ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: d&b vs Vdosc  (Read 69964 times)

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

d&b vs Vdosc
« on: September 03, 2009, 12:44:58 AM »

looking for some input

Vdosc Vs J8

if you have experience please chime in

12 per side hang / 24 subs (b2 d&b)

dvdosc vs q1 for infills

Thomas Hester

Re: d&b vs Vdosc
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 03:30:10 AM »

just did a show with 12 Js and 9 jsubs a side, 14 b2s on the ground, and a bunch of qs for fills. nothing but good things to say from all the BEs, in fact, almost all of them said "i always have a good show with this stuff" i know this does not compare the two, but as far as im concerned the Js are much more musical and the rigging is very simple

Michael Strickland

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 03:52:55 AM »

Sheesh, this is like deciding between a Ferarri and a Lamborghini! Pick whichever one you can get a better deal on, and that you can cross rent with within a few hundred miles. Amp rack compatibility with your other systems might be a factor as well.

Though, for a big boy from L Acoustics, I'd wait for them to officially put the K1 on the market. I'm not even sure they sell the original V Dosc to new clients anymore. K1 is smaller, lighter, louder, better...
"Can you turn the monitors down please, IT HURTS!" - M.I.A.

Charlotte Evans

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 06:22:32 AM »

Gosh that's a bit of a toughie, both systems leave me with a big grin but I suppose if push comes to shove...the J Series wins on low end punch.
Still haven't heard the K1 though....
Take me across the water
‘Cause I need some place to hide

Nick Boulton

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 06:56:05 AM »

Make sure you remember that the V-Dosc system is nearly 20 years old (although there have been numerous improvements made in that time).

But in the little experience I've had of both systems, the rigging on the J series is nicer and faster, the sound is nicer, and I believe the box itself is a little louder.

With the V-Dosc, you don't have to use the L'acoustics branded amplification and processing (the last time I used them they were powered by Lab Gruppens with Dolby Lake processors) whereas you have to use the D12 amplifiers with the J series. You can also pick up V-Dosc second hand which I haven't seen happen with J Series yet.

Q series also has nicer rigging than the dV-Dosc, it's mostly integral, so no need to carry around so many easy to lose pins.

n.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 07:59:35 AM »

Has anybody here used J-INFRAs yet?

I used them last week with J-SUBs and 40 J8s and wow... I don't think anybody has come close with their sub-bass performance.

My vote is for J series, it rigs easier and sounds better.

Also the great thing with any d&b system is the consistency between various rigs, unlike many other manufacturers. You know what to expect because there are few variables.

Also, the Q series is extremely powerful for it's size, it's also very versatile.

Doug Fowler

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 10:55:58 AM »

Hey Jeff -

I like the HF sound in V-DOSC a little better, but I like the J mids more.  All d&b sounds very neutral, with little sound of its own if that makes sense.  

J rigging wins, hands down.

I expect you would get roughly the same performance with a 12 box hang of either.  This is a hard decision, but as someone else said, V-DOSC is long enough in the tooth make the decision easier.

It's still a ground-breaking PA, one of the great innovations in sound reinforcement technology and still sounds great by any standard.

Good luck.

"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 10:56:38 AM »

Well, from a practical standpoint, J8's are basically half the weight as v-dosc, so you can fly twice as many from the same point. J8's are also about 6dB louder then v-dosc, only require to be biamped and sound just as good, if not better.

It's actually kinda funny too, because Q1's keep up with the v-dosc, and they're only 48lbs! V-dosc has a slight advantage below 80hz or so, but it doesn't matter if you're using subs!

The Q1's also win over dv-dosc. Again, they're smaller, way louder, and you can run 4 boxes with 1 amp. Plus the Q's sound a lot better!

d&b is quite impressive all around, and I would never turn down a show on d&b gear. L'Acoustic was good back in the day(and is still good today), but there are some much better products out there now!

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Randy Frierson

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 11:36:11 AM »

Jeff, need more info to give you a solid opinion..
but i love the D&B gear and I as well love the V-Dosc but to give you a which is better depends on your applicationa, in other words why are you interested in these 2?

D&B has very limited dealership and though all the dealers i know are great when you spend that kind of money for a rig that size i would want to be a dealer...so that goes to LAcoustics

rigging   J's
size and weight   J's
cost    VDosc

as far as sound  i'm like doug there is nothing more pristine than V-dosc for the High;s and i honestly thought the low mids were to much in the J's, so for me VDosc, and like another one has posted the futire system may be the K1 and it seems to be worth the wait....

I'm a Meyer guy so i like to say listen to MICA, as i think it's a sleeper i the tour box world, but it gets plenty loud and does everything i have thrown at it and the support i get from meyer is simply the BEST  my 2cents
also I like MICA more than MILO as I think MICA is smoother and gets almost as loud and so much lighter and i can't say enough about the gallileo mgmt system...hope i have helped

Randy

sondre bry glevoll

• http://www.baerumlyd.no
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 01:06:09 PM »

Great stuff both. Love the J's personally. As Randy said, it depends on application among other. A coupple of you have commented on the J's being louder than the V-Dosc. That will depend on the amplification on the V-Dosc. Been doing some shows each year where both systems were available at venue at the same time. The V-Dosc on Powersoft K10 amps walked all over the J's in terms of loudness. Would recomend any V-Dosc owner to try these amps instead of the regular L'Acoustic/Lab stuff, it's the difference of another world by many aspects..  

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 01:06:09 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.