ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heil Sound PR Series or Shure Beta Series?  (Read 31049 times)

Sean Chen

Re: Heil Sound PR Series or Shure Beta Series?
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2010, 12:24:12 am »

For baritone or bass vocalist who sings close to the mic, PR-35 roll-off switch should be moved to the left to counter proximity effect. That's how I like mine.

Middle position is a slight roll-off. Flat is the right position.

David Hoover

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2010, 10:31:26 pm »

Last weekend for service, I used a VX5 on lead, and PR-35's on backup.  Of course, everyone has a solo at some point.  My eyes have been opened!!!  I can't believe how much better it sounds than the beta58's we used to use.  I'm never going back to them.  Not even a beta 87.  All are WAY better.

Ok, the VX5 has a very flat response minus a little bump at probably 2kHz.  It is wicked clear and wicked crisp.  I kind of like that it doesn't color the sound at all.  So, I just boost the presense a little if need be to fit in the mix.  The mic is so clear that maybe 2 or 3 dB of presense is all it needs.  Very easy to EQ, very clear, and natural.  Plosives and esses are also filtered well.  Bass definately needs rolled off if your vocalists like the mic on their mouth like mine do.

On the PR-35, with that new filter they put in there now, it takes plosives and esses out, too.  Now, the PR-35 needs a little more bass roll off.  I think the bass has a little more definition to it as well on the PR-35.  It sounds more robust and gives the vocals a brilliant warm sound.  I say brilliant warm because there's no mud.  It's responsive and clear.  The PR-35 has a pretty nice presense rise from about 2K to 9K and dropps fast after that.  I boost from about 9.5 (peak/notch EQ here) and up probably 5dB, and what you get is a sound just as airy as the VX5 and probably just as crisp.  A little less response of course in the really high range like 14, 15, 16kHz, but not a big deal anyway.

So, I'm gonna have to use the VX5 vs. the PR-35 more to see which one I like more - more of the time!

By the way, I think feedback rejection is better on both the mics compared to the beta58.  Reason is that my feedback is gone now.  Bleed through on the VX5 is a bit noticable though.

David Hoover

« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2010, 11:23:39 pm »

David Hoover wrote on Tue, 02 March 2010 22:31

Last weekend for service, I used a VX5 on lead, and PR-35's on backup.  Of course, everyone has a solo at some point.  My eyes have been opened!!!  I can't believe how much better it sounds than the beta58's we used to use.  I'm never going back to them.  Not even a beta 87.  All are WAY better.

Ok, the VX5 has a very flat response minus a little bump at probably 2kHz.  It is wicked clear and wicked crisp.  I kind of like that it doesn't color the sound at all.  So, I just boost the presense a little if need be to fit in the mix.  The mic is so clear that maybe 2 or 3 dB of presense is all it needs.  Very easy to EQ, very clear, and natural.  Plosives and esses are also filtered well.  Bass definately needs rolled off if your vocalists like the mic on their mouth like mine do.

On the PR-35, with that new filter they put in there now, it takes plosives and esses out, too.  Now, the PR-35 needs a little more bass roll off.  I think the bass has a little more definition to it as well on the PR-35.  It sounds more robust and gives the vocals a brilliant warm sound.  I say brilliant warm because there's no mud.  It's responsive and clear.  The PR-35 has a pretty nice presense rise from about 2K to 9K and dropps fast after that.  I boost from about 9.5 (peak/notch EQ here) and up probably 5dB, and what you get is a sound just as airy as the VX5 and probably just as crisp.  A little less response of course in the really high range like 14, 15, 16kHz, but not a big deal anyway.

So, I'm gonna have to use the VX5 vs. the PR-35 more to see which one I like more - more of the time!

By the way, I think feedback rejection is better on both the mics compared to the beta58.  Reason is that my feedback is gone now.  Bleed through on the VX5 is a bit noticable though.

I still can't decide between the two.  They are both so close.  The only distinguishing thing I've noticed is this: in a dense mix, the PR-35 does a better job cutting through.  In a sparse mix, I think the VX5 sounds more natural.  On loud stages and even at an ourdoor concert I did, the VX5 condenser had no feedback.  I'm impressed.  I did find out that on both of them you need a foam filter if it's windy because...I experienced trying to mix in 30 mph winds last Saturday with my sound blowing everywhere, my speaker stands jiggling, and my speakers rumbling.  The filters took most of it out.

Denny Cannon

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2010, 12:02:59 am »

That's exactly what I found with the VX5. When things got going with the band's up tempo stuff in a loud setting, it fell short. But for the slow ballad stuff it was great and very natural.

I'm finding the OM7 handles all situations very well from slow ballads to all the high energy we can throw at it. Much better than the VX5 for what we're doing with excellent presence and cut through the mix. Great sounding mic and like the VX5, makes my voice sound like my voice... which, uh, isn't always a good thing. Razz I think the OM7 has better transient response. I'm liking it better than my Senns.

I'm also liking the PR22 more and more, and is the most articulate mic I've used. Talk about presence and cut through the mix.

David Hoover

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2010, 12:18:07 am »

[quote title=Denny Cannon wrote on Wed, 17 March 2010 00:02]That's exactly what I found with the VX5. When things got going with the band's up tempo stuff in a loud setting, it fell short. But for the slow ballad stuff it was great and very natural.
quote]

Agreed

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2010, 04:30:21 pm »

Denny Cannon wrote on Tue, 16 March 2010 21:02

I think the OM7 has better transient response.

I don't mean to be a dick, but do you know what is meant by "transient response?"

Quote:

I'm also liking the PR22 more and more, and is the most articulate mic I've used. Talk about presence and cut through the mix.

That's the opposite of my experience, but YMMV.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Denny Cannon

« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2010, 05:45:15 pm »

Andy Peters wrote on Wed, 17 March 2010 15:30

Denny Cannon wrote on Tue, 16 March 2010 21:02

I think the OM7 has better transient response.

I don't mean to be a dick, but do you know what is meant by "transient response?"

Quote:

That's the opposite of my experience, but YMMV.

-a

Well, let's see. I doubt I have near your experience in micology, but since my degree is in physics, yes, I believe I understand the term transient response referred to here as quickly changing or abrupt changes in sound waves (vocal input), and thus a mic's ability to respond. How'd I do? Since you're the one questioning my knowledge, I'll throw it back at you. What's your explanation of transient response? And what is it about my original post that prompted you to question me? Did I sound that ignorant?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.