ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Redundancy Auto Mixing ideas  (Read 6272 times)

Don Boone

Re: Redundancy Auto Mixing ideas
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 04:27:21 PM »

The CAT5 is the balanced part of the system when you are using a non networked connection/converter.

Don

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• http://www.comsystecusa.com
Re: Redundancy Auto Mixing ideas
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 11:18:26 PM »

As I remember from many years ago a "balun" was a device used in RF systems usually to match an input or output to coax. It was usually a transformer but could have been resistive also.

In this industry the device used to match or convert an unbalanced input or output to balanced and vice versa was always called by what it actually was- transformer, active converter, matching pad, etc.

It seems that now a "balun" is something that allows you to use CAT5 for something that it was not intended. It could be anything from a keystone wallplate insert with an RCA jack that connects directly to the cable to converters that extend HDMI distances. Unfortunately CAT5 has become the universal cable that gets used for everything from doorbells to video.

I can't wait for the day that the computer industry does away with UTP and adopts fiber. CAT5 will become a thing of the past and then what will people do? I hope use the proper cable or fiber.

-Hal  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.