Elation Active Scan 250
- 2 (40%)
Clay Paky Mini Scan HPE
- 2 (40%)
Neither
- 1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Elation or Clay  (Read 4762 times)

Cameron M Gunn

Elation or Clay
« on: March 08, 2011, 09:09:54 PM »

I'm looking for a decent replacement for my Mania SCX500's. The main priority is something brighter any more durable. Rotating gobos and other "extras " are a bonus. I'm looking at either Elation Active Scans or Clay Paky Mini Scan HPEs. What other scanners would be recommend in the sub $400 range? On a side note I can get 2 RoboScan Pro 1220's for $700 (the DMX-512 version), they're pretty heavy, but would it be worth considering over te above choices?

duane massey

Re: Elation or Clay
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:12:49 PM »

You do know that the Active Scans have been discontinued for several years, right? And the HPE has been replace by the HPE at considerably more than $400...list is over $ 4,000? Or are you looking at used fixtures only? If so, I'd say "none of the above". The 1220's are beasts and not particularly bright, considering the weight and the replacement bulb expense. Parts for all the fixtures you mentioned can be a challenge, especially the Active Scan, and you should be prepared to DIY unless there is an experienced service tech in your area.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Cameron M Gunn

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 11:17:44 PM »

You do know that the Active Scans have been discontinued for several years, right? And the HPE has been replace by the HPE at considerably more than $400...list is over $ 4,000? Or are you looking at used fixtures only? If so, I'd say "none of the above". The 1220's are beasts and not particularly bright, considering the weight and the replacement bulb expense. Parts for all the fixtures you mentioned can be a challenge, especially the Active Scan, and you should be prepared to DIY unless there is an experienced service tech in your area.

I've serviced Active Scans before (and more Martin movers/scanners than I'd care to remember). I know they're discontinued and replacement parts are scarce. As for the Mini scans, I'm talking about the HPE's, not the new ones. Either direction will be used.

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 11:55:45 PM »

In that case I'd look for used Technobeams. Parts are available, fixtures are made to be easily serviced,and they are as bright or brighter than any other 250w discharge fixture.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Cameron M Gunn

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 12:16:23 AM »

In that case I'd look for used Technobeams. Parts are available, fixtures are made to be easily serviced,and they are as bright or brighter than any other 250w discharge fixture.

The cheapest I've seen was around $725, for that I'd rather buy Design Spots, which I unfortunately can't afford. As for the Mini Scan HPE, I can get those somewhere between $99 and $299 each. I already have an Active Scan I pulled from a install that gave it to me. I like the active scan much better than the Manias, but it's loud, old and noisy. My main question is, since I can sell the SCX500's for the same as I can but the Clay or Elation or something else in that price range ($299-399), should I do that, or keep the SCX500's?

Len Woelfel

• Chicago Lighting Design
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 08:41:05 AM »

Hard to recommend a specific product used, especially discontinued, because supply is so inconsistent.  I'd love to have some Roboscan 1200 HMI.  Yellow and red are awesome on those fixtures.  But they're huge.  I think Technobeams would be a good choice since you can still buy them new from Strong, parts are easy, etc.  Based on your comments about cost, maybe look at the Martin dj scanner line.  Even if they get discontinued soon, you'll have better parts availability. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 08:41:05 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 28 queries.