ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Sub Amp 2009 Florida  (Read 29987 times)

Paul Bell

• http://pbellsound.com/
Re: Best Sub Amp 2009 Florida
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2010, 10:11:58 AM »

Hey Julien,

Interesting looking amps. Are they available in the US?
Paul Bell
PBell Sound New York City
paulATpbellsound.com
User/provider for:
McCauley, BASSMAXX, APB DynaSonics, QSC, Ashly, DBX, Rane Digital, Rapco, Faital Pro

Julien Dahlem

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2010, 01:16:23 PM »

I don't know . They are used with great success by some sound systems in Europe . An email to the manufacturer should give you the answer. Its main job is to design power supplies for industrial duties .

Jason Joseph

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2010, 09:51:58 AM »

I would love to have their 4 channel LC model but unfortunately its not available... Sad

John Chiara

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 11:52:48 PM »

Anything?
"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

Randy Frierson

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2010, 12:45:34 AM »

within a couple days i will receive the 208 V transformer for the VOID Ultimate V8 and i will also receive a 208 version of the FFA 10000..We still would like to get our hands on a Studio R X12 but so far no luck.... Also we have a 115 volt version of the MC2 E90 but we are trying to get a 208 version...i should have something to post next week

I think the King Sub Amp will be one of the above...So far the most impressive sub amp for the money is the QSC PL380..If your needs are within 4000 watts at 2 ohm or below this is s FINE amp, that sounds great.. But the Hoss amp will deliver 5000 watts at 2 ohms or better..We will put the amps through a exhaustive battery of tests that will test their mettle..it's not going to be a "it meets the spec" we want to brutally force the amps to show their flaws...

In going through and talking to amp manufacturers i will say that i personally believe that the FFA 10000.. fullfataudio.com
will be a game changer as their philosophy makes the most sense, this amp was built sub specific and designed to handle low impedance and rough duty cycle, it has the reserve capacity to deliver the goods..David lee of bassmaxx will pick the winner as i may be to close to this....Randy

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2010, 07:33:47 AM »

Randy Frierson wrote on Thu, 04 February 2010 00:45

I think the King Sub Amp will be one of the above...So far the most impressive sub amp for the money is the QSC PL380..If your needs are within 4000 watts at 2 ohm or below this is s FINE amp, that sounds great.. But the Hoss amp will deliver 5000 watts at 2 ohms or better.

You do realize that the difference betwen 4000 and 5000 watts is only 1dB?

That is not enough to sway my decision either way.

If I am running a system within 1dB of max-I need a different system-or more of it.  

For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Randy Frierson

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2010, 02:07:31 PM »

Yes i understand that, but the real test (for us) will be sustainability, and the rating at 28Hz to 80Hz at a period of time..we are going for Max SPL (as they did in the UK) Our findings will be for public debate but in the end we are doing this for our very specific needs..The QSC PL 380 for most folks is all the amp you'll ever need and it sounds great and oes the job better than most..But we are targeting the best made, sub optimized amplifiers, that have been designed to pound hour upon hour and that there power supply and reserves are made to be dynamic..That is mine and David Lee's Quest..I had David build us our very own 2x18 bandpass sub that has no compromises, using the best drivers and built like no other..So now we want to find the best amp for powering them..We eventually will be offering a Power Pod Plate amp that will deliver the goods but right now we are focusing on our P-30/60 and P60/1200...I van you are brilliant and i hope to be able to have you down again soon as i learned so much from you, so i thank you always for your input..cheers   randy

Paul Bell

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 02:19:29 PM »

Is David bringing a Studio R amp to the party?
Paul Bell
paulATpbellsound.com
User/provider for:
McCauley, BASSMAXX, APB DynaSonics, QSC, Ashly, DBX, Rane Digital, Rapco, Faital Pro

David J Lee

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 03:22:58 PM »

Hi all,

I just ordered 2 Studio R X12 amps and one 120V version of their X8.

We currently have 6 of their X5 amps and they have been rock solid and very impressive.

The qualities I'm looking for in a bass amp are not related to absolute SPL numbers.  I'm looking for a quality in the bass that a bass player might refer to as 'tone'.  Not in some esoteric way, though.  The first time I heard a Studio R X5 amp it was put in place of a Powersoft K10 which is specified to have more than double the output of the X5.  I played a VERY familiar test tune on a set of 4 of our Trip boxes.  As soon as I heard it I got goose bumps.  I had never heard it or those speakers sound as full and rich.  

Last year we provided loudspeakers and amps for 3 stages at a music festival, Ultra, in Miami.  All 3 has the same speaker compliment but one had Powersoft, one had QSC and one had Studio R amps on the subs.  The Studio R stage was noticeably better on the low end.  It sounded "thicker" or "fatter" out 50' from the speakers.  

More recently I provided systems for 2 shows in the same venue with the same loudspeakers 1 month apart.  In this case the first time we set up we used QSC PL380s on the subs.  12 subs, 2 per channel on 3 amps. The sound was fantastic.  Thick and rich and full.  The next time we set up the system I had my Powersoft amps back so we used those.  Same 12 speakers 2 per channel.  No matter what I tried I could not get the same full, rich sound I got from the QSC PL380s.  

In direct side by side comparisons I have heard one amp sound better than another one one type of speaker and worse on the next type of speaker so it's not always just about which amp is best.  It's about getting the best result possible for my customers.

I could site more examples but you get the idea.  Based on my experience, I believe there is a big difference to be found between different amplifiers for bass reproduction.  I further believe in matching the right amplifier with the right speaker to get markedly superior performance.  Essentially it's not just about better products, its about offering better solutions.

Toward that end I want to test as many of the available amplifiers on a variety of subwoofers to determine both objectively and subjectively which is best for this purpose.

David J. Lee
BASSMAXX
What You Hear Is True
davidlee(at)bassmaxx.com

Paul Bell

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2010, 10:12:39 PM »

Aproching March Randy. I'll need that amp back shortly.

Was a listening test done?
Paul Bell
paulATpbellsound.com
User/provider for:

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2010, 10:12:39 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.