Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

Wireless HogPC

<< < (2/2)

Scott Raymond:

--- Quote from: Jason Phair on March 06, 2011, 02:21:30 PM ---Hog3PC...laptop running as control.

Not looking for this for in-show purposes, more as an RFU-ish type situation where I can just grab the laptop and walk out to the truss with it for troubleshooting purposes, or take it onstage for focusing/programming.

So, setup would be: Laptop-->Wireless Router-->UBox-->Widget.

--- End quote ---

Jason,

Yes, it can be done.  I don't do a lot with my Hog3PC but I bought one used with a wing at a price I couldn't pass up.  I had the software on a Gateway tablet (XP) and just used a good ole linsys router > UBox > widget > DMX.  It worked flawlessly when I've used it.   (I can't say the same for using it with the Yamaha DM1000 however.) The playback wing even had a loose usb connector which would cause it to drop out if bumped but it would come back as soon as you reconnected it. (I need to find a new connector for that  BTW  ::) )  I even ended up doing a show with it once.  We were running late on a tight show doing last minute focus behind closed curtain and it got so close to curtain I just went to FOH ,plugged in the wing and away we went without a problem. ( I was going to go hardwire for the show for peace of mind.)  Now the last time I tried to use it I had some issues.  My Gateway had died on me so I installed HogPC on a Lenovo X61 Tablet (also XP).  I couldn't get it to completely connect to the Widget.  It would get all the status lights except one.  I didn't have time to troubleshoot then and haven't gotten back to it yet.  It could of been a couple of things.  I accidentally  installed and older version of the U-Box driver and may have messed up when I installed the newer one or.....  The Hog PC version was a newer version that I downloaded off their site so it's possible something changed there.  I have to try re-doing the U-Box driver first and see if that will fix it.  It worked well when I was using it for what you want to do.  I also haven't tried it on anything with Windows 7 yet.

Scott

Jason Phair:
Scott, thanks...X60 on XP here.  Like I said, I wouldn't be running a show off of it, and since I already HAVE the UBox for the 5D, I thought I could make up something kinda convenient.

--- Quote from: Scott Raymond on March 07, 2011, 10:30:42 AM ---Jason,

Yes, it can be done.  I don't do a lot with my Hog3PC but I bought one used with a wing at a price I couldn't pass up.  I had the software on a Gateway tablet (XP) and just used a good ole linsys router > UBox > widget > DMX.  It worked flawlessly when I've used it.   (I can't say the same for using it with the Yamaha DM1000 however.) The playback wing even had a loose usb connector which would cause it to drop out if bumped but it would come back as soon as you reconnected it. (I need to find a new connector for that  BTW  ::) )  I even ended up doing a show with it once.  We were running late on a tight show doing last minute focus behind closed curtain and it got so close to curtain I just went to FOH ,plugged in the wing and away we went without a problem. ( I was going to go hardwire for the show for peace of mind.)  Now the last time I tried to use it I had some issues.  My Gateway had died on me so I installed HogPC on a Lenovo X61 Tablet (also XP).  I couldn't get it to completely connect to the Widget.  It would get all the status lights except one.  I didn't have time to troubleshoot then and haven't gotten back to it yet.  It could of been a couple of things.  I accidentally  installed and older version of the U-Box driver and may have messed up when I installed the newer one or.....  The Hog PC version was a newer version that I downloaded off their site so it's possible something changed there.  I have to try re-doing the U-Box driver first and see if that will fix it.  It worked well when I was using it for what you want to do.  I also haven't tried it on anything with Windows 7 yet.

Scott

--- End quote ---

Len Woelfel:
As I mentioned, an RFU should be possible in the aftermarket world.  Check with Apple or on the Hog forum.  I'll bet someone has written an ipad/iphone ap for Hog.  There's one for LightJockey already so there certainly should be one for Hog.  Also, you could get a tablet notebook like a toughbook and use that as your remote client.  If you plan to use this system for touring/one-offs, you'll probably need to invest in a wireless router or a phone with a hotspot in case the venue doesn't have a wi-fi connection. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version