ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Next gen digital mixer (teaser)  (Read 12565 times)

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
Re: Next gen digital mixer (teaser)
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2009, 11:34:30 AM »

The LS9 is not a toy, no matter now much I may hate it. The product I know about (which apparently is not the same product JJJ is talking about) may end up in that price range, though.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Christian Tepfer

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2009, 03:49:59 AM »

John Roberts  {JR} wrote on Sun, 06 December 2009 16:07

Andrew Broughton wrote on Sun, 06 December 2009 01:25

Many consoles limit how much can be done. Digico limits how many types of processing can be done on each channel, as does DigiDesign. Yamaha limits it by only having a fixed number of functions. They make sure that it's not possible to run out of DSP. But what if I want more than 8 effects? What if I want to insert a dynamic eq on every channel?
All consoles have their limitations. I'd like to see something much more expandable. No limits.

While DSP is getting cheaper, it isn't memory cheap yet...

There is efficiency in spreading a resource across multiple channels that most likely won't all need a unique reverb on every input, etc. Of course in blocks of 8 you can share and have flexibility to configure all kinds of applications, from minimum configuration 8 ch system to 80, and get somewhat better utilization efficiency than 1 processor per channel.

Another benefit to extra processing power distributed across a system is the ability to shift resources around if there is a failure. (Note: This assumes pretty sophisticated software and we aren't even doing proper distributed systems yet AFAIK).

JR

For enough money we don't need to shift resources (which would maybe cost even more). So have a lot of processing power per (input and output) channel, blocks of 4 would be nice. Dynamic EQ, many bands of PEQ, HPF with different slopes, dynamics with sidechain (other channels etc.).
FX racks? Let's add it in blocks of 4 also. We can even have all the fancy FX companies build their modules. Did I mention "open standards"? Yes, this thing needs to be very open.
We need matrix processing also, we need it to be oversized because we must accept the maximum channel and FX count. I suppose this is not a big deal compared to unlimited channel processing.
Then add an UI-processor that accepts an open standard. Now we have a real problem, we like to accept an open UI standard for a processing unit with no (practical) limitations.
How complicated can this get? So at first a simpler UI for the beginners and a more in-depth, more multi-task UI for all of us who are very unhappy with the current UI limitations.

For me this would be a worthy next generation mixer.

Dan Richardson

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2009, 09:02:36 AM »

Tim McCulloch wrote on Sat, 05 December 2009 21:15

Today's pseudo-analog surface will eventually be seen as a transitional design to migrate legacy users to new things.

The first digital multitrack recorders used tape and you could edit them with a razorblade. Heh.

Today's live desks are obviously looking more and more like DAWs.
Unfortunately, DAW interface design has pretty much stopped advancing.
I don't see anybody making a radical break any time soon.
dut duruduttdurudutt dut dutt. I hate iphones.

rick earl

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2009, 10:59:35 AM »

Although innovations like this are promising.  Now for inflatable faders.

http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2009-07/your-next-touc hscreen-might-come-inflatable-buttons
Rick Earl
Technical Director
Cultural & Special Programs
Elon University

Klaus {nojunk} Zimmermann

• http://www.nojunk.de
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2009, 11:53:26 AM »

Grant Conklin

• http://www.G-ForceProAudio.com
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2009, 12:01:36 PM »

Klaus {nojunk} Zimmermann wrote on Tue, 08 December 2009 10:53

http://www.music-group.net/  Shocked

I'm speechless.

Dealer for Fulcrum-Acoustic, JTR, Yorkville, VTC, FBT, Xilica, Hosa, Gator Cases, and On Stage Stands.
www.G-ForceProAudio.com

A Man

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2009, 12:06:22 PM »

Justice C. Bigler

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2009, 03:23:19 PM »

Klaus {nojunk} Zimmermann wrote on Tue, 08 December 2009 10:53

http://www.music-group.net/  Shocked

So, this new innovative digital mixer is going to be a Behringer?
-Justice C. Bigler
House Sound Tech
Tulsa Performing Arts Center

IATSE Local 354

Dave Stevens

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2009, 02:00:07 AM »

Andrew Broughton wrote on Sat, 05 December 2009 16:10

LCS is a step in the right direction, but they are WAY too much dough.

I would disagree.  I don't think they are suitable for what most of you guys do.  For a stage mon console it is a very poor choice.  For FOH on something that is consistent and pre programmed it does some cool things.  However, there is a lack of basic functionality or things that are more complex than they need to be for some basic operations.  For example basic cut and paste, scene preview on the surface and linking stereo channels and no provision for insert points.  

Cue Station and Cue Console do some great things but it's not really a console.  It's an external controller for a show control system.  There are some things I like.  For example the ability to automate any control point or using externals like Python or OSC and also the ability to edit and control points directly in the software.  And of course Space Map and Wild Tracks.  However with that kind of flexibility there are inherent drawbacks that interfere with the sort of work flow that most portable sound types need or want.  Some of the features of Cus Station or the Cue Console are cool but on the whole most of the other surface manufacturers provide more functionality in a way that that is presented that I think is more useful to the average audio mixer.

Dave
======================================
Revenge of the Chick Car...
A Barking Dog Goes Road Racing in 2011
http://www.roaddog.com/racing/

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2009, 02:00:07 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.