ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mini Circuits ZBSC-8-82+ 8 way splitter  (Read 3334 times)

Stephen Mickeler

Mini Circuits ZBSC-8-82+ 8 way splitter
« on: November 09, 2009, 06:10:01 PM »

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about these?

Info here -  http://www.minicircuits.com/cgi-bin/modelsearch?model=ZBSC-8 -82%2B

I'm looking to deploy a pair of these instead of 2 Sennheiser ASP2 splitters as they seem to have a lower insertion loss than the ASP2 and 2 of these 8 way ZBSC-8-82+ units are less than the cost of 1 ASP2.

I realize the ASP2 also provides some cleaner power cable management, but my main concern is cost & performance.

Thanks.

Robb Blumenreder

• http://www.sennheiserusa.com
Re: Mini Circuits ZBSC-8-82+ 8 way splitter
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 10:23:42 PM »

Hi Stephen,

You may also want to consider that the ASP2 is designed to be used with an AB 2 booster - not only does this function as a filter (36 MHz booster/amplifier), but it also makes up for the loss associated with the Passive Antenna Splitter (AB2 Gain: +10 dB).

The Sennheiser ASP splitters, in addition to providing DC power outputs for four (4) receivers, also provide power for up to two (2) antenna boosters on each cable run.

Based on the information provided via the weblink below, and the loss associated with the Minicircuits unit, I wouldn't feel comfortable using this in a wireless rig.  

Proper antenna system design/deployment and high quality, low loss cable are some of the best ways to increase your RF reliability and performance; I cannot stress enough how important this is to your total audio system experience.  To draw on an analogy: if you invest a lot of money in a sports car, but put "budget friendly" tires on it - don't expect to get the performance you wanted from the car.  The antenna system is a small percentage of the overall cost of your audio system (just like tires are on a sports car), and it shouldn't become the Achilles heel of an otherwise nicely designed rig.

I'm hoping some other LAB members will chime in on this one; please keep us posted on your progress and decision.

Best Regards,
Robb Blumenreder
Sennheiser Electronic Corporation

Stephen Mickeler

Re: Mini Circuits ZBSC-8-82+ 8 way splitter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 09:39:22 AM »

We wound up using a pair of Mini Circuit ZB16PD-13-S+ 16 way splitters and a pair of 6dB gain LPDA antennas.

The transmitters and receivers are about 75 feet away from each other and the RF levels on the EM 100 receivers never dropped below 40, which is full strength.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 17 queries.