ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC hpr 181i vs EV sba760 vs Danley TH-115  (Read 42205 times)

Rafael Tijerina

QSC hpr 181i vs EV sba760 vs Danley TH-115
« on: September 17, 2009, 04:53:24 PM »

Hello,
I am new to this forum but have been reading a lot here before I decided to register. Seems there is a lot of people here that know sound! I don't know much about sound, just know that it is super important. To me, anyway.

I am a dj and have been looking for good sound equipt.
I bought a QSC hpr 181i and an EV sba760 which I should get delivered today. I have been trying to make up my mind on these two subs. I started googling for information on these 2 subs and ran into information on the Danley TH-115. The reviews I have read state that the Danley TH-115 is in another league totally and out classes the QSC and EV and many others too.
I was trying to stick with powered speakers to make my sound equipt a little more portable and easy to haul around. But, if this Danley TH-115 is portable enough and crushes the competition, I definitely want 1 mayybbee 2.

I don't know much about sound, just that it is super important to me. I am pretty much a 1 man gig, but depending on how portable and powerful this Danley TH-115 is, I might change my mind alltogether on the QSC and EV subs. I will be trying out my QSC and EV subs this weekend. I got in contact with my local Danley speaker rep and he contacted me back. Looks like I might be able to demo out a TH-115, hopefully.

I was reading also that the Crown Macro Tech amps might work for this TH-115. Do you guys think it would be better to have a separate amp, or get it self powered with the amp you can get from Danley to go with it?!

Is the hype about these TH-115s true? Is it too much for Dj gigs?
I really want some powerful lows, the kind that makes people say...DAM. Kick ass bass!
Maybe I'm in over my head?! and the QSC hpr 181i or the EV sba760 will be just fine for me.

Suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated?!

Bob Kenton

Re: QSC hpr 181i vs EV sba760 vs Danley TH-115
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 08:07:40 PM »

Im kinda wondering why you bought two completely different subs?

Rafael Tijerina

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 09:22:39 PM »

I bought 2 different kind of subs so I can A/B test them.
I already tried a JBL PRX 718 and a Mackie SWA1801z. And by the way so far the JBL PRX 718 has sounded the better of those 2. The Mackie SWA1801z just kept hitting the limiter and did not produce the rumble that the JBL PRX 718 did.

I just got tired of trying 1 by 1 and then returning them. There is no place close to where I live that has many different kind of subs to a/b test. So, I bought 2 different types of subs to try out this last time, and I have 30-45 days to test and return if not satisfied. But, as I was googling, this forum came up talking about the Danleys TH-115.

I just tried both subs the QSC hpr 181i and the EV SBA760. And, right off the bat, I think the 15" EV sba760 sounds way better than the QSC hpr 181i. I dont understand why, since its the smaller of the 2 subs. But, to my ears the EV sba760 sounds more powerful and vibrates the hell out of the walls vs the QSC. Now, this is in a storage bedroom I have, not in a live gig setting, so might be a different story there, and I'm not putting the volume up as much as I would at my gig. I play at a local spot in Kansas City, where there is 3 different rooms of music. I have 1 of those rooms, and I am trying to have a real good low freq come out of my subs. People love bass!

Anyway, Please help with suggestion/advice.
Thanks.

Duncan McLennan

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 09:59:54 PM »

There was a thread just a couple weeks ago about a comparison between an 18" HPR sub and a TH-115.  The search function is your friend!
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 10:04:26 PM »

Rafael Tijerina wrote on Thu, 17 September 2009 18:22

Now, this is in a storage bedroom I have, not in a live gig setting, so might be a different story there, and I'm not putting the volume up as much as I would at my gig.

It is impossible to judge the relative performance of subs in a small space at low volume.

Do you have any big room or even outside space available?
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Michael Hedden Jr.

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 10:11:14 PM »

Rafael Tijerina wrote on Thu, 17 September 2009 21:53

Hello,

I really want some powerful lows, the kind that makes people say...DAM. Kick ass bass!
Maybe I'm in over my head?! and the QSC hpr 181i or the EV sba760 will be just fine for me.

Rafael,
As someone has already suggested, search the forum and you'll find Reggie Kendrick's thread.  Get in touch with Reggie Kendrick as having just done an evaluation on the exact same QSC sub he should be able to answer your questions.

Thanks,

Mike Hedden
Danley Sound Labs, Inc.

Rafael Tijerina

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 10:25:42 PM »

Thanks guys for all the info.

I think I'm already sold on the EV sba760, out of the QSC and EV subs. But I have to check my emails to see if the Danley Rep in the midwest can let me check out the TH-115. So many choices, but I just want a good low freq sub.

I just noticed that EV also has the Electro-Voice Plasma P2 18" Powered Subwoofer for just a little over $3000.
If I was to get a TH-115 and an amp, probably looking at about the same $3000 from the EV plasma sub. I wonder how portable that plasma is from EV. I know for sure I will not be able to A/B test that plasma, i think.

I know I need a big open space to test these out in, I will probably have to wait until Saturday for my gig. I will have to take both of those subs, but only way to really tell. I guess I could use my living room too, even though its way smaller than the room I will be in. I'm going to try and email Regie too. Maybe he has some more info as well as you guys.

Tim Padrick

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 11:37:14 PM »

Duncan McLennan wrote on Thu, 17 September 2009 20:59

The search function is your friend!

Perhaps at one time, but no more IME.  Most of the time, I can't even find my own posts, let alone something I'm not sure of a search term on.  Or I get dozens of posts unrelated to what I'm looking for.  (Then there's the revamped Study Hall.  Grrrrr....)

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 12:19:25 AM »

Tim Padrick wrote on Fri, 18 September 2009 23:37

Duncan McLennan wrote on Thu, 17 September 2009 20:59

The search function is your friend!

Perhaps at one time, but no more IME.  Most of the time, I can't even find my own posts, let alone something I'm not sure of a search term on.  Or I get dozens of posts unrelated to what I'm looking for.  (Then there's the revamped Study Hall.  Grrrrr....)

The same thing happens to me.  I have yet to get it to even come close.  I thought it was just me Laughing

Anyway-here is the link

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/465278/48523/0// /6883/#msg_465278
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Reggie Kendrick

• http://www.channelliveproductions.com
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 07:17:07 AM »

Rafael Tijerina wrote on Thu, 17 September 2009 16:53

...I don't know much about sound, just that it is super important to me. I am pretty much a 1 man gig, but depending on how portable and powerful this Danley TH-115 is, I might change my mind alltogether on the QSC and EV subs. I will be trying out my QSC and EV subs this weekend. I got in contact with my local Danley speaker rep and he contacted me back. Looks like I might be able to demo out a TH-115, hopefully.

I was reading also that the Crown Macro Tech amps might work for this TH-115. Do you guys think it would be better to have a separate amp, or get it self powered with the amp you can get from Danley to go with it?!

Well, at least you're honest.  I too care about sound and you're at the right place to get the best suggestions.

As far as the HPR 181i vs. EV SBa760, I chose the HPR because of the price but knew the EV hit really hard for a 15" powered box.  It actually had more kick/thump/impact than the HPR in my past test but I didn't feel it hit as low and was not deep as the HPR in my opinion... anyway, good choice.

You're gonna find that a properly powered and HP/LP (high pass/low passed) Danley will squat on the SBa760.  You'll need some sort of crossover or in my case, a DriveRack PA+, to make sure you only feed the correct signal range to it (I chose 26.5Hz BW/24db - 90Hz BW/24db).  That Macrotech amp (I'm assuming a 3600) choice is good if you're gonna be doing venues that have 30 amp circuits available.  I decided against amps with 30 amp requirements because I didn't want to deal with tripping breakers, distros, meticulous limiting and such.  If you're speaking of the newer Macrotech I-series stuff, they're an even better choice with only 20 amp requirements.  I purchased a QSC PL 325 which has 15 amp circuit requirements and puts out about 2400 watts bridged-mono at 4 ohms (more than enough for 1 Danley TH-115).  When I get my 2nd Danley, I'll get a 2nd QSC to power it (hooked to another circuit breaker of course).  

You can also consider the Danley Th-212.  It is slim and at least 20 lbs lighter than the TH-115 since portability is important to you.  I have heard that it's just as loud (<--- no debate intended).

As far as the Plasma P2, it's probably a great sounding box.  It's max SPL is 3 more db than the SBa760 PLUS it has a bigger driver and it's EV (it's probably gonna sound great).  My only concern is that it has no handles... only 4 casters.  As a 1-man show, you'll sometimes need help hoisting/carrying your sub in/onto something.  To carry a static 140 lbs with 2 people (up/down stairs for example) is much easier with handles.  Overall, a minor concern considering such a potentially great box.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.