ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 6th order bandpass build  (Read 38616 times)

Adam Schaible

Re: 6th order bandpass build
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 08:33:04 PM »

So I hooked it up today... its similar SPL to the JBL SRX 728 (only other sub I tested against).  I had it stacked on a 728 - so very hard to say - also in a small room.

The one difference - it sounds a LOT better than the SRX 728.  Much tighter - when I played metal songs with lots of double bass, the 728 was much less tight.  I'll try to get some measurements in an open space over concrete.

SRX 728 below - for size comparison.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_TEuLL21pW58/SwdkHyX12hI/AAAAAAAAAgA/SNDAjVm6Sy8/s800/IMG_1933.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_TEuLL21pW58/SwdkIOiwbkI/AAAAAAAAAgE/Gwpbe9ZSSLA/s800/IMG_1934.jpg

Douglas R. Allen

• http://-
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 06:37:28 AM »

Adam Schaible wrote on Fri, 20 November 2009 20:33

So I hooked it up today... its similar SPL to the JBL SRX 728 (only other sub I tested against).  I had it stacked on a 728 - so very hard to say - also in a small room.

The one difference - it sounds a LOT better than the SRX 728.  Much tighter - when I played metal songs with lots of double bass, the 728 was much less tight.  I'll try to get some measurements in an open space over concrete.

SRX 728 below - for size comparison.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_TEuLL21pW58/SwdkHyX12hI/AAAAAAAAAgA/SNDAjVm6Sy8/s800/IMG_1933.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_TEuLL21pW58/SwdkIOiwbkI/AAAAAAAAAgE/Gwpbe9ZSSLA/s800/IMG_1934.jpg

Nice looking build!
As I'm sure you may know its not a good idea to test subs placed next to each other. Or have them at different heights or different locations.
Each box is tuned to a certain freq. and will produce that note when excited by another sub. Like blowing across a pop bottle. Measure one sub at a spot. Move it well away and test the next.

I have a spare set of 18's looking for a home. How big is the back door and is it 22.8 inches overall wide for the speaker or is that the inside measurement?

Thanks and keep the test results coming!

Douglas R. Allen
Allen Audio

"The worst thing is."
"You can't teach common sense."

Adam Schaible

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 10:13:36 AM »

Yup - I'm waiting to get some finishing on it before I do too much with it - it's just hard to build something and not at least fire it up!

As far as hight, the interior is 21 7/16 tall - but you could build the access panel to fit just about any 18" driver.  Right now, I have to tilt the driver to get it through - but I made mine a bit smaller than "them".

According to the plans, their access panel actually extends over the baffle plates by about 1/8" - 1/4".  I did this at first, but had to scrap that build and start over.  I think they have a CNC that layers their access panel so that although the back dimension is wider than the "allowed" amount, the inner dimension is probably 3-5cm smaller.

Either way, you could load any driver - but I made this door just big enough for the 18PZB100 - not sure how a different driver would work though.

Douglas R. Allen

• http://-
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 10:20:19 AM »

Because of the size of this project is there a reason this could not be cut in half? Put the driver access panel on the side?
The box could be handled by one person this way. I am guessing both drivers still only "see" half of the center volume?

Should you have a chance find out the weight of this box. Looks like a fun winter project.

Thanks!

Douglas R. Allen
Allen Audio

"The worst thing is."
"You can't teach common sense."

Adam Schaible

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 10:34:48 AM »

I'm not exactly a box designer - more like enough to be dangerous.

It's not so heavy - it's a bit heavier than the 728, but you can only tell if you pick up one, then the other.  Pickup a few things in between and I wouldn't notice.

That said, there are casters on the rear by the access panel.  Since the handles let you carry the sub with that direction facing down, you really only need to lift it for steps/etc.

I spent an hour or so listening to the sub with various music types.  I set the HP to 30hz L/R 24db/octave and the LP to 85hz 24 L/R.  It sounds very very musical.  I'll have to try and measure it.  It just sounds really really nice.

Josh Billings

• http://www.mindboxmedia.com/soundsystem
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 11:13:23 AM »

Marjan Milosevic(MarjanM) wrote on Wed, 18 November 2009 08:53

I am sure that he IS aware. Just not mentioning any names and models Smile

Nice build BTW.

Somebody fill me in Smile

Adam Schaible

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 11:46:54 AM »

Josh Billings wrote on Mon, 23 November 2009 10:13

Marjan Milosevic(MarjanM) wrote on Wed, 18 November 2009 08:53

I am sure that he IS aware. Just not mentioning any names and models Smile

Nice build BTW.

Somebody fill me in Smile

PM'd

Duncan McLennan

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 10:02:42 PM »

Adam, is there a (permanent) narrow diagonal brace inside the chambers?  Or was that just in there for construction's sake.
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario

Adam Schaible

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 10:29:42 PM »

Duncan McLennan wrote on Mon, 23 November 2009 21:02

Adam, is there a (permanent) narrow diagonal brace inside the chambers?  Or was that just in there for construction's sake.

Hi Duncan,

I removed them after the cabinet was sealed up.  Initially they were used (in conjunction with other techniques) to make sure the back panel was at a perfect 90 degree angle to the base.  After a few panels were set it probably served no purpose, but I figured I would let the top cure before removal just in the rare case something wanted to shift.

Nick Enright

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 03:51:25 PM »

mee too! Smile
Lyve Productions
Live Sound Support / Engineering
House Sound @
 -- Hastings Street Ballroom - Detroit, MI
 -- Theatre Bizarre - Detroit, MI
Owner / Engineer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.