ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC K12 or EV sxa360's ???? Please Help  (Read 25877 times)

Joshua John

QSC K12 or EV sxa360's ???? Please Help
« on: September 06, 2009, 10:33:38 PM »

Hello everyone. Fist post here so bare with me.

I know this may have been discussed here before but I could'nt find the information that I was looking for.. so here it goes.

I had the Mackie SMR 350v2's and they were just not enough. I blew the tweeter in one and was alway pushing it. So I need to upgrade.
I am deciding between the two speakers that I think would best suit my needs.
the K12 from QSC and the sxa360's from EV. I think that they are both fantastic speakers from what I hear.
But this is a HUGE decision for me and I need to get the best I can.

I use the speakers for missionary work in third world countries. I do a musical presentation for 1000+ people in plaza's and street corner and parks. So I  need to be very loud. There is much all around noise and often other street perfomers that compete.
I will use these two speakers alone with a mixer and an ipod/ guitars/ vocals/ keyboard.

I really appreciate the time to read this and respond.

Thank you all very much.

Joshua

ps. you don't have to be pro to anwser here just any advise would be great!

pss.. I forgot to mention that we play various types of music but mostly Electronic and some Hip-hop (but nothing mega basey)

Jordan Wolf

• http://www.facebook.com/howlingwolf487
Re: QSC K12 or EV sxa360's ???? Please Help
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 10:46:05 PM »

Joshua John wrote on Sun, 06 September 2009 22:33

I think that they are both fantastic speakers from what I hear.

Does this mean that you have NOT actually heard the speakers for yourself?  I would highly recommend you audition them for yourself before buying them.
Wolf
<><

"A lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
- Me

"With that much comb filtering you could probably part your hair just by walking through the room." - Dick Rees

Joshua John

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 11:04:04 PM »

Hey, Thanks for getting back so quick.

I have heard only the K12's. I think they are outstanding. And I agree, I will hear both side by side later this week.
The thing is I don't know too much about sound. And what to really look for.... also about construction and overall quality, you know?

I meant 'hear' from all the people I have called and reviews that I have read... but I want to make a very educated decision and know that I am getting the very best for the money.

Thank you.

Grant Conklin

• http://www.G-ForceProAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 10:42:59 PM »

I can't say much about the EV's, but I've been very impressed with the K12, and personally measured one at 124db (1 meter) and the compression light wasn't even coming on yet.  Someone may say "yeah, but it's rated for 131db peak, so big deal."  In the real world 124db for a speaker of this caliber is pretty good.  Who knows, it may actually live up to it's claims - I didn't push it that hard.  

I'm looking at K10's for myself in the near future.  

Thanks,
Grant
Dealer for Fulcrum-Acoustic, JTR, Yorkville, VTC, FBT, Xilica, Hosa, Gator Cases, and On Stage Stands.
www.G-ForceProAudio.com

Reggie Kendrick

• http://www.channelliveproductions.com
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 12:54:51 PM »

I've listened and compared both.  In my opinion, the EVs sound a lot better overall.  They have much more clarity than the QSC K12s... and the HPR 122i's for that matter (I own the HPRs).  

Appearance-wise, the EVs look dated, archaic and they lack some of the functionality/features you'll find on the back of the K12 (low-cut filter, normal/enhanced bass, etc).  The EVs have external monitor feet that you have keep up with if you want to use them as a wedge which is ridiculous.

The EVs are lighter at only 36 lbs.  THe K12s are in the 40-45 lbs. range.

I'm not sure about the bass response and which will go lower (most likely the K12s).  This may be important to you since you're running them solo with no subs.  

I'd choose the K12s based on the way you're planning to use them.  You might want to wait a minute because I've heard rumblings that EV is coming out with a line of speakers to compete with the highly successful K-series stuff, that's why they dropped the SXa line prices by over $500 overnight...

Bob Henley

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 09:03:32 PM »

Reggie Kendrick wrote on Wed, 09 September 2009 11:54

I've listened and compared both.  In my opinion, the EVs sound a lot better overall.  They have much more clarity than the QSC K12s... and the HPR 122i's for that matter (I own the HPRs).  

Appearance-wise, the EVs look dated, archaic and they lack some of the functionality/features you'll find on the back of the K12 (low-cut filter, normal/enhanced bass, etc).  The EVs have external monitor feet that you have keep up with if you want to use them as a wedge which is ridiculous.

The EVs are lighter at only 36 lbs.  THe K12s are in the 40-45 lbs. range.

I'm not sure about the bass response and which will go lower (most likely the K12s).  This may be important to you since you're running them solo with no subs.  

I'd choose the K12s based on the way you're planning to use them.  You might want to wait a minute because I've heard rumblings that EV is coming out with a line of speakers to compete with the highly successful K-series stuff, that's why they dropped the SXa line prices by over $500 overnight...

I think that a ZxA3 and a maybe a ZxA1 would go over well!

Joshua John

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 03:05:43 PM »

Hey thanks all for the helpful responces. I really appreciate them. Seems like I am on the right track (headed towards the K12's). I will hear them both soon and will report back here with what I find.

I just wanted to clearify one thing wih Reggie;
I don't understand if the 360's 'sound a lot better' then why would I go with the K 12's? I want the best possible sound that I can get. I imagine that you are implying that because the bass is (could be) better then that would be worth sacrifice of the better sound, right?

I would appreciate clearifying this and anyone else who wants to chime in.
Alsolll Does anyone have any idea when these new speakers from EV will be out (or if)?? I am leaving in Mid November so I would have to have them long before then.

Thanks all agian very much.

Joshua

Caleb Dick

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 02:30:25 AM »

Bob  Healey wrote on Wed, 09 September 2009 18:03

I think that a ZxA3 and a maybe a ZxA1 would go over well!

+1!
Caleb
Caleb Dick
AVE
-----------------
Why waste time with second best

Experience is something you get just after you need it

Reggie Kendrick

• http://www.channelliveproductions.com
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 07:32:36 PM »

Joshua John wrote on Thu, 10 September 2009 15:05

Hey thanks all for the helpful responces. I really appreciate them. Seems like I am on the right track (headed towards the K12's). I will hear them both soon and will report back here with what I find.

I just wanted to clearify one thing wih Reggie;
I don't understand if the 360's 'sound a lot better' then why would I go with the K 12's? I want the best possible sound that I can get. I imagine that you are implying that because the bass is (could be) better then that would be worth sacrifice of the better sound, right?

I would appreciate clearifying this and anyone else who wants to chime in.
Alsolll Does anyone have any idea when these new speakers from EV will be out (or if)?? I am leaving in Mid November so I would have to have them long before then.

Thanks all agian very much.

Joshua

Because the K12s do not have a bad sound and as a stand alone, their bass is more full and better than that of the EVs; as good as you could expect from a 12" powered speaker.  The negatives I listed about the EVs is why I wouldn't choose them over the K12s.  

If I didn't care about their dated looks and always ran a sub, I'd choose the EVs hands down.  They're super clear and have more detail as far as the sound.

Paul E Fenelon

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 02:39:14 AM »

The SXa was the EV powered plastic speaker we all wanted about 10yrs ago. EV released many versions of powered SX300's over the years. The SX100a, The SX100a+ but they were underpowered and they all looked the same.

When I first heard the 17kg SXa I was amazed with the sound quality. The price was a little too high for most people and the speaker really did not take off. Too many earlier versions that were not that great and the same old box.

Not heard the QSC stuff but if it sounds good it could be the replacement of my 9yr old RCF300a's that are still going strong.

EV do make some great products. The Xw15 wedge powered with a P3000 and P1200 via a DX38 for example. Heavy, you bet.

Good Luck
Paul
ADR Audio - KV2

East Coast Touring Services
Australia, since 1992

www.adraudio.com.au

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 12:32:56 PM »

Paul E Fenelon wrote on Sat, 03 October 2009 02:39

The SXa was the EV powered plastic speaker we all wanted about 10yrs ago. EV released many versions of powered SX300's over the years. The SX100a, The SX100a+ but they were underpowered and they all looked the same.

When I first heard the 17kg SXa I was amazed with the sound quality. The price was a little too high for most people and the speaker really did not take off. Too many earlier versions that were not that great and the same old box.

Not heard the QSC stuff but if it sounds good it could be the replacement of my 9yr old RCF300a's that are still going strong.

EV do make some great products. The Xw15 wedge powered with a P3000 and P1200 via a DX38 for example. Heavy, you bet.

Good Luck
Paul

I'm in the same boat. I have some RCF ART300A's and 200A's that I'm looking to replace with K10s and K12s.
the RCFs have done really well for me but it just seems like time to move before something starts to give.

Jason

Bob Goodwin

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 09:35:04 AM »

I currently have K8's for an acoustic act (Still in it's infancy)  
I think the K8's sound really good especially behind me where I can hear them myself without monitors. (I actually think I sound good) From my limited exposure to hearing them out front, I think they fall a little short as far as getting the sound deeper into the audience. I am looking to go with a larger speaker for better "throw". (btw I already read a bunch about the word "throw". I'm sure most of you know what I mean)

I had looked into the SxA360's before purchasing the K8's. I got a good deal so I jumped on them (after comparing to the ZxA1) I have heard the SX100's as well as the SxA100's and figured the 360's must be a good speaker. (No, I haven't heard them) I always heard that 12's are great for vocals (so I don't know why I went for 8's) but I was pretty impressed with the K8's.

I don't need BIG power and expect that a full range speaker will do nicely without subs (and realize that many of you are Pro Sound and wouldn't consider running a PA without subs)

For my application I have heard better things about the K10's than the K12's. here is also FBT, RCF, and Yorkville's contenders in this speaker size, weight, and power.

Looking for any and all opinions.

(btw I have a very good price quote on the 360's) I am not worrried about the "dated" look. I want clear, natural, pristine vocals in a lightweight cab that would sound as good outdoors at a beach as they would in a small coffee shop at low volume.

Bob Goodwin

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 07:42:30 AM »

Joshua John wrote on Sun, 06 September 2009 23:04

Hey, Thanks for getting back so quick.

I have heard only the K12's. I think they are outstanding. And I agree, I will hear both side by side later this week.
The thing is I don't know too much about sound. And what to really look for.... also about construction and overall quality, you know?

I meant 'hear' from all the people I have called and reviews that I have read... but I want to make a very educated decision and know that I am getting the very best for the money.

Thank you.

Did you ever end up hearing these 2 speakers side by side?

What did you end up getting?

Joshua John

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 01:04:48 PM »

Hey, yeah,
I bought the EV's. Used them for several months. Pushed them to their max. They were great speakers but in the end the were right for me. Not loud enough. Run too hot causes the cone to over heart and shift (in lamens terms).
I recently switched them to the K12's. I think I will be much happier. I think that the EV's are out of date compared to today's technology. They are great speakers but should sell for about half of what they cost today.

take care

Joshua

Bob Goodwin

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 04:19:01 PM »

Joshua John wrote on Wed, 07 July 2010 13:04

Hey, yeah,
I bought the EV's. Used them for several months. Pushed them to their max. They were great speakers but in the end the were right for me. Not loud enough. Run too hot causes the cone to over heart and shift (in lamens terms).
I recently switched them to the K12's. I think I will be much happier. I think that the EV's are out of date compared to today's technology. They are great speakers but should sell for about half of what they cost today.

take care

Joshua

Great speakers usually don't run too hot and causing the cone to shift. This is probably the first negative I ever heard about these speakers.
So the K12's are loud enough and they throw well with the conical horn design?

Chan Xiang Ju

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 01:09:19 AM »

Try to AB the K12 with the Mackie SRM 450s. I personally felt the SRM 450 tonality better.

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 11:08:53 AM »

Chan Xiang Ju wrote on Sun, 18 July 2010 01:09

Try to AB the K12 with the Mackie SRM 450s. I personally felt the SRM 450 tonality better.

You like harsh, painful highs? Sweet.

Caleb Dick

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 12:37:55 PM »

Silas Pradetto wrote on Tue, 27 July 2010 08:08

Chan Xiang Ju wrote on Sun, 18 July 2010 01:09

You like harsh, painful highs? Sweet.

After using SRM 450, K12, and KW122 - the Mackie is outclassed.  The Mackie has a bit more smile EQ sound, which some people like.  Crank them up, then the difference becomes more obvious.  

A big -1 to SRM speakers.

Caleb
Caleb Dick
AVE
-----------------
Why waste time with second best

Experience is something you get just after you need it
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.