ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Surge/Spike protection  (Read 1312 times)

Buddy Brock

Surge/Spike protection
« on: April 28, 2005, 02:05:59 pm »

We've got a line running from our church sound board to another building that feeds a 70 volt distribution system with a mix of the service to nurseries, etc. We recently took a surge from what I believe to be the 70 volt line back into the mixer as the mixer was partially damaged in the output section and it was unplugged at the time and the 70 volt unit was damaged. My question is: assuming the audio line wiring is ok, is there a unit that has a spike protector to put in between the mixer and the xlr plug (or any connectors) that will give a little protection there. I know a direct lightening strike is a done deal, but anything will help. The only thing that makes me think the wiring is ok is that at that distance, there is little noise and we are located close to a local am station where those are usually easy to detect. If not, I guess I can always unplug and replug. Any ideas? Oh, the board is a little Peavey 16 ch RQ series. Is there a better way to do this? Thanks.

Tom Young

Re: Surge/Spike protection
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 03:07:42 pm »

I don't have an answer but I do recomend you go to: www.surgex.com   and read up on their white papers and other technical info.  This is the leading surge protection and AC power device company serving pro audio.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Stuart O'Toole

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 04:17:40 pm »

Hi

Weird thing is the 70v coming back to the desk, i would presume a electrical issue.

Cheers
Stuie

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 05:07:26 pm »

That's a bit unusual. The PV mixer has a 2 wire line cord so the path for the surge to ground may have been through some other gear, perhaps a power amp. If not too much trouble unplugging the lightning rod when not in use might be a good idea in the meanwhile.

The computer industry seems to have lightning/surge suppression pretty well managed with their telephone modems so the technology is out there to roll your own. You just need to cob the right parts together.

JR

Buddy Brock

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 08:44:29 am »

Thanks folks. I'll do some research.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 08:44:29 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 18 queries.