ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: LOOKING TO UPGRADE  (Read 14532 times)

dustin Bradley

• http://www.myspace.com/drumdogman
Re: LOOKING TO UPGRADE
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 11:59:06 PM »

shouldn't this topic be in lab lounge? Rolling Eyes
~ dustin B

Duncan McLennan

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 12:17:07 AM »

For small DJ rigs I think the JBL stuff is great.  Mostly because of their very high power handling, low weight, and small size.

Bob is absolutely right though.  You definitely should not have the amp bridged into both subs.  That's a 2Ω total load, which is equivalent to a 1Ω load on each amp channel.  I'm surprised the subs are working at all if that's actually how they're hooked up.
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 01:47:36 AM »

dustin Bradley wrote on Mon, 31 August 2009 20:59

shouldn't this topic be in lab lounge? Rolling Eyes

It should be in the Basement, along with every other DJ post.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Tom Corley

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 03:48:20 AM »

This is my first time using this site. I will in the future post in the baesment if that is the proper protocol. Thank you all for your insight and information.

Ivan Beaver

Re: LOOKING TO UPGRADE-Which brings up another point
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 07:50:25 AM »

Duncan McLennan wrote on Tue, 01 September 2009 00:17

Bob is absolutely right though.  You definitely should not have the amp bridged into both subs.  That's a 2Ω total load, which is equivalent to a 1Ω load on each amp channel.  I'm surprised the subs are working at all if that's actually how they're hooked up.

That brings up another point.  Is the OP SURE he is running the bridged amp PROPERLY?  ie loudspeakers hooked between the two + (hot) terminals and nothing hooked to the - or gnd terminals.

Yes, you are totally correct in the fact that if he is doing that he is loading down the amp way to much, and that could be causing all sorts of problems with the sound.

The other is that that if all he did was flip the bridge switch and hook the subs up normally, he is cancelling out a huge hunk of his bass-and that is contributing to his poor sound quality.

Either way-he needs to change something-BEFORE he goes out and jsut buys new gear.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Duncan McLennan

Re: LOOKING TO UPGRADE-Which brings up another point
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 10:22:34 AM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Tue, 01 September 2009 07:50

The other is that that if all he did was flip the bridge switch and hook the subs up normally, he is cancelling out a huge hunk of his bass-and that is contributing to his poor sound quality.

I had thought about asking that too... figured the crossover question was enough for now.

So what are you using for crossover, and can you describe exactly how the subs are hooked up?  Like what cables, what amplifier setting, etc.  As Ivan said, If you set the amp to bridge mode, then just hooked one sub up to each channel, you've inverted the polarity of one loudspeaker, and you're canceling all the bottom end.
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario

Mike Palmer

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 12:16:32 PM »

IF you want serious Bass

TRY KV2 EX or Es series
Michael Palmer
National Sales Manager
Allen & Heath USA
michael.palmer@ah-usa.com

Jordan Wolf

• http://www.facebook.com/howlingwolf487
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 12:49:21 PM »

Tom Corley wrote on Tue, 01 September 2009 03:48

This is my first time using this site. I will in the future post in the baesment if that is the proper protocol. Thank you all for your insight and information.

Some (many?) people, on this site have a severe dislike for DJs due to bad past experiences with them.  The Lab Lounge is the right place to post and is a great source of information - it may even cause you to rethink the way you look at your sound system.

Regardless of what opinions the people on this forum have about DJs, I hope you can learn from the information here and also others' knowledge and experiences so that you won't become one of those DJs that the sound guys curse at under their breath.

Welcome and don't forget to check out the Study Hall
Wolf
<><

"A lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
- Me

"With that much comb filtering you could probably part your hair just by walking through the room." - Dick Rees

Tom Corley

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 02:55:06 PM »

Thank you. I am always looking to learn from others "best practice". Playing music is only half the battle. I did get the distinct impression that my questions were rubbing some the wrong way. With the knowledge base on this site I hope those of you that are extremely informed will have patience with those of us that have room to grow.

Tom Corley

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 02:59:08 PM »

That is rather harsh. If you have information that would be helpful why not share it. I am capable of comprehending what you say. Each one should teach one. If not, others will be reluctant to ask what you think are elementary questions and will continue to be uninformed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 17 queries.