ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: LOOKING TO UPGRADE  (Read 14507 times)

Tom Corley

LOOKING TO UPGRADE
« on: August 31, 2009, 06:28:45 PM »

I AM A MOBILE DJ WITH 30 YEARS IN THE GAME. I AM CURRENTLY USING EON TOPS AND MRX 518 SUBS POWERED BY A CROWN 400OI POWER AMP. I AM RUNNING THE SUBS BRIDGED. I AM LOOKING TO UPGRADE. I AM FROM THE SCHOOL OF HIGH FIDELITY AND THERE IS NEVER TOO MUCH BASS. I DO NOT HAVE AN UNLIMITED BUDGET  AND MY RIG MUST BE POTRABLE BY ME ALONE. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. I HAVE LISTENED TO TONS OF EQUP FROM YORKVILLE(NOT BAD BUT HEAVY)TO MEYER( IF I EVER HIT THE LOTTERY..)

Ivan Beaver

Re: LOOKING TO UPGRADE
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 06:52:38 PM »

Tom Corley wrote on Mon, 31 August 2009 18:28

I AM A MOBILE DJ WITH 30 YEARS IN THE GAME. I AM CURRENTLY USING EON TOPS AND MRX 518 SUBS POWERED BY A CROWN 400OI POWER AMP. I AM RUNNING THE SUBS BRIDGED. I AM LOOKING TO UPGRADE. I AM FROM THE SCHOOL OF HIGH FIDELITY AND THERE IS NEVER TOO MUCH BASS. I DO NOT HAVE AN UNLIMITED BUDGET  AND MY RIG MUST BE POTRABLE BY ME ALONE. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. I HAVE LISTENED TO TONS OF EQUP FROM YORKVILLE(NOT BAD BUT HEAVY)TO MEYER( IF I EVER HIT THE LOTTERY..)

Stop yelling and give an idea of your budget and does size matter to you?  

What are you transporting your gear in? It is one thing to roll it onto a trailer and quite another to have to lift it up to a highrise pickup.

Giving some details will help.

For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Tom Corley

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 07:00:38 PM »

Sorry got stuck on caps lock...I looking to spend up to $3,000. I have two mini vans available. My average event is 200-400ppl. On occasion a big show of about 6-700.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 07:13:05 PM »

Tom Corley wrote on Mon, 31 August 2009 19:00

Sorry got stuck on caps lock...I looking to spend up to $3,000. I have two mini vans available. My average event is 200-400ppl. On occasion a big show of about 6-700.

And what all is to be included in that price?

What is more important to you-quality or loudness?

Is that 3K after you sell your current gear or in addition to.

A limited budget means something has to "give".
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Tom Corley

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 09:36:41 PM »

Tonal quality comes first.I don't want to be just loud. Volume without fidelity is just a mess. I plan on keeping my current gear. If need be I would sell it to augment the $3,000.

Duncan McLennan

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 10:07:16 PM »

So do you need to keep your current gear in addition to the new purchases or not?

Basically what I think you need to get at is WHY do you want to make a change, and what exactly are you trying to achieve.

If you have enough volume for the gigs you are doing, but don't have enough sound quality, sell the EON tops and replace them, maybe with something like the MRX515 or SRX715.

If the sound quality is good enough for your needs, but you need more volume, look into getting more speakers.
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario

Tom Corley

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 10:14:44 PM »

The tops are adequate the subs, however, are not getting it done. I feel the system is over matched at times. The biggest challenge is the low end at high volume. I am not getting tight bass at all. I am using a Rane TTM57 mixer with a 4 channel Mackie board to better control the high end as well as to get more head room. But in the end I am concerned that the problem lies elsewhere.

Duncan McLennan

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 10:55:49 PM »

Well then if you're not happy with the bottom end, I think a sub upgrade would be the obvious next step.  

You seem to like JBL, and the SRX 718 is a very well respected sub on these forums.  If you keep your eyes open for used or B-stock gear you could probably get a pair of 718s and an iTech to power them for within your budget.

Also keep in mind that what you hear as the bottom end not sounding good may actually be the bottom end of the EON cabinets, not just the subs.  An upgrade to the top boxes might clean up the midbass and improve the 'punch'.

The sale of the MRX subs, the EONS and the XTi amp should be enough to buy some used/B-stock 712s or 715s that will help with the top end as well.  Put tops on one side, subs on the other side of your new iTech.

At least that's what I would do for a small, super portable JBL rig for recorded music.

What are you using as a crossover between your tops and subs now?
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario

Tom Corley

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 11:11:32 PM »

I bought JBL because of force of habit. I used to use Cerwin Vega speakers in the old days. But I am open to any suggestions. I am running from the preamp in my mixer to the Mackie board. Do you think I would gain a lot by using some other outboard gear.

Bob Kenton

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 11:51:54 PM »

Just a side note regarding your current sub set up. Your MRX518's have a 4ohm rating, you should be running your amp stereo (one amp side per sub) instead of bridged.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.