ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: USB DMX lighting controll Wirelessly?  (Read 5805 times)

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
USB DMX lighting controll Wirelessly?
« on: November 22, 2009, 10:23:58 PM »

Well I do sound and lights for a band. My 01v I'm getting set up with a Tablet So for the wedding gigs i'm doing I can be out front. with a small footprint (They don't want "stuff" out front that will ruin the look for them. You know how it goes)

What i'm wondering is if I can also throw a USB DMX interface onto the wireless network and if anyone has done this with any form of software. So with my tablet before songs I can just switch to a different preset, or set up hotkeys with my tablet to do certain things also.

Just wondering about latency with that.

I'm not sure if my Silex interface will let me put a USB hub on it (I think it would) so both the sound board and DMX interface would show up.
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Thomas Bishop

Re: USB DMX lighting controll Wirelessly?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 10:26:47 PM »

You could go with a wireless DMX unit and any of the numerous software DMX setups out there.

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 11:08:04 PM »

Latency is rarely an issue for DMX - unless you are pumping hundreds of queues in a short time period.

Almost all DMX devices (I don't know one that does not) stay at the previous value for every single value, until they receive a different value.

Primarily a concern for multi-universe, rapidly changing shows.

The only concern would be lighting moves that are closely linked to follow on-stage action.
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Rob Timmerman

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 08:37:58 AM »

Tony "T" Tissot wrote on Sun, 22 November 2009 23:08

Latency is rarely an issue for DMX - unless you are pumping hundreds of queues in a short time period.

Almost all DMX devices (I don't know one that does not) stay at the previous value for every single value, until they receive a different value.

Primarily a concern for multi-universe, rapidly changing shows.

The only concern would be lighting moves that are closely linked to follow on-stage action.

Fixed latency isn't usually a problem unless you have very precisely timed cues, but variable latency is.  And if you're running the data over a network, I'd be worried about dropped packets, especially if you have any moving lights (dropped packets = jerky movement).

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 08:44:42 AM »

Nope, No movers yet. Just some LED's and a few Par Cans. So the biggest thing is a color fade or a blackout.

Good to hear. I guess I'll have to start researching USB interfaces now.... Razz

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 02:47:55 PM »

Rob Timmerman wrote on Mon, 23 November 2009 05:37

Fixed latency isn't usually a problem unless you have very precisely timed cues, but variable latency is.  And if you're running the data over a network, I'd be worried about dropped packets, especially if you have any moving lights (dropped packets = jerky movement).

Good points.
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

James Feenstra

• http://www.crewspace.com/James
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 04:22:52 PM »

you don't NEED wireless DMX...

this is probably a cheaper solution that will allow the same thing considering you've already got a WiFi network in place

whatever PC you're already running your lighting software off needs to host a VNC or Remote desktop server (approx. cost: $20-30)

then take your tablet and log into it over the network and hit cues wirelessly

mind you, if you don't have two pcs already set up for this it'll cost you the price of a cheap laptop that can run your lighting program and whatnot, which is still probably cheaper than a quality wireless dmx unit

the other advantages to this type of setup instead of wireless dmx is that you can log into the host computer with multiple tablets if necessary...or even from wireless devices like an iphone or blackberry

i frequently use this method to focus on my stage where i'm running a vista s3...log in, highlight fixtures, focus, move on...never need to touch the console and it always makes people look at me funny when they see i'm doing lights from my phone Smile
James Feenstra
Lighting, Audio and Special Effects Design

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 12:55:11 AM »

I don't have a PC solution yet. Still using just a basic Elation DMX programmer. which gets the job done, but its not pretty. I wasn't really looking at wireless DMX. More so the running a USB interface through a wireless access point.

I'd rather not deal with a VNC solution, as That adds one more layer of window to have up while having the sound also. And one more computer I have to set up and tear down every night.

I was planning on just using WindowsPager Like the multi-desktop options in Gnome and KDE and just swap between two. Makes life simple.

I'm experimenting with the option of just plugging the interface into a USB hub with my 01v then into the silex and then run both that way.

Ray Abbitt

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 03:20:41 PM »

Adam Whetham wrote on Tue, 24 November 2009 21:55

I was planning on just using WindowsPager Like the multi-desktop options in Gnome and KDE and just swap between two. Makes life simple.
You might want to try Dexpot http://www.dexpot.de/ instead. It's also free and has been in development for a lot longer. I've been using it for quite a while now and it works great.

-ray

James Feenstra

• http://www.crewspace.com/James
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 03:45:30 PM »

Adam Whetham wrote on Wed, 25 November 2009 00:55

I don't have a PC solution yet. Still using just a basic Elation DMX programmer. which gets the job done, but its not pretty. I wasn't really looking at wireless DMX. More so the running a USB interface through a wireless access point.

I'd rather not deal with a VNC solution, as That adds one more layer of window to have up while having the sound also. And one more computer I have to set up and tear down every night.

I'm experimenting with the option of just plugging the interface into a USB hub with my 01v then into the silex and then run both that way.

If that elation unit can accept midi program changes then you could also send scene changes directly from the o1v by switching scenes but putting all your channels into recall safe so it doesn't change your mix
James Feenstra
Lighting, Audio and Special Effects Design
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.