ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which cable? (need help predicting the future)  (Read 1517 times)

alex thompson

Which cable? (need help predicting the future)
« on: September 16, 2009, 11:36:40 AM »

I'm doing a church install and this is the situation:

"We want to run cable for the possibility in the future sometime of connecting a camera and possibly video projector or large flat screen monitors but have no immediate plans to do so."

My questions are:
1. Would it be better to run a VGA/HD15 to the projector location or would I be better off, with more flexibility in the future of pulling 5 coax with BNC on either end, which could be used to run composite, component or RGBHV?
I think it would be cheaper for me to run 5 coax+BNCs than a HD15 Cable.

2. For the remote controlled camera that may be added sometime in the future, what kind of cable would you put in that would give you the most options in the future.  I was thinking run 2 or 3 coax, which should cover CV, S-video, Component or HD/SD-SDI.  Also I'm going to run a cat5/6 or two just in case.

Thanks for any advice.

---
Alex Thompson
Central Ohio Sound
http://www.centralohiosound.com

Don Boone

Re: Which cable? (need help predicting the future)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 01:11:34 PM »

With the ever increasing types of Cat5 to anything transmitters and receivers systems being introduced I'd just run 4-6 Cat5 cables.

Don

John Birchman, CTS

• http://www.jrbtechnical.com/
Re: Which cable? (need help predicting the future)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 01:22:56 PM »

How far into the future? A few months, a year, several years?

If there is no immediate need (1 year or more) I would just run several CAT-6 cables between points, especially if less than 100m (325 feet) between points.  This would allow you to use any number of UTP or IP based converters to transmit receive video.  Also, many remote cameras are now going the IP route over RS-485, so this would be covered as well.  If distance is more than 100m, would need to put in place access to add Ethernet Switches to the chain every 100m, or consider pulling fiber (or leave in place conduit with pull line left in it).

Many AV products are now leaning towards IP based control and distribution, as it is the currently the most future friendly protocol.

John
John Birchman, CTS
Freelance AV and Stage Technician
JRB Technical
Lake Buena Vista, FL
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 18 queries.