ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX728 vs Labsubs  (Read 5762 times)

Moby (Mike Diack)

SRX728 vs Labsubs
« on: June 14, 2010, 10:00:23 PM »

Anyone done a one versus t'other shootout (or 2 vs 2 considering labsubs don't really like being alone) ?. Findings?.
M

Silas Pradetto

Re: SRX728 vs Labsubs
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 10:38:38 AM »

The SRX don't stand a chance.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 11:02:57 AM »

What are you interested in comparing?  Just sound/freq response-output?

Or is the comparisom to include all of the above vs weight-vs size (truck pack), vs cost and so forth.

If nothing else matters but 1 cabinet vs 1 cabinet, then that is one thing.  But often there are other issues that come into play in the real world.

What is fine for one person will not be for another-and what matters to one person doesn't matter to another.

There is no way to know what you are looking for-unless stated.

It is like looking for cars-what do you want? Performance-speed-cargo capacity-a family van-a pickup truck?

Different people need different things and comparing a family minivan to a sports car will result in both of them "winning"-depending on what result or test you run-or are interested in.

For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Moby (Mike Diack)

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 03:37:11 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Wed, 16 June 2010 03:02

Yes it was a poorly posed question - to use an appaling expression, my bad.
Lets forget about truck packability, weight, cost,aesthetics, rider acceptability and long term resale value.

I'm interested in, given identical amplifiers (probably a bridged PLX3402 per box), acoustic output, achievable bandwidth and "quality" (ie distortion, lumps etc).
M

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 04:37:15 PM »

Moby (Mike Diack) wrote on Tue, 15 June 2010 15:37

Lets forget about truck packability, weight, cost,aesthetics, rider acceptability and long term resale value.

I'm interested in, given identical amplifiers (probably a bridged PLX3402 per box), acoustic output, achievable bandwidth and "quality" (ie distortion, lumps etc).
M

Then I think Silas gave the correct answer

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/556402/57908/0// /6883/#msg_556402
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Art Welter

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 05:31:48 PM »

Moby (Mike Diack) wrote on Tue, 15 June 2010 13:37

M

Silas did  some comparisons of Lab subs to dual Eminence 4015LF and TH Mini:
http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/47220/0/

Phil Lewandowski and I did some comparisons of my dual Lab 12 front loaded cabs, a single 4015LF, a Growler, and the JBL SRX718:

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/56314/19717/

The SRX718 was a couple dB hotter than the 4015LF, using 900 watts compared to 700 watts.
The SRX728 would have 6 dB more level than the SRX718.
Silas 2x4015LF would have 6 dB more level than my single 4015LF.

Doing a little interpolation, it appears the Labs would have a bit more LF output (with less power input) below about 60 Hz and the SRX728 would be similar or have slightly more upper output (with more power input).

Given a bridged PLX3402 per box, the above should hold, as the Labs will probably show more power compression and loose the approximate 3 dB sensitivity advantage.

At any rate, the distortion testing we did makes it obvious that frequency response output curves tell only part of the story.

Art Welter

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 06:42:12 PM »

I think my tests were flawed or incomplete, because there is NO WAY a properly powered SRX728 is going to come close to a properly powered LAB sub. (Really you have to compare a pair to a pair though).

Next nice day when I have time I'm going to do some more LAB measurements, including impedance and distortion, and we can finally have a complete set of specs on a LAB sub.

Art Welter

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 12:35:07 PM »

Silas Pradetto wrote on Tue, 29 June 2010 16:42

I think my tests were flawed or incomplete, because there is NO WAY a properly powered SRX728 is going to come close to a properly powered LAB sub. (Really you have to compare a pair to a pair though).

Next nice day when I have time I'm going to do some more LAB measurements, including impedance and distortion, and we can finally have a complete set of specs on a LAB sub.

Your 7/14/09 tests between the Labs and two 2x15 4015LF seem OK to me, and they show the 2x15” response within 2-3 dB of the two Lab Subs above 50 Hz.

Phil Lewandowski and my tests of a single cone SRX 718 and a 4015LF  show the SRX having a couple dB advantage above 55 Hz.

So it still looks to me that a a properly powered SRX728 is going to come close to a properly powered LAB sub above around 55 Hz.
Below 55Hz, not so close Laughing .
But from a space to output ratio, properly ported Lab 12s have more output below 55 Hz than the horn load LAB Sub.

index.php/fa/31067/0/

Art Welter
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.