ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LAB15 basshorn design?  (Read 12792 times)

Ben Lawrence

• http://vtaudiovisual.com/
Re: LAB15 basshorn design?
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 01:48:05 PM »

Hey,
I didn't say anything about the design either way just sharing that it exists.

Mike {AB} Butler

• http://www.3alchemy.com
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 12:31:26 PM »

Hey, I was intrigued.. it's always fun to see Bill F.'s evolutionary products.
I was completely interested, thinking, "hmm, this looks like a better graph than any previous sub..".. and then I read the bad news.. Twisted Evil Even the 15" "tall" version was too far up in the size category!
I'm glad for those who can handle larger boxes.. I'm afaid I just ain't one of them.. Confused
Regards,
Mike Butler,
Principal, Technology and Operations,
Dascott Technologies, LLC

John Chiara

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 11:07:33 PM »

Chris Davis wrote on Sun, 02 May 2010 18:07

John Chiara wrote on Sat, 13 February 2010 00:30

Caleb Dick wrote on Fri, 12 February 2010 20:06

A driver is chosen based on the horn more than coming up with a horn to fit a specific driver.  Unless I've been reading Tom D's posts wrong.

Caleb

I'm just surprised that there is a Lab 15 driver with no cabinet for it.

Hmm...  I'm gonna wager a wild guess that two of these drivers might actually be suitable as replacement parts for the irreplaceable components in the servo module of the Servodrive BT-7 ??

This is purely hypothetical for me as I don't have any horsies in this race.

Any takers?

I asked Ivan about this and he thinks that there is insufficient room in the chamber of the BT7 for a normal cone w/magnet assembly.
"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

Chris Davis

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 03:58:01 PM »

John Chiara wrote on Fri, 14 May 2010 23:07

Chris Davis wrote on Sun, 02 May 2010 18:07

John Chiara wrote on Sat, 13 February 2010 00:30

Caleb Dick wrote on Fri, 12 February 2010 20:06

A driver is chosen based on the horn more than coming up with a horn to fit a specific driver.  Unless I've been reading Tom D's posts wrong.

Caleb

I'm just surprised that there is a Lab 15 driver with no cabinet for it.

Hmm...  I'm gonna wager a wild guess that two of these drivers might actually be suitable as replacement parts for the irreplaceable components in the servo module of the Servodrive BT-7 ??

This is purely hypothetical for me as I don't have any horsies in this race.

Any takers?

I asked Ivan about this and he thinks that there is insufficient room in the chamber of the BT7 for a normal cone w/magnet assembly.

Okay, fair enough.  I do remember the servo modules having a "close" fit when we went to replace the gaskets.  A few of us sold off all our servo boxes several years ago, so this is mostly just me reliving the past and thinking "what if". Smile

One other idea - and this isn't my own idea, but someone else's I came across on here.  Possibly Art Welter's:  What about inverting the LAB-15 drivers so that their magnet assemblies point into the servo module, and the backwaves drive the horn.  

One possible caveat though.  IIRC, with a ported speaker, a loss of internal cabinet volume like this would require one to add a port or increase the depth of an existing port into the cabinet to maintain an equivalent acoustic cabinet volume.  So some sort of compensation like that may or may not be necessary with this horn if one were to mount inverted drivers.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 05:37:14 PM »

Chris Davis wrote on Sat, 15 May 2010 15:58

One other idea - and this isn't my own idea, but someone else's I came across on here.  Possibly Art Welter's:  What about inverting the LAB-15 drivers so that their magnet assemblies point into the servo module, and the backwaves drive the horn.  

It has been a long time since I have looked at the "innards" of a Servodrive product, but if I remember correctly there would be even less room turning the drivers around backwards.

There may be room for a shallow depth 12", but you would have to find one that had the proper parameters for that horn and then make a new baffle to hold it.

Just throwing any 'ol driver into a horn does not mean it will work.  Yes it will make sound, but will it be the "proper" sound in terms of freq response-sensitivity etc.

Horns are generally very picky about what drivers go in them.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Chris Davis

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 01:24:37 AM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Sat, 15 May 2010 17:37

Chris Davis wrote on Sat, 15 May 2010 15:58

It has been a long time since I have looked at the "innards" of a Servodrive product, but if I remember correctly there would be even less room turning the drivers around backwards.

There may be room for a shallow depth 12", but you would have to find one that had the proper parameters for that horn and then make a new baffle to hold it.

Just throwing any 'ol driver into a horn does not mean it will work.  Yes it will make sound, but will it be the "proper" sound in terms of freq response-sensitivity etc.

Horns are generally very picky about what drivers go in them.

It would definitely get close if they were inverted, that is for sure.  But then a "donut baffle" on the outside of each side might work out too for either the 12" or 15" woofers.  Agreed on the differences on intended design and end result from the modification.  Possibly unorthodox here, but I would be lead to think that the differences might be significant by today's standards, yet acceptable by Servodrive days standards.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.