ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha O1V96 Cascade  (Read 7786 times)

mr_ngiau

Yamaha O1V96 Cascade
« on: May 09, 2005, 01:53:55 pm »

HI,

I'm planning to cascade 2 units of Yamaha O1V96 and use it as a live mixer.  I need 32-XLR inputs simultaneously.  How can I achieve that?  And I need to have 6 aux sends for stage monitors.  I also need 8 group out.  Oh, I'm also planning to hook up an Alesis HD24 recorder.  So what do I need to get to get all these hooked up?  Please advice?

Kevin

Erwin Mol

Re: Yamaha O1V96 Cascade
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 03:39:39 pm »

seems to me that the only inputs and outputs left are the 2-tracks.
What you could do is connect the first mixer to the second by using the 2-track send on no. 1 and use the 2-track in as input on no.2

[MIXER1]        [MIXER2]          -->[2TROUT]        [2TR-IN]

Then you use the 2-track out on mixer no. 2 to connect your Alesis.

Maybe I overlooked something, just some creative thinking going on. Have fun!

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 05:40:07 pm »

A lot of patience the first time you do this.  It is fairly easy to do, if you understand all the routing issues.

The cheapest way out (I have done it many times) is to add DON't SHOOT ME- it works just fine is 4 ADA8000 Behrigner mic pres.  They also have 8 ch of D/A on the backside that is independent of the front side.  You will also need 2 Yamaha my16-At cards.  You might can skip the mic pres if you can get by with 24 XLR mic pres and 8 line inputs and use ADAT outs, but you have to use them in multiples of 8 from each console, but you said you wanted 32 XLR.  This will give you a total of 64 channels in (54XLR and 8 line).  You will now have 22 analog outputs from each console for a total of 48.  Of course you will need several ADAT cables-2 midi cables and a RCA cable.

Like I said it takes a bit of routing, but can be done.
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

mr_ngiau

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 01:27:02 pm »

Thanks Guys... so Behringer ADA8000?  Ok... why 4 units, may I ask? And if I were to use the ADA8000 as the extra inputs, how do I control the extra 8 from the mixer in a live setting?  Never really used a digital mixer in a live setting before. Smile

Kevin

mr_ngiau

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 09:10:47 am »

Hi Ian,

errr.... kinda lost in the routing section.  The advice you gave... does that give me the following?

- 32-XLR inputs
- 8 aux out
- 8 group out
- Master out
- 24 Direct out to Alesis HD24?
- 4 Matrix out

Kevin

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 09:49:07 am »

mr_ngiau wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 09:10

Hi Ian,

errr.... kinda lost in the routing section.  The advice you gave... does that give me the following?

- 32-XLR inputs
- 8 aux out
- 8 group out
- Master out
- 24 Direct out to Alesis HD24?
- 4 Matrix out

Kevin
Each 01v96 has 12 mic in, stereo out, and 4 omni out. There is also an ADAT optical interface that gives you 8 in and 8 out via ADAT optical interfaces. You are asking for 32 mic in, 22 analog out, and 24 ADAT out. There are no matrix mixes on an 01v96. To get 32 mic in you need to add 8 more mic pre's. This is easy and cheap with a B*ger ADA8000, which also adds 8 balanced line level outputs on XLR connectors. You will use the ADAT interface on one of the 2 01v's for this. You now have your Master out, 8 aux out via the ADA8000, and 8 group out (why do you need this?) via the 4 omni outs on each console. To get the 24 direct outs to your HD24 you will need to add MY16-AT cards to each of the consoles (you could do an 8 channel MY8-AT in the console you have not used the internal interface on). This will add 32 channels of optical outs, and give you the ability to route up to 16 channels from each 01v to the HD24. Since you are using ADAT interfaces at 8 channels per lightpipe, you will be operating the console at 48KHz sample rate as ADAT does not support 96KHz except in double channel mode which is only 4 channels per lightpipe.

If you need matrix outputs you will need to add another mixer to mix down your 8 groups (there's a reason for the group out connectors).

Mac

mr_ngiau

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 10:57:29 am »

Thanks Mac.  Why do I need the 8 group out?  Well, it's to do a rough mix for every service.  For the musicians and vocalists' reference.  For them to learn where their weak points are and improve themselves.  And also to record the sunday message.

So meaning, I link the Slave unit to the Master unit via the MIDI connection?  

Kevin

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 11:07:52 am »

mr_ngiau wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 10:57

Thanks Mac.  Why do I need the 8 group out?  Well, it's to do a rough mix for every service.  For the musicians and vocalists' reference.  For them to learn where their weak points are and improve themselves.  And also to record the sunday message.

So meaning, I link the Slave unit to the Master unit via the MIDI connection?  

Kevin
I still don't get why you need the 8 group outs. Are you recording this "rough mix" as a multitrack? The 8 group outs are just individual outputs of each of your 8 subgroups. What you are describing sounds like either a matrix mix (which the 01v96 doesn't have) or a separate mix on an aux send. If you are not going to use a separate output connector off the main mix for recording because you want a different mix, it will have to be a matrix or an aux. The matrix mix can be accomplished via an external mixer as I described in my earlier post.

For details on the cascade connector and the midi connections to link, maybe Ivan will respond as he's already done this.

Mac

mr_ngiau

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 11:48:55 am »

Yes Mac, I want to create a different mix from the house mix.  Or what will you advice?

Kevin

Harold Mayo

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 01:49:43 am »

Just curious.....our church wants more inputs

On mixer #1 (01v96) w/ have a digimax LT for a total of 24 channels.  We are adding the aviom system, so our slot will be used.  

If we added a second 01v96, what would be the best way to connection it all together?
1) Using Midi In/out, we could get 24ch on #1, and 40ch on #2 (max).
2) Using Adat in/out, we could get 16ch on #1 and 32ch on #2
3) Or do I need to install the MY8-AT in each mixer and connect the adat in/outs, which would give me only 16ch on each.   This one doesn't make sense.

Our pastor has decided we need at least 40 channels total.
We also have a Yamaha AW2816, can we cascade the 2 mixers?
(sidenote: the manual for the aw2816 is one of the worst I've read in recent years....the writers should be flogged  Razz)

I think we need to upgrade to the DM1000 or the 02R96.
ManofMayo

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 01:49:43 am »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.