ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless HogPC  (Read 5926 times)

Jason Phair

• Marketplace
Wireless HogPC
« on: March 06, 2011, 01:21:15 PM »

So I just ordered a Lantronix U-Box so I can go wireless with control of my 5D's.  Right after I ordered it, it occurred to me that I should be able to do the same thing with my HogPC w/Widget setup. 

Has anyone tried this or seen it done?  USB over wireless is notorious for failures, but the UBox does seem to be king, at least as far as audio is concerned, but I haven't seemed to find any squints talking about it yet.

Len Woelfel

• Chicago Lighting Design
Re: Wireless HogPC
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 01:59:31 PM »

There's 2 possible answers.  There's wireless dmx, which can transmit data from here to there.  Prices range from inexpensive, like Chauvet and Elation, to W-DMX, etc., which are more. 

If you want to be able to have a wireless control surface, and leave your hogpc, or whatever, at FOH, that's out there too.  But it's after market, and your best bet is to find something that integrates with your pc hardware.  I hear ipad has some aps that run things like LightJockey, or have the ability to wirelessly control pc, but I haven't looked seriously because I don't have a need for those products.

James Feenstra

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 02:07:27 PM »

So I just ordered a Lantronix U-Box so I can go wireless with control of my 5D's.  Right after I ordered it, it occurred to me that I should be able to do the same thing with my HogPC w/Widget setup. 

Has anyone tried this or seen it done?  USB over wireless is notorious for failures, but the UBox does seem to be king, at least as far as audio is concerned, but I haven't seemed to find any squints talking about it yet.
Depends, what hog are you using?

If it's an ipc console you might not be able to do anything remotely without a hog rfu...havent gotten into the ipc networking enough

If you're running it off a laptop there's always a vnc/remote desktop option, although you'll need a second laptop to walk around with (or iPhone/iPad/other device with vnc/rd capabilities)
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Jason Phair

• Marketplace
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 02:21:30 PM »

Hog3PC...laptop running as control.

Not looking for this for in-show purposes, more as an RFU-ish type situation where I can just grab the laptop and walk out to the truss with it for troubleshooting purposes, or take it onstage for focusing/programming.

So, setup would be: Laptop-->Wireless Router-->UBox-->Widget.

James Feenstra

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 10:19:43 PM »

Not looking for this for in-show purposes, more as an RFU-ish type situation where I can just grab the laptop and walk out to the truss with it for troubleshooting purposes, or take it onstage for focusing/programming.

in that case why not just take the laptop and widget to the stage and run a dmx line to wherever the stage end of your snake is?

seems a lot easier than bringing out a bunch of wireless stuff and hoping it'll work properly!

if you really want to do wireless, i'd still got with a remote desktop or vnc option
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Scott Raymond

• Nebraska
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 10:30:42 AM »

Jason,

Yes, it can be done.  I don't do a lot with my Hog3PC but I bought one used with a wing at a price I couldn't pass up.  I had the software on a Gateway tablet (XP) and just used a good ole linsys router > UBox > widget > DMX.  It worked flawlessly when I've used it.   (I can't say the same for using it with the Yamaha DM1000 however.) The playback wing even had a loose usb connector which would cause it to drop out if bumped but it would come back as soon as you reconnected it. (I need to find a new connector for that  BTW  ::) )  I even ended up doing a show with it once.  We were running late on a tight show doing last minute focus behind closed curtain and it got so close to curtain I just went to FOH ,plugged in the wing and away we went without a problem. ( I was going to go hardwire for the show for peace of mind.)  Now the last time I tried to use it I had some issues.  My Gateway had died on me so I installed HogPC on a Lenovo X61 Tablet (also XP).  I couldn't get it to completely connect to the Widget.  It would get all the status lights except one.  I didn't have time to troubleshoot then and haven't gotten back to it yet.  It could of been a couple of things.  I accidentally  installed and older version of the U-Box driver and may have messed up when I installed the newer one or.....  The Hog PC version was a newer version that I downloaded off their site so it's possible something changed there.  I have to try re-doing the U-Box driver first and see if that will fix it.  It worked well when I was using it for what you want to do.  I also haven't tried it on anything with Windows 7 yet.

Scott
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:38:45 AM by Scott Raymond »

Jason Phair

• Marketplace
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 09:10:58 PM »

Scott, thanks...X60 on XP here.  Like I said, I wouldn't be running a show off of it, and since I already HAVE the UBox for the 5D, I thought I could make up something kinda convenient.

Jason,

Yes, it can be done.  I don't do a lot with my Hog3PC but I bought one used with a wing at a price I couldn't pass up.  I had the software on a Gateway tablet (XP) and just used a good ole linsys router > UBox > widget > DMX.  It worked flawlessly when I've used it.   (I can't say the same for using it with the Yamaha DM1000 however.) The playback wing even had a loose usb connector which would cause it to drop out if bumped but it would come back as soon as you reconnected it. (I need to find a new connector for that  BTW  ::) )  I even ended up doing a show with it once.  We were running late on a tight show doing last minute focus behind closed curtain and it got so close to curtain I just went to FOH ,plugged in the wing and away we went without a problem. ( I was going to go hardwire for the show for peace of mind.)  Now the last time I tried to use it I had some issues.  My Gateway had died on me so I installed HogPC on a Lenovo X61 Tablet (also XP).  I couldn't get it to completely connect to the Widget.  It would get all the status lights except one.  I didn't have time to troubleshoot then and haven't gotten back to it yet.  It could of been a couple of things.  I accidentally  installed and older version of the U-Box driver and may have messed up when I installed the newer one or.....  The Hog PC version was a newer version that I downloaded off their site so it's possible something changed there.  I have to try re-doing the U-Box driver first and see if that will fix it.  It worked well when I was using it for what you want to do.  I also haven't tried it on anything with Windows 7 yet.

Scott

Len Woelfel

• Chicago Lighting Design
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 08:46:32 AM »

As I mentioned, an RFU should be possible in the aftermarket world.  Check with Apple or on the Hog forum.  I'll bet someone has written an ipad/iphone ap for Hog.  There's one for LightJockey already so there certainly should be one for Hog.  Also, you could get a tablet notebook like a toughbook and use that as your remote client.  If you plan to use this system for touring/one-offs, you'll probably need to invest in a wireless router or a phone with a hotspot in case the venue doesn't have a wi-fi connection. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 08:46:32 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 24 queries.