ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting micing problem  (Read 8779 times)

Ivan Beaver

Re: Interesting micing problem
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 03:15:21 PM »

The ceiling is a long way up-but we can also mount around the pulpit-it does not have to be a single position.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Tom Cooper

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 03:20:25 PM »

Can you put a decorative wall (ala room divider) made of sound-absorbing panels just behind the pulpit?  Cover it in purple cloth with gold decorations.  You could sell it as also helping the parishioners to see the preacher better because s/he will be visually contrasted with the background, and will give the pulpit a greater air of authority.   Smile

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2009, 03:26:05 PM »

Tom Cooper wrote on Sat, 03 October 2009 15:20

Can you put a decorative wall (ala room divider) made of sound-absorbing panels just behind the pulpit?  Cover it in purple cloth with gold decorations.  You could sell it as also helping the parishioners to see the preacher better because s/he will be visually contrasted with the background, and will give the pulpit a greater air of authority.   Smile

NOT A CHANCE
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Terry Duoos

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 07:47:11 AM »

Hi Ivan
During our Scandi Midsummer Fest we have a coronation.
usually 4-6 young girls of scandi heritage..
Anyway They each had a speach of what their national heritage means to them... the best gets the crown.

During rehersal, their poor mic technique ( they'r scared) was addressed like this
" If you cant hear your voice bouncing off the walls..then the only one hearing you is the devil and surely NOT the judges!"

just a thought

td

Jordan Wolf

• http://www.facebook.com/howlingwolf487
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 06:16:45 PM »

Terry Duoos wrote on Tue, 20 October 2009 07:47

During rehersal, their poor mic technique ( they'r scared) was addressed like this
" If you cant hear your voice bouncing off the walls..then the only one hearing you is the devil and surely NOT the judges!"

That's one way to address the problem  Shocked

When I have to mic up anything where feedback is going to be a large concern (choirs, large ensembles, talking head gigs, etc.) and I have the appropriate working relationship with the person/group, I let them or the director know straight up that if they don't give me anything to use, they won't get microphones.  

Other times, verbal encouragement is needed rather than a figurative elbow jab.

And, of course, there are always those times when you just have to grin and bear it, but this method of tough love has led to beneficial improvements in my experiences.

Back to Ivan's predicament - did you figure out a solution yet?  Inquiring minds want to know... Smile
Wolf
<><

"A lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
- Me

"With that much comb filtering you could probably part your hair just by walking through the room." - Dick Rees

Brad Weber

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 08:14:20 AM »

A little late but I agree with Mac, directional mics and an automixer.  You could use one like Mac noted in front of a channel per mic or possibly even use standalone unit feeding just one channel of the house mixer, preset the two or three mics required in the automixer and mix the automixer output as a single 'pulpit' channel.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Steve Kennedy-Williams

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 06:42:24 PM »

Probably not the solution for your setup, but...

Sonar.

Don't know if there's a commercially available solution, but when the Grateful Dead went to pressure pads for the guitarist's vocal mics, they needed a solution for the keyboard player.

They rigged a polaroid sonar rangefinder that opened the gate when a face got within x distance of the mic.

Steve

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 07:43:16 PM »

Jordan Wolf wrote on Tue, 20 October 2009 18:16

Back to Ivan's predicament - did you figure out a solution yet?  Inquiring minds want to know... Smile

Nothing yet. The project is on hold due to lack of funds.

I was in the room last week replacing the old analog processing that was failing- with a DSP (that they can use with the new loudspeaker system-when they get the money for that upgrade).

Basically they are going to "live with it" for awhile.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Jens Bacher

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2009, 12:24:21 PM »

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 06:43:12 PM »

The problem with that approach is that the person would be standing in the same place-just facing one of 3 different directions.  

So the sensors would always "see" the body and be turned on.

The same problem exists with pressure mats for turning the mics on.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.