ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: One note Horn Subs  (Read 12010 times)

Marjan Milosevic

Re: One note Horn Subs
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 05:13:20 PM »

WOW factor needs this Smile

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t161/JNineBar/Notting%20Hill%20Carnival%202008/DSC00836.jpg

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 05:50:13 PM »

Silas Pradetto wrote on Mon, 11 January 2010 02:03

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney) wrote on Sun, 10 January 2010 19:25

Montez Carter wrote on Wed, 28 October 2009 02:22

I have eight DIY horn loaded subs they are loaded with the Eminence Kappalite 3015lf.  I always run them center clustered. I have not had any problems with the drivers my problem is that they do not sound linear at all frequencies. At first I assumed it was boundary cancellation but they do this outside too.  I tried to smooth some of it out with eq but the low notes drop way off in d.b.I like them as far as bang for the buck just wish they were constant throughout their passband. I have some Clamshell double eighteen cabs that I milled with the eighteen sound 18Lw1400 and I like the consistency of them.But just to get the numbers that I need is hard with the price of the drivers. And the power that I have to put to them is insane compared the the folded horns. Do you guys think Labs would remedy this problem. I do a lot of hip hop and rnb events and I am looking for that whoa factor. By the way my top boxes are Kf 850ef's. I have been lurking this forum for a while just waiting to pull the trigger even have lab drivers still in the box at the warehouse just have not had time to program tool paths. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

For a 2000-3000 person show your going to need 12-16 labs for that "woah factor". PL6.0's are a very good starting point - I use the PL380 on my labs (driving 2 cabinets a side) and i have plenty of breathing room running the rig hard.

A very important thing I don't see anyone else mentioning here. To get the maximum LF response out of LABS you need to group them together in large numbers. The magic number being 6.  So a build of 12 Lab subs (2 blocks of 6 on each side) would probably be your best bet.

If you decide to center cluster them.. which is a good way to go.. well you start putting 8 labs together you really need to arc them, or use some sort of delay (read horizontal bass  array)

I don't think you need that many at all. I've done a 2500 person show with NAS in a large gym with 8 LABs and it was 120dB C at FOH 75 feet back with 10dB left on the rig. I'd confidently say 8 LABs can do 5000 people.

Silas,
If you brought 8 LABs to a 5,000 cap show of mine, I'd either ask you to:

1. Bring in at least 4 more.
2. Call your local recone shop now.

I did a show last year with 4 LABs a side for 2,000 people. I was into limit with the kick drum, and the 808 was bottoming them out. The LAB subs are great and all, but they, like any other sub, have their limits.

Evan
Not all change is good change.

peter.golde

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »

Silas Pradetto wrote on Thu, 14 January 2010 16:32

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney) wrote on Wed, 13 January 2010 08:09

Silas.. I've been using 8 Labs (center cluster) in an indoor 1200 person venue for 5 + years now.. 1/2 of the nights are dirty south/freestyle/hiphop.. It is good for the room - but not overkill for these types of shows. (PL380 power).

9 times out of 10 when people say hip hop they mean Rap / Dirty South.. which is pretty much the crappiest music you could ever play on a P.A. system - and its usually played at "10".

I wonder then if your LABs are built right, processed right, or if some room mode is messing with the bass. I can assure you, 8 LABs for 1200 people for any type of music is completely and totally overkill.

I would agree with Jeff, for this type of music 8 is about right for 1200 people, any less and they will be over driven. It is overkill, but that is what the kids want, the feeling, and when it's clean like the Lab, it needs to be even louder. They are not happy until they are shell shocked and confused from excessive spl.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer" - Frank Zappa

Marjan Milosevic

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 07:20:36 AM »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Tue, 19 January 2010 23:50

Silas Pradetto wrote on Mon, 11 January 2010 02:03

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney) wrote on Sun, 10 January 2010 19:25

Montez Carter wrote on Wed, 28 October 2009 02:22

I have eight DIY horn loaded subs they are loaded with the Eminence Kappalite 3015lf.  I always run them center clustered. I have not had any problems with the drivers my problem is that they do not sound linear at all frequencies. At first I assumed it was boundary cancellation but they do this outside too.  I tried to smooth some of it out with eq but the low notes drop way off in d.b.I like them as far as bang for the buck just wish they were constant throughout their passband. I have some Clamshell double eighteen cabs that I milled with the eighteen sound 18Lw1400 and I like the consistency of them.But just to get the numbers that I need is hard with the price of the drivers. And the power that I have to put to them is insane compared the the folded horns. Do you guys think Labs would remedy this problem. I do a lot of hip hop and rnb events and I am looking for that whoa factor. By the way my top boxes are Kf 850ef's. I have been lurking this forum for a while just waiting to pull the trigger even have lab drivers still in the box at the warehouse just have not had time to program tool paths. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

For a 2000-3000 person show your going to need 12-16 labs for that "woah factor". PL6.0's are a very good starting point - I use the PL380 on my labs (driving 2 cabinets a side) and i have plenty of breathing room running the rig hard.

A very important thing I don't see anyone else mentioning here. To get the maximum LF response out of LABS you need to group them together in large numbers. The magic number being 6.  So a build of 12 Lab subs (2 blocks of 6 on each side) would probably be your best bet.

If you decide to center cluster them.. which is a good way to go.. well you start putting 8 labs together you really need to arc them, or use some sort of delay (read horizontal bass  array)

I don't think you need that many at all. I've done a 2500 person show with NAS in a large gym with 8 LABs and it was 120dB C at FOH 75 feet back with 10dB left on the rig. I'd confidently say 8 LABs can do 5000 people.

Silas,
If you brought 8 LABs to a 5,000 cap show of mine, I'd either ask you to:

1. Bring in at least 4 more.
2. Call your local recone shop now.

I did a show last year with 4 LABs a side for 2,000 people. I was into limit with the kick drum, and the 808 was bottoming them out. The LAB subs are great and all, but they, like any other sub, have their limits.

Evan

Evan,

can you make a short comparison between labs and your b2's?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.