ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VTC rig in Buffalo NY  (Read 3823 times)

Adam Robinson

VTC rig in Buffalo NY
« on: September 16, 2009, 05:00:15 PM »

Town Ballroom in Buffalo NY recently installed a VTC rig and I had a show there last night and really enjoyed the rig.  They have 6 tops per side (flown), with 4 2x18 Yorkville Subs (unknown model) on the floor per side.  Everything is powered by Yorkville AP amps and processed with the VTC DSP.  

The system was powerful, punchy, and had a smooth high end that stayed smooth as you pushed the rig harder.  I mixed my show at about 100dbA in the 1000 cap room and was happy with the system and my mix the whole night.  The rig's tuning was great in the high end - I only made one very minor cut in that area.  The low-mids were a bit wily, but after some EQing smoothed out quite nicely.

The system's subs were just there... they were quite powerful, but rather messy.  Definitely not the highlight of this rig, but they also weren't the VTC companion subs.  I got an acceptable sound out of them.  This rig would really shine more with better subs.

After three shows on Nexo rigs, I can't say I'd take the VTC over them, but I was quite impressed nonetheless and am now considering spec'ing the rig for an upcoming install at a similarly sized club.  

Jason Phair

Re: VTC rig in Buffalo NY
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 10:27:19 PM »

Did Sebastian install this or did he finally pull his rig out and stay out?
Jason Phair

Adam Robinson

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »

I don't know who he is, but the house crew said that the Vertec rig went back to the sound company that services the room and that they were trying this rig out in there and that it ended up sounding better than the Vertec rig.  Their Vertec needed help - last time I was there I believe it was running v2 presets on a DR 480.  I'm a big fan of v4 Vertec, but nonetheless, was quite impressed with the VTC boxes.  They fit the room well.

Karl Maciag

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 05:10:40 PM »

I was on this rig this past Friday.  Seb did install the VTC rig in the ballroom,  he is still supplying gear for that room.  I was anxious to hear this rig,  as i was not at all happy with the vertec in that room,  but was also afraid that the VTC would not be an improvement.  I didnt use the house console (yammy m3000),  i brought a soundcraft series 2.  I was very pleased with the sounds quality of the VTC speakers.  coverage was very consistent in the room,  and there was plenty of headroom.  The high end was smooth, and required little eq adjustment on the graph.  I guess Dave, one of the house techs did Smaart the rig a bit.  I didnt look at the processors, so i don't know if you can adjust them, or if they are plug and play the the TX series processors. Levels were closer to 105dbA,  and was not harsh or piercing.  I'd have to agree with Adam of course, and would prefer a nexo rig over the VTC, but all in all i think is a quality rig, that greatly improved the sound in this club, and i would love to mix on it again.

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 05:29:29 PM »

Pulling the vertec rig out of that room was a SMART move. When I was in there in April, the rig was a total mess. It had just been "retuned" and was terrible to mix on. The L/R sounded like it was out of phase, top end was brutal and coverage was terrible. Up top it was thin and harsh, down in the pit it was thick and muddy. There was no happy medium.

Glad to hear the VTC rig is better... If the subs are still the same as before, they're Yorkville LS1004's. They were loud and boomy for me.

Evan
Not all change is good change.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.