ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Reloading horn-loaded subs...what to get?  (Read 43405 times)

Callan Carnahan

Reloading horn-loaded subs...what to get?
« on: October 27, 2009, 04:30:39 PM »

Hi guys,

Due to one driver going bad, I've decided to re-load my two off-brand horn loaded subs. They're each 1x18 and measure 2' wide x 3' tall by 3' deep exactly, and right now (well, one of them, anyway) take 1000 watts program.

I'm looking for something that'll hit down to around 40Hz that's meant to be in a horn loaded sub. That said, I've been looking at Peavey Low Riders, but I'm not sure that they'd be good for HL subs, so I'm looking for a driver in that price range (they're $190 new) that'll handle around what mine currently handle (1000 watts).

I'm a college kid with not a whole lot of money so nice high-end drivers are out of the question (unless someone wants to be really nice and sell me some for cheap  Very Happy ) and I have no interest in building LAB subs. I have a 600 square foot apartment and I'm sure my neighbors wouldn't like it too much.

Thanks guys,

- Callan
Callan Carnahan

Art Welter

Re: Reloading horn-loaded subs...what to get?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 04:36:45 PM »

I can't think of anything  better than the Low Rider in that price range.

But reconing your one bad speaker may be cheaper.

Callan Carnahan

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 04:51:28 PM »

Art Welter wrote on Tue, 27 October 2009 16:36

I can't think of anything  better than the Low Rider in that price range.

But reconing your one bad speaker may be cheaper.

I'm just concerned with over-excursion of the Low Rider in a horn sub. Aren't they meant to be in front loaded cabs? I'm worried that pushing the extra air may cause some distortion or that bad knocking sound that everyone dreads to hear  Rolling Eyes

And I've contacted the company (B-52) and their warranty is pathetic; it'd be $220 for me to buy one of their HL speakers new, and I'd like something more relieable, which is why I looked at the Low Riders. Thanks though, Art!
Callan Carnahan

Art Welter

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 05:11:21 PM »

The Peavey Low Rider 1808-8HPS, has a 9.6 MM Xmax, 28.9 FS.
It has a heavy stiff cone, it should survive OK in your B-52.
Horn loading generally reduces excursion.

If the B- 52 is using an Eminence 18, it would only have around 6 mm Xmax.

The B-52 should probably be HP around 40 HZ, below that the cone is pretty much just a direct radiator.

Rather than replacing, why don't you check with a recone shop on the price for a recone?

Nathan Lehouillier

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 04:38:06 PM »

Hi Callan,

I have used the Low Rider in My Keele W's before and they worked
until I got my EVX 180's back. The 180's sound tighter. The Low Rider is per Peavey spec not recommended for horns.

Nate
KDS&L
Trust Me I'm a "PRO" Wink

Callan Carnahan

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 06:22:25 PM »

Hi Nate,

I'd LOVE to get some EVX 180's! I have a friend who built two 2x18's with those in each hole on both subs. WOW. I borrowed them for a show about 4-5 months ago and the bands were blown away (literally) with how tight they sounded. I'd love to get my hands on some, but I'm just not that well off   Sad

Thanks for the input, though. I emailed GLS Audio about getting it reconed, but in addition to being ripped, the magnet fell off and cracked. Not fun and not fixable, so I've been told, so I'm just looking to get new ones. Saves me less hassle.

They recommended the Eminence Definimax 18" 4018LF which, as I understand, is made for horn loaded subs. Anyone with any experience with those or something similar? I was looking at the Eminence Kilomax's also. Any input?

I'm really wishing right now that I DID have Lab subs  Mad that'd make this all a lot easier! The help is appreciated, though.

Callan Carnahan

Marjan Milosevic

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 08:32:44 PM »

There are two main parameters that can tell you if the driver is suitable for horn loading or not. That is QTS and BL.
Lower the qts the better. Preferably lower than 0,30
Higher the BL the better. Preferably higher than 20.

Edited for spelling Smile

Callan Carnahan

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 11:02:32 PM »

Marjan Milosevic(MarjanM) wrote on Wed, 28 October 2009 20:32

There are two main parameters that can tell you if the driver is suitable for horn loading or not. That is QTS and BL.
Lower the qts the better. Preferably lower than 0,30
Higher the BL the better. Preferably higher than 20.

Edited for spelling Smile

Marian,

That helps a lot, thank you! The Eminence Definimax is rated: QTS = .35 ; BL = 27.0. http://www.eminence.com/pdf/definimax-18lf.pdf there's the link to it's PDF spec sheet.

Does that seem like it'd be decent for horn loaded? I like the fact that the basket is attached/comes with it. With the other ones I've looked at - specifically the low rider - the basket must be purchased separately.
Callan Carnahan

Marjan Milosevic

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 07:24:50 AM »

Yeah it would work in a horn.
I am not quite following you on that basket thing. Low rider comes as a full driver. They have field replaceable basket recone kits so you can fix them easier if you blow them.
Thats what is confusing you i am sure.

Callan Carnahan

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 08:56:12 AM »

Ohhh okay. Yeah, you're right, that was confusing me. Thanks for the clarification and the help! I think I'll go with the Definimax 18's, then.
Callan Carnahan

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.