ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on installed sound telephone(mic)intercom  (Read 2566 times)

Kim Guibord

• http://www.broadwayproductionslive.com
Question on installed sound telephone(mic)intercom
« on: December 16, 2009, 08:37:15 PM »

Hello to everyone:

I am a live audio guy, I use line arrays,point source rigs, digital boards etc.
My question is this, I work at a large machine shop during the day hours, This company uses telephone intercoms throughout the shop(basically the telephone becomes a microphone) they must have between 20 to 30 of these phones, recently a company came in to upgrade this system to digital(in my opinion they really screwed it up, some of these phones(mics) have hotter signals than others, so hence some funky 1k-2k feedback,it also sounds like they may even have gates on the phones(mics) because it takes a loud signal to get them to sound..I do not know for sure ,I am just guessing from my live experience, so I do not know if this installed sound is similar to live sound...any replys would be helpful...Thank you
Kim

Don Boone

Re: Question on installed sound telephone(mic)intercom
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 12:04:54 PM »

You pick up a phone (and I assume press the appropriate button) and speak. Sound like a live sound system to me. Razz  The vendor needs to come back and fix it.

Don

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• http://www.comsystecusa.com
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 01:02:05 PM »

We are partly a telecom company and I can say that we have installed hundreds if not thousands of phone systems that have paging as a feature. I've never seen the problem you describe. The problem lies in either of two areas. I would check the processing after the phone system- the phone system just provides a line level out. Normally that would just feed a an input channel of a PA amp but you are going to have to look and see how it's done here. Then the phone system could be a garbage VoIP that really has no way to support paging. I have seen some that use a paging server which is a separate PC just for paging. In that case all I can say is good luck.

-Hal

Jerry Turnbow

• http://www.soundsiteaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 12:51:51 PM »

I spent quite a few years with a systems contractor, and we did everything from PBX systems to Pro Audio systems.  

As mentioned previously, make sure EQ and levels are appropriate, but in some cases, due to the excessive amount of side-tone (the audio "feedback" that allows a person using a handset to hear themselves) you'll still have feedback.  In those cases, we used a noise-canceling transmitter or handset to solve the problem.  Roanwell is one of the manufacturers of these.  I'm sure there are others.

Try this link:

http://www.roanwell.com/handsets.html

- Jerry Turnbow (aka 'Mako')

Owner - Sound on Site Audio Services

Tim A Perry

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 11:25:37 PM »

Just speculating here... the old system handset had dynamic mics (or maybe even carbon elements )

The digital phones use electret condensers and have a higher sensitivity and improved frequency response.

Try cupping you hand around some of the problem phones while paging. Also see of you can tell of some paging speakers are set louder then others.

In some places like large supermarkets, a delay is placed between the phone system and the PA amplifier. The person makes the page or announcement then some time later it is heard over the speakers. This eliminates feedback and "hollow" sounding pages.

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life" ~ Berthold Auerbach
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 21 queries.