Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

Wireless HogPC

(1/2) > >>

Jason Phair:
So I just ordered a Lantronix U-Box so I can go wireless with control of my 5D's.  Right after I ordered it, it occurred to me that I should be able to do the same thing with my HogPC w/Widget setup. 

Has anyone tried this or seen it done?  USB over wireless is notorious for failures, but the UBox does seem to be king, at least as far as audio is concerned, but I haven't seemed to find any squints talking about it yet.

Len Woelfel:

--- Quote from: Jason Phair on March 06, 2011, 01:21:15 PM ---
--- End quote ---

There's 2 possible answers.  There's wireless dmx, which can transmit data from here to there.  Prices range from inexpensive, like Chauvet and Elation, to W-DMX, etc., which are more. 

If you want to be able to have a wireless control surface, and leave your hogpc, or whatever, at FOH, that's out there too.  But it's after market, and your best bet is to find something that integrates with your pc hardware.  I hear ipad has some aps that run things like LightJockey, or have the ability to wirelessly control pc, but I haven't looked seriously because I don't have a need for those products.

James Feenstra:

--- Quote from: Jason Phair on March 06, 2011, 01:21:15 PM ---So I just ordered a Lantronix U-Box so I can go wireless with control of my 5D's.  Right after I ordered it, it occurred to me that I should be able to do the same thing with my HogPC w/Widget setup. 

Has anyone tried this or seen it done?  USB over wireless is notorious for failures, but the UBox does seem to be king, at least as far as audio is concerned, but I haven't seemed to find any squints talking about it yet.

--- End quote ---
Depends, what hog are you using?

If it's an ipc console you might not be able to do anything remotely without a hog rfu...havent gotten into the ipc networking enough

If you're running it off a laptop there's always a vnc/remote desktop option, although you'll need a second laptop to walk around with (or iPhone/iPad/other device with vnc/rd capabilities)

Jason Phair:
Hog3PC...laptop running as control.

Not looking for this for in-show purposes, more as an RFU-ish type situation where I can just grab the laptop and walk out to the truss with it for troubleshooting purposes, or take it onstage for focusing/programming.

So, setup would be: Laptop-->Wireless Router-->UBox-->Widget.

James Feenstra:

--- Quote from: Jason Phair on March 06, 2011, 02:21:30 PM ---Hog3PC...laptop running as control.

Not looking for this for in-show purposes, more as an RFU-ish type situation where I can just grab the laptop and walk out to the truss with it for troubleshooting purposes, or take it onstage for focusing/programming.

So, setup would be: Laptop-->Wireless Router-->UBox-->Widget.

--- End quote ---
in that case why not just take the laptop and widget to the stage and run a dmx line to wherever the stage end of your snake is?

seems a lot easier than bringing out a bunch of wireless stuff and hoping it'll work properly!

if you really want to do wireless, i'd still got with a remote desktop or vnc option

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version