling Custom ATA Flight style cases for anything and anyone. Hopefully next year I will be able to offer decent live recordings (leaning toward Presonus FireStudio Project). Also thinking about getting a SMALL light setup to enhance my selling point. But as I said, I am constantly adding and upgrading whenever possible. I have acquired all of this equipment over the last 14 months. I am also a member on Recording.org

Surprisingly I dont have any questions at the moment, but this looks like a great website geared toward my way of life, so hopefully I can meet some cool, knowledgeable people and learn alot of new things to better my small business. I have plans of growing my business, but that will take time, knowledge and experience. If anyone knows of anyone in the Columbus Ohio area (for now til April), or Phoenix Arizona area (starting in April) that I could get with to gain experience, please let me know! I think thats about all for now. I'm sure I will post threads from time to time, but I will mostly be in the background READING READING READING! Also, I am a search-before-posting kind of guy, no worries.

BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
index.php/fa/26787/0/
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Jeff Wheeler

Re: New Guy - Wants To Learn More!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 06:14:06 AM »

Hi, BJ, I thought I would comment on a few of the gear upgrades you are planning.  I hope you don't mind the "input."

benjamin fisher wrote on Thu, 10 December 2009 01:12

While the MG24/14FX is inexpensive and a good value at its price-point, I honestly would rather have the Venice look-alike from Behringer and a good outboard FX unit.  That's not to say I like Behringer mixers; but that Yamaha is a budget product with very limited EQ and the FX are nothing to get excited about (IMO.)  Also, don't limit yourself to the input count on the 24.  There is little cost difference between the 24 and 32, and it's not too bad to carry the 32 around.

I thought long and hard about those mixers and instead bought a Soundcraft LX7ii and a Lexicon MX400.  I am glad I did.

Quote:

The C215V is about the same price and has texture finish.  The S model has carpet, which will smell like bars pretty soon after you buy them.

I have three pairs of 2x15s.  While I am happy with them for the jobs I do, I wish I could trade one or two pairs in for some good 1x12s.  I will likely do this next year.  FYI my 2x15 of choice is the MRX525.  I did not buy small, high-output 1x12s when I got those because I recognize that big stacks of speakers is a visible aspect of my production, and bands want to feel like they have a zillion watts of PA for their 100 - 200 listeners, even if some good, 40 pound 1x12s would be as good or better.

Quote:

The SW218V will give you about as much output as one JBL SRX718S.  The JBL will need more amplification, but a bigger amp is easier to load-in than subs that are twice as big.  Not to mention, trailer space is saved with higher-output subs.  Demo some other subs before you commit to more Yamaha club-series.

Quote:

-And almost all speaker,mic,instrument,patch,insert cables from Livewire (love em)

Livewire stuff is decent-quality and not really over-priced, but you may find cheaper cables of similar or better quality from www.audiopile.net, a vendor that is well-liked on this forum.
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 06:28:25 AM »

Jeff - Certainly, input and suggestions are always welcome!

Mixer - I was tossing around the idea of the MG32 as well, if I can get a good deal on it, I wouldnt be opposed to it instead of the MG24. But to be honest, that is about as far as my budget stretches. Channel wise, 24 would truly be sufficient for what I do, but I know you are suggesting to look ahead, which I should probably do. That soundcraft looks great, just a little more than I will be able to spend.

Tops - Again, budget was on my mind Smile And  yes, I agree, visual plays a big part when bands are booking a sound guy  Confused

Subs - My plan with the 218 was to put on one side, and then just move my singles together on the other side. Those JBLs are $$$!

Cables - I'll check out audiopile, never heard of them. I've just had great experiences with the Livewires, affordable and lifetime warranty!

I know I really need to make some decisions on how much money I'm willing to spend, and what I'm wanting to do in the long run. I guess I just need to see how things go over the next year and make sure its going to be worth it. If it is, I would be more than willing to step up to the nicer JBL stuff. Thanks for the input, makes me think more long term. Time will tell!
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Jeff Wheeler

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 06:44:54 AM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Thu, 10 December 2009 05:28

That soundcraft looks great, just a little more than I will be able to spend.

You can pretty much find them on eBay within your budget.  A new MixWiz would also be affordable and still give you 2 mid-sweeps, though you will get fewer channels of course.  I would suggest you shop the aftermarket before buying the Yamaha.

Outboard FX are nice too, because they will stay with you for a long time even as you change consoles; and you can easily bring them with you to gigs where you have a house PA to use.

I honestly would rather have a Behringer XL3200 and good FX than a Yamaha MG-series.  Maybe that makes me an evil bastard, but my limited experience (which is about the same as yours) has so far made me think that useful channel strip EQ is the most important thing on a mixer at this level.
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 06:52:40 AM »

Jeff Wheeler wrote on Thu, 10 December 2009 05:44

benjamin fisher wrote on Thu, 10 December 2009 05:28

That soundcraft looks great, just a little more than I will be able to spend.

You can pretty much find them on eBay within your budget.  A new MixWiz would also be affordable and still give you 2 mid-sweeps, though you will get fewer channels of course.  I would suggest you shop the aftermarket before buying the Yamaha.

Outboard FX are nice too, because they will stay with you for a long time even as you change consoles; and you can easily bring them with you to gigs where you have a house PA to use.

I honestly would rather have a Behringer XL3200 and good FX than a Yamaha MG-series.  Maybe that makes me an evil bastard, but my limited experience (which is about the same as yours) has so far made me think that useful channel strip EQ is the most important thing on a mixer at this level.

Actually I never really considered it, but maybe I should start looking into lightly used higher end equipment. Good thinking (I think thats what you may have been getting at)
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Duncan McLennan

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 08:26:33 AM »

Definitely.  If you're a little flexible on brand and purchase timing, you can buy used touring level gear for nearly the same it costs to get new MI grade equipment.

That's always what I've done.  In fact I don't think I've ever bought a new piece of equipment aside from a few mics (even bought mostly used mics) and cables, etc.
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 08:28:28 AM »

Duncan McLennan wrote on Thu, 10 December 2009 07:26

Definitely.  If you're a little flexible on brand and purchase timing, you can buy used touring level gear for nearly the same it costs to get new MI grade equipment.

That's always what I've done.  In fact I don't think I've ever bought a new piece of equipment aside from a few mics (even bought mostly used mics) and cables, etc.

Great. Where do you suggest I look once I'm ready, aside from ebay and craigslist?
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Duncan McLennan

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 08:37:50 AM »

The LAB Marketplace is great, I've bought gear there before.  Lots of good quality equipment on there, and you can be pretty sure the person selling it knows how to use it, and if it's good stuff or not.

Also local sound companies often clear out older gear that's perfectly useable, and music stores often sale rental inventory.  That one can be a little risky, but some offer warranties on rental gear, and if it's only a year old bargains can be had.
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 08:39:40 AM »

Sounds good, thanks. Yeah, thats my big concern about buying used items from some moron. Hence the reason I've bought 95% of my rig new  Confused
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Jonathan Wiegratz

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 09:43:05 AM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Thu, 10 December 2009 02:12

Currently, heres the important pieces of my rig:

-(2) Yamaha BR15m Monitors
-(2) Yamaha BR12m Monitors
-(2) Crown XLS 802d Power Amps
-(1) Crown XLS 202d Power Amp
-(3) Shure SM58's
-(1) Shure SM57
-(1) Shure PG58
-(1) Shure Beta 58a
-(1) Sennheiser E602 (for kick, want to upgrade to beta 52)
-(1) OSP 50' 16x8 Stage Snake
-(1) DOD SR835 Crossover (upgrading to dbx DriveRack+)
-(2) 2ch Fostex 3070's (OLD!)
-(2) Furman Power Conditioners
-(1) Behringer FBQ3102 for monitors(temporary til dbx, i hate behringer)

My take... and input on what you're trying to do.

Mixer - Grab an Allen & Heath MixWiz3 16:2... all the direct outs you could ever want for recording.  Built in fx and "6" aux's.
Tops - For your listed crowd size of up to 250 people.  Forget about unpowered junk.  Get a nice pair of QSC K12's with the matching subs, or their HPR122i's with matching subs.  WAYYYY better bang for your buck and you'll immediately see dividends with your clientele.
Monitors - QSC K10's.  Brilliant little things, they are.
Amps -  No need anymore! Sell them and get a little cash back to put elsewhere
Mics - Your vocal mics seem decent enough,  although I'd look at an Audix D5 for kick drums over the Beta52.
DSP - Driverack PX... If you're lazy and don't want to custom tune, it has the QSC presets already built in.
Other - Grab a DBX 1066 or a couple 166xl's for a few channels of compression.
Boston Common Band - Boston Wedding Bands - New England Wedding Bands
Turbosound TQ445DP's & QSC GP218 + GP212's | PLX2 Amps
MixWiz3 | DBX 260 | ACP88 | LED Lighting
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.