ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: LAB Midwest Gathering Photos  (Read 21218 times)

John Halliburton

Re: LAB Midwest Gathering Photos
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 08:32:29 PM »

Bennett doing his own monitor auditioning.

index.php/fa/26165/0/

drewgandy

• http://gandymethod.com
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 08:54:32 PM »

David "Luke" Landis wrote on Sun, 08 November 2009 19:22

I have a feeling I missed a cool day...... Sad

I never would have known that you weren't there.  Next time I'm bringing name tags.  

drew

Rick Powell

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 08:57:35 PM »

IIRC, no "Room EQ" was globally done to any of the stacks.  The processing basically amounted to whatever preset crossovers and system EQ's that the owners had programmed into the rax & stax; nothing was added at the board.  Some systems, like the SRX/VRX combo and the JTR rig, didn't have any rig processing except for the electronic crossover.  All the system listening tests were done listening to a John Hiatt track for about a minute; then a system discussion and Q&A and on to the next rig.  There were 9 full-size rigs and 3 mini-rigs (self powered) there, and a few variations of the 9 rigs were tested (for example, swapping out a QRX 153 with a QRX 212, both over a QRX 218).  

The monitor listening test was Trace Knight barking into 13 different monitors, one at a time, with a Sennheiser (IIRC) vocal mic.  Correction - I think #12 was removed before we could get to the monitor session b/c Dan Nickelski had to leave early and remove it from the running.  There WAS a 100 Hz hi pass applied at the board to all monitors.  They were all run in passive mode, which Trace said impaired the performance of his EAW 260's which he usually bi-amps.

[Edit: corrected EAW model #]
Rick Powell
StudioLive 16:4:2
JTR Triple 8 Mains
Danley TH115 Subwoofers
Bag End TA15 Floor Monitors
Crown xti6000/4000/2000

"There are two types of people...those who divide people into two types, and those who don't."

drewgandy

• http://gandymethod.com
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 09:00:36 PM »

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Sun, 08 November 2009 19:32

Nice setup! Was there a consistent room mode EQ curve that you guys applied equally to all the systems?

-Bink

I don't think so but I don't think it would have mattered much.  The room issues seemed to be dominated by slap back and rattles, not modes.  As expected, the line array in particular had some pretty heavy slap.  

drew

Rick Powell

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 09:10:12 PM »

This must have been an early pic of the Punkin Haid, before I added the stem.
Rick Powell
JTR Triple 8 Mains
Danley TH115 Subwoofers
Crown xti6000/4000/2000

"There are two types of people...those who divide people into two types, and those who don't."

John Halliburton

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 09:14:41 PM »

Well, there was this later shot, but I'm not sure Bennett wanted the paparazzi around...

index.php/fa/26167/0/

Philip Roberts

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 09:17:51 PM »

Rick Powell wrote on Sun, 08 November 2009 20:57

IIRC, no "Room EQ" was globally done to any of the stacks.  The processing basically amounted to whatever preset crossovers and system EQ's that the owners had programmed into the rax & stax; nothing was added at the board.  Some systems, like the SRX/VRX combo and the JTR rig, didn't have any rig processing except for the electronic crossover.  All the system listening tests were done listening to a John Hiatt track for about a minute; then a system discussion and Q&A and on to the next rig.  There were 9 full-size rigs and 3 mini-rigs (self powered) there, and a few variations of the 9 rigs were tested (for example, swapping out a QRX 153 with a QRX 212, both over a QRX 218).

Rick is correct, as I understand it the rigs were run with the Manufacturer settings on the recommended DSP.

Quote:

The monitor listening test was Trace Knight barking into 13 different monitors, one at a time, with a Sennheiser (IIRC) vocal mic.  Correction - I think #12 was removed before we could get to the monitor session b/c Dan Nickelski had to leave early and remove it from the running.  There WAS a 100 Hz hi pass applied at the board to all monitors.  They were all run in passive mode, which Trace said impaired the performance of his EAW 128's which he usually bi-amps.

I thought Trace had EAW 260's, it was a Sennheiser mic, 835 or 845 I think?

Great event, hope another one get's planned.
Philip Roberts
Director of Media Engineering
Pioneer Memorial Seventh Day Adventist Church
Berrien Springs MI

Tom Reid

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »

Its nice to have enough room to play with everyone's toys.

No distros were used.  Everyone had two wall outlets.
Single system SPLs ran 90 DBA slow from the Rat Shack meter on one of many MT mixertop lids app 30-40' from sources.

All systems had a nice slap behind them wich any band would love.

Our source was the same CD for each cabinet which I came home and promptly hid.  Evals of gear like this from music sources can tell you something about the system but I don't belive you get the full story of how the gear behaves until you use it live. The more efficient gear seems bright with a CD source.

tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Rick Powell

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 09:47:34 PM »

Of course, we had some "loud" system tests after the official listening tests.  The EV line array and the EAW 650/LAB Sub as well as the JTR, at about 110 db at the board.

However, I think my ears rang the most from that monitor listening session Smile   Shocked
Rick Powell
JTR Triple 8 Mains
Danley TH115 Subwoofers
Crown xti6000/4000/2000

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 10:04:37 PM »

Who is that and why am I near their crotch?
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.