ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Allen and Heath or Soundcraft  (Read 3788 times)

Dave Pallett

Allen and Heath or Soundcraft
« on: September 27, 2009, 02:35:14 PM »

I'm about to buy a 32 channel mixer, primarily for live use with my rock-gospel choir, and occasionally to mix down in my home studio.

I've had my eye on the Allen and Heath ZED436 for some time.  It has all the features I need such as the pre-fader direct outs for live multitracking.  I like the USB interface which will help when it comes to the studio work.  I can pick one up for

Randy Frierson

Re: Allen and Heath or Soundcraft
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 02:46:17 PM »

get the one that has the features you need, in that range i don't think there is a better performer, just features that are needed...Randy

Jeff Wheeler

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 03:10:53 PM »

Keep in mind that the LX7ii direct outs are post-EQ or post-fader, depending on the switch position you select.  If you want pre-EQ, you can't get it from the D/O jacks on the LX7ii.

You can multi-track from the insert jacks of any mixer if you really want to.  It will cost you a bit to buy or make the cables, but it might be a better solution for a budget-minded group.
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ

Kristian Johnsen

• http://www.partyfabrikken.no
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 04:12:15 PM »

Randy Frierson wrote on Sun, 27 September 2009 20:46

get the one that has the features you need, in that range i don't think there is a better performer, just features that are needed...Randy

+1

Leo Melkote

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 03:09:05 PM »

Dave Pallett wrote on Sun, 27 September 2009 13:35

I prefer the layout of the soundcraft, as all the cabling can be hidden away at the back, but it lacks the USB interface and matrix functions, only has direct outs on 24 channels (although I only have 24ch of multitrack anyway).

Anyone got any advice for me?

If the only thing about the Soundcraft layout you like is that the cabling can be hidden away, depending on how important that actually is for you, I'd get the A&H. Think about which feature set is going to be more important to you in the long run (in the event you make additions etc to your equipment or multitrack channels).

As Randy said, at that price point, there will be little/no difference in performance between the two.

Moby (Mike Diack)

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 03:28:43 AM »

If serviceability is an issue for you, the A&H is a clear winner.
It has individual channel boards unlike the LX, which has everything on a couple of monster boards - disaster after the smallest spillage.
M

Tom Reid

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 12:57:15 PM »

Jeff Wheeler wrote on Sun, 27 September 2009 14:10

Keep in mind that the LX7ii direct outs are post-EQ or post-fader, depending on the switch position you select.  If you want pre-EQ, you can't get it from the D/O jacks on the LX7ii.

You can multi-track from the insert jacks of any mixer if you really want to.  It will cost you a bit to buy or make the cables, but it might be a better solution for a budget-minded group.

Yeah but the EQ can be switched off per channel making the direct out Pre fader with no EQ.  In live situations not so helpful, but in studio it would allow for direct dumps of channel to track.

I agree with Mike, the service issue is the main motivator.  Although I used an LX7ii for 4 years with only a cleaning needed I can see a benefit to replacing a channel card rather than a whole monster PCB.

tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Dave Pallett

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 02:13:24 AM »

Thanks for the replies folk,

I've now placed an order for the ZED436.  The digital i/o on usb and the matrix functions made it a better choice I think!

Jeff Wheeler

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 02:50:52 AM »

Tom Reid wrote on Wed, 30 September 2009 11:57

I agree with Mike, the service issue is the main motivator.  Although I used an LX7ii for 4 years with only a cleaning needed I can see a benefit to replacing a channel card rather than a whole monster PCB.

Indeed, sir.  I have two friends with busted channels on their Yamaha MG-series mixers.  Neither one is particularly motivated to fix them because it's too hard to do vs living with a couple of dead channels.  The local repair shop advised me about this design choice when I purchased a new console, but I couldn't stomach the cost difference from LX7ii to GB4/GB8 just yet.  Maybe next year.
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 19 queries.