ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX-728 or EV QRX-218? Which best for my music style?  (Read 45885 times)

Dave Rickard

Re: JBL SRX-728 or EV QRX-218? Which best for my music style?-ONCE AGAIN!!!
« Reply #150 on: October 10, 2009, 01:25:20 PM »

jack smith wrote on Sat, 10 October 2009 09:14

I find simple things hard to understand due to lack on concentration.

1.  If that's true, maybe professional audio just isn't a good choice for you?  Audio really is managing a million simple things simultaneously.  Under pressure.  And deadlines.

2.  Don't fall prey to the paralysis of analysis.  Do something.
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Dick Rees

Re: JBL SRX-728 or EV QRX-218? Which best for my music style?-ONCE AGAIN!!!
« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2009, 01:29:33 PM »

Dave Rickard wrote on Sat, 10 October 2009 12:25

Don't fall prey to the paralysis of analysis.  Do something.

Well said.
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Justin Stern

Re: JBL SRX-728 or EV QRX-218? Which best for my music style?
« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2009, 04:52:07 PM »

I will speak from my experience.

If you are running continuous music playback and you are running heavy bass music which is pretty much standard with today's hip hop and dance DO NOT and I mean DO NOT power them at the program rating which would be around 3000rms if I am not mistaken for the JBL.

Power them around 1600 (JBL) and you will be golden.  I have setup a few different dual 18's in a few different venues and they blew, not becasue the DJ is an idiot, becasue the woofers were over driven.  I switched out the amp to match the continuous rating of the subs and everything was better.  I could not tell the difference in sound either. (SPL)

If this is for live situations,then that is a completely different story.

Bigger does not mean better!

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2009, 06:02:30 PM »

But then he won't be able to the "the most" out of the system Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Sorry-couldn't resist.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Randy Pence

Re: JBL SRX-728 or EV QRX-218? Try real music ot develope brain cells
« Reply #154 on: October 10, 2009, 06:15:26 PM »

being diagnosed with adhd in the 80s, when the time came to listen to mindless repetitive beats or grunge or green day type stuff with my peers, i chose repetition.  Orchestras performing john cage and steve reich seem to as well.  Have you never had the pleasure of listening to a drum circle?Smile

jack, adhd is a copout and can actually help you with sound stuff if you harness its energy instead of scattering it everywhere.

Scott Smith

« Reply #155 on: October 10, 2009, 11:23:54 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Sat, 10 October 2009 12:00

...If you admit that you cannot/will not understand-then asking the same questions over and over again and again will not get you anywhere.  You STILL will not get it...

Of course, if people are going to keep "answering" the same questions over and over..... Shocked
"Percussive Maintenance" - Bang on it until it works!
Scott Smith, South Florida - MIXING OLD SCHOOL WITH NEW

jack smith

« Reply #156 on: October 11, 2009, 06:20:35 AM »

Justin Stern wrote on Sat, 10 October 2009 15:52

I will speak from my experience.

If you are running continuous music playback and you are running heavy bass music which is pretty much standard with today's hip hop and dance DO NOT and I mean DO NOT power them at the program rating which would be around 3000rms if I am not mistaken for the JBL.

Power them around 1600 (JBL) and you will be golden.  I have setup a few different dual 18's in a few different venues and they blew, not becasue the DJ is an idiot, becasue the woofers were over driven.  I switched out the amp to match the continuous rating of the subs and everything was better.  I could not tell the difference in sound either. (SPL)

If this is for live situations,then that is a completely different story.

Ok, will do then. Thanks. As for me having a severe lack of concentration, most of the work I
do is hooking systems up and sometimes adjusting the eq, if need be, that is. I get on good with eq'ing because even though I have trouble concentrating, i've found out that if I try and keep focused and dont let my mind wander i'm ok. I know what my ears like, and if it sounds ok to my ears then thats good enough for me. And i've not had a single complaint from anyone who's system i've set up. But hell, i'm not anywhere near a good engineer.

jack smith

« Reply #157 on: October 11, 2009, 06:26:11 AM »

Randy Pence wrote on Sat, 10 October 2009 17:15

being diagnosed with adhd in the 80s, when the time came to listen to mindless repetitive beats or grunge or green day type stuff with my peers, i chose repetition.  Orchestras performing john cage and steve reich seem to as well.  Have you never had the pleasure of listening to a drum circle?Smile

jack, adhd is a copout and can actually help you with sound stuff if you harness its energy instead of scattering it everywhere.

Thanks andy. I lose concentration mainly when i've been doiong something for more than 60 seconds, so to combat it, I try and refresh myself when I start to feel my mind wander. I suppose its kind of like taking a time out. But a short time out, just to refocus again.

Scott Smith

« Reply #158 on: October 11, 2009, 09:26:37 AM »

jack smith wrote on Sun, 11 October 2009 06:26

...I lose concentration mainly when i've been doiong something for more than 60 seconds..

http://www.alexionescu.ro/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/adhd_cartoon1.jpg
"Percussive Maintenance" - Bang on it until it works!
Scott Smith, South Florida - MIXING OLD SCHOOL WITH NEW

jack smith

« Reply #159 on: October 12, 2009, 06:21:01 AM »

Scott Smith wrote on Sun, 11 October 2009 08:26

jack smith wrote on Sun, 11 October 2009 06:26

...I lose concentration mainly when i've been doiong something for more than 60 seconds..

http://www.alexionescu.ro/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/adhd_cartoon1.jpg

I'm glad you can find my adhd funny, because I dont find it funny.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.