ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Down

Author Topic: BEHRINGER OWNER BUYS MIDAS/KT  (Read 46329 times)

John Chiara

Re: BEHRINGER OWNER BUYS MIDAS/KT
« Reply #170 on: December 21, 2009, 10:36:55 pm »

Ian Hunt wrote on Sat, 19 December 2009 13:57

John Roberts  {JR} wrote on Sat, 19 December 2009 12:52

Ian Hunt wrote on Sat, 19 December 2009 10:59

Apologies if you don't like the answer but I thought the question was show me a company selling product in the lo, mid & hi end of their market. Mercedes meet that definition with the cars mentioned, all of which are successful in many Mercedes markets, the Smart has only recently come on sale here, time will tell if there is sufficient volume for the USA to stand amongst the successful Smart markets.

The Maybach costs a fortune and by the standards of the over 400K class sells well enough.

Then there is the Mercedes Benz line, I think they have been successful in the 121 years they've been making cars.

Ian

Again, I won't argue about your perception, and will try not to weasel the definition of my thesis too much.  Rolling Eyes

Mercedes is no doubt successful (if we ignore Chrysler), but in my mind are still an upper to upper-mid positioned car brand. Many companies have tried to be all things to all people and some in head scratching ways. I recall one series of advertisements from Ford, including all of their sundry car badges in one ad, (several sold or retired now). My response was WTF are they trying to accomplish? IMO such an ad will impress maybe 10% of the audience, and confuse or diminish the image of the other brands positioned above the Ford badge, which is all  of the other brands. Kind of like shooting yourself in your wallet.  

Sorry if I hijacked this away from an Uli bashing rant... but I have been a student of brand management ever since it was a day job (among others), and I think the brands involved are what he bought to exploit, because they aren't Behringer and locked into that Behringer place in the consumer's perception.  It would be far cheaper and easier to just copy the successful KT and Midas SKUs, if he could do that and succeed in their market niche.  

JR

I agree, Mercedes brand perception is upper to middle class, I think they are hoping that the cachet will trickle down and make the Smart more desirable. I looked up the sales figures, since it went on sale in the US (mar 08) 38,553 have been sold, no idea what MB need to make it work though.

Ian

I am already seeing them used around here.

"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

Kristian Johnsen

• http://www.partyfabrikken.no
« Reply #171 on: December 22, 2009, 06:53:11 am »

John Roberts  {JR} wrote on Tue, 22 December 2009 03:18

Kristian Johnsen wrote on Mon, 21 December 2009 19:21

Bad attitude? opinions vary.. I like velocity within reason. A good car, on a good road sounds very appealing. Driving a fast car slow, is using the wrong tool for the job, and makes nobody very happy.

JR

I was referring to other aspects of inter-motorist interaction than just velocity.

Callan Carnahan

« Reply #172 on: December 22, 2009, 08:46:35 am »

Jon Martin wrote on Tue, 08 December 2009 13:50

As much as we like demonize Uli, he is a very sharp guy and also a musician himself. (gasp! did he just say that??)

Find me some Behringer compressors that say "Made in Germany" on the back and I'd put them side by side with the higher end competition's compressors.
Audio wise you'd be hard pressed to dismiss them as "crap".

+1 to Jon. I've got some early/mid 90's Behringer comps (with the "Made In Germany" sticker) though I'm not sure exactly what year that really do perform pretty well. And just to convince myself that they really aren't as bad as I thought they were, I recorded some stuff with them and they really do sound similar to most other low-end comps out there. And I snagged 2 of them for $40 on Craig's List  Razz  Can't beat that.

Uli had to know how to do something in the way of sound, whether it was entreprenuering in the business or actually the logistics of sound....he ended up doing something right  Confused

God help Midas and KT though. I hope they don't fall into the China stranglehold that everyone else has. I hope they just use this as an oppurtunity to build some revenue while keeping their products the same (for the most part!).
Callan Carnahan

Bob Lee (QSC)

« Reply #173 on: December 22, 2009, 12:38:08 pm »

Very true. Everyone knows that MB is behind Smart, but MB protects its own brand status by not putting its name or logo on the Smart.
Bob Lee
Applications Engineer, Tech Services Group QSC Audio
Secretary, Audio Engineering Society
www.linkedin.com/in/qscbob

"If it sounds good, it is good."
 -Duke Ellington

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
re: the Smart car
« Reply #174 on: December 22, 2009, 12:57:28 pm »

I think everyone is missing the point of the Smart car.

It is not intended to be a highway machine.

It is designed for use in crowded cities where maneuverability and the ability to park in tiny spaces are more important than 0 to 60 time or highway MPG.

Of course, it's really not much smaller than a Miata or an S2000, and has similar trunk space, so I really don't see the point.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Art Welter

Re: re: the Smart car
« Reply #175 on: December 22, 2009, 01:24:42 pm »

Andy Peters wrote on Tue, 22 December 2009 10:57

It is designed for use in crowded cities where maneuverability and the ability to park in tiny spaces are more important than 0 to 60 time or highway MPG.

Of course, it's really not much smaller than a Miata or an S2000, and has similar trunk space, so I really don't see the point.

-a

Actually, comparing the Smart to a Mazda Miata, which many in the USA consider a small car, really brings home your point.

2009 Mazda Miata...External dimensions: overall length is 157.3” 13.1 feet  (4 m).

The second generation Smart for two's length is 8 ft 10 in (2.69 m), 51 inches (1.31m) shorter than the Miata,  almost half the length of the Smart car.

The Ford Expedition EL is 17.2 feet long (5.29m), almost double the length of a Smart car...

Art Welter

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #176 on: December 22, 2009, 02:18:23 pm »

+1...

JR

PS: It might be interesting to explore sub-brands (like amp series) within QSC and how they interact, but not at Christmas.   Merry Christmas REL

https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #177 on: December 22, 2009, 02:24:54 pm »

Andy Peters wrote on Tue, 22 December 2009 11:57

-a

I don't believe I missed that when I questioned it's suitability for the autobahn, but this was a discussion about brand management, not city cars. Or at least that's what I was discussing and it appeared (to me)  this thread was about.

While I am not beyond a good motorhead veer...  Very Happy

Did I mention I pumped up my tires the other day..(Gotta keep my CO2 low). They were down in the low 20's. Those low profile tires are hard to eyeball.

JR

-----

Bob Lee (QSC)

« Reply #178 on: December 22, 2009, 06:50:33 pm »

I've seen them quite often on the Autobahn. They'll do about 145 kph or so.
Bob Lee
Applications Engineer, Tech Services Group QSC Audio
Secretary, Audio Engineering Society
www.linkedin.com/in/qscbob

"If it sounds good, it is good."
 -Duke Ellington

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #179 on: December 22, 2009, 09:24:52 pm »

Bob Lee (QSC) wrote on Tue, 22 December 2009 17:50

I've seen them quite often on the Autobahn. They'll do about 145 kph or so.

That is moving along "smartly" but I went over 160 kph driving home from the gym tonight.  

JR

-----
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.