ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: LOOKING TO UPGRADE  (Read 14465 times)

Tom Corley

Re: LOOKING TO UPGRADE-Which brings up another point
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 04:12:23 PM »

I hook up both speakon's to the red terminal's. The Crown 4000i has an internal bridged mono setting.

Tom Corley

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 04:22:16 PM »

I use speakon's connected to the red + terminal's on the amp. In the back of the amp the connections are piggybacked on the red+ terminals. Lastly the Crown 4000I has a bridged mono setting I have that intialized as my setting.

Tim McCulloch

Re: LOOKING TO UPGRADE
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »

Hi Tom-

I'll re-ask the question "how do you send signals to the XTI and Eons?"  Specifically I'm looking for a crossover or DSP.

The use of another mixer "for headroom" strikes me as odd.  I suspect you don't have Enough Rig for the Gig
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Scott Hibbard

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2009, 09:19:37 PM »

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum.  I hope I am reading your post correctly here.  You have the XTi4000 internally set for bridged-mono but then you mentioned "I hook up both speakon's to the red terminals". Does this imply you have a 2 banana-to-speakon connectors piggy-backed across the red-terminals?  If so, that's ok but make sure channel 2 level on the amp is down/off/not in use.

But if you have the amp set to bridged mono and using the Speakon connectors (not the binding posts), you should only be using the channel 1 speakon and should only have amp channel 1 gain up.  Channel 2 speakon should not have anything connected, and channel 2 level on the amp should not be used.

As other's have mentioned, your sub's nominal impedance is 4 ohms.  I would suggest taking the amp out of bridged mode, put it in parallel mono mode or stereo) and connect one speaker to each Speakon.  That amp is ~ 1,200w/4 ohms stereo which is slightly over the PRG rating of 1,000watts.

If you've tried all the above and still not happy, can you share what (if any) external crossover or DSP is used?  Do you have any HPF engaged?

Again welcome.
ScottH

Tom Corley

Re: LOOKING TO UPGRADE
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 09:45:30 PM »

I do events from sweet sixteens to retirement parties. My program material runs the gammit from Def Lep to Rap and Frank Sinatra. I am currently not using an external crossover. By head room I mean I get more volume/control by adding the Mackie board. I can can better tailor the sound. I can remove the mid/highs from the channel dedicated to the subs and trim the mids/highs so the don't sound too colored.

Tom Corley

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2009, 09:52:32 PM »

Yes there is a banana connection at the amp end of my speakon's and that is where I have them piggy backed. I am not using an external crossover at this time. I go from mixer to the Mackie 802-VLZ3 the to my Crown then to my subs.

Ivan Beaver

Re: LOOKING TO UPGRADE-There's the problem!
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2009, 11:13:36 PM »

Tom Corley wrote on Tue, 01 September 2009 21:45

I do events from sweet sixteens to retirement parties. My program material runs the gammit from Def Lep to Rap and Frank Sinatra. I am currently not using an external crossover. By head room I mean I get more volume/control by adding the Mackie board. I can can better tailor the sound. I can remove the mid/highs from the channel dedicated to the subs and trim the mids/highs so the don't sound too colored.

Then the FIRST thing you need to buy is a proper crossover.

That will do more for your sound than anything else people would suggest-at your price point.

Spend some more money paying somebody to properly setup your sound system.

If you buy a DSP, you can get even more improvement-IF setup properly.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Tom Corley

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2009, 11:19:30 PM »

I thank you all for your insight. I will be the DJ with the cerebral sound system. I will look into a DSP as well as a crossover. Are there any brands that you can recommend? Thanks again in advance DJ TOM

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2009, 11:48:32 PM »

Tom-

The good news is you have HALF the crossover functions you need inside the XTI.  The bad news is you still need the other half.

Buy a crossover, send the low output (set around 100Hz to start) to the XTI (ignoring it's internal processing) and the high output(s) to the Eons.  A decent basic analog crossover (dbx) is $150 or so.  You can also purchase a "loudspeaker DSP" like dbx DriveRack (PA, 260, 280, etc), BBE, Peavey, Ashly, Xilica, BSS, Klark Teknik, EV/Dynacord and several others.  All are vastly more complicated & more expensive (but more effective) than simple analog crossovers.

If you re-purpose the Eons, you can get another XTI and use the internal processing in conjunction with your existing XTI to form a crossover, and the new XTI can power your new top boxes. Smile

It's possible that simply getting a proper crossover in your rig (with some help, perhaps, to guide you in setup) will fix much of what you have problems with right now.  How satisfied you remain is harder to predict.  Loudspeakers have improved significantly in the last 10 years. Wink

Tim "Gear Acquisition Syndrome Counselor" Mc

ps.  We have a couple of general guides to gear that are often repeated.  "The wrong piece of gear at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."  It works nicely with "Buy once, cry once."

pss.  This is your lucky day.  What you need is in the limo.. er Marketplace. http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/48767/143/  This is EXACTLY the configuration for your setup.  Stereo in, summed LF output for your mono sub, the HF outputs to drive your Eons left & right.

psssssssssss.  That crossover has been sold, but you can find them at any dbx dealer (try local!) or new & used on FleaBay.
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Tom Corley

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2009, 03:36:02 PM »

I will look into a proper crossover. Thank you for your insight. Perhaps I can, in some small way, change the perception of DJ's on the Pro Forum. I am looking to be a more than competent sound man. With input like this I am on my way to a more comprehensive sound system. I will repost with the outcome. Again thanks to all who had the patience to respond. DJ TOM.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.