ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: System Controller  (Read 7121 times)

Kevin Rhodus

System Controller
« on: August 20, 2009, 11:38:05 AM »

Howdy,

I am designing an install and am looking for recommendations on a system controller. What I want is the ability to control the unit and specifically the levels for the zones remotely (from a computer) and possibly (not required) from a control panel on the rack. There is going to be 5-6 different zones that all are going to be getting a feed from an iPod (hopefully in the future a network audio feed). Also, the controller (or another unit) needs to be able to mute the audio from the iPod at night (on a set schedule).

I found the Symetrix Zone Mix 760 which seems to do almost everything I am looking for, but I am open to other suggestions. The nice thing about the Symetrix is the ability to add control panels that have mic in's. This would give us the ability to have someone plug a mic in and give a presentation from 2-3 of the zones, which is always a plus.  

Thanks!

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• http://www.comsystecusa.com
Re: System Controller
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 04:51:34 PM »

Possibly off topic but you mention an iPod as a music source. Aside from the fact that it amazes me that someone would consider a personal audio device as a music source in a commercial venue anyway, (and yes, I know they make all kinds of cables and docking adapters) I think it's worthwhile to again talk about the legalities of using music in a business environment. Unless what you have on that iPod is royalty free music or you are paying royalties directly, the use of that music in a commercial venue is illegal.

I assume that you thought that this would be a quick and dirty way to provide music. It might be in your home for you or your guests personal enjoyment, but for business use you have to pay up.

-Hal

Kevin Rhodus

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 06:35:56 PM »

We do pay ASCAP and BMI fees yearly. Currently throught the park we are using multiple Muzak systems, iPods, Alcorn McBride players, and others. We have found that the iPods have been the most cost effective and also reliable players. Our only problem with them is there is no easy way to program them to come on and off at a set time.

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 08:14:01 PM »

I love the 760, but keep in mind that when you add one of their controllers with a mic jack on it you still have to wire it into one of the four mic inputs on the main unit.

for the features you describe I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything cheaper

Jason

Craig Hauber

• http://www.csaproductionsinc.com
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 03:36:21 AM »

Even though it's not correct everybody is doing it.  Managers and owners are unplugging muzak boxes and CD changers all across this country and plugging in whatever adaptors they bought at radioshack to use an ipod instead -all by themselves and without our assistance too!  It's going to be a serious and unstoppable trend that will only get worse if the music industry tries to enforce the "proper" way with fines and lawsuits.

From an equipment standpoint they are awful.  Inconsistent volume between songs even with soundcheck on.  Clipping and distortion by the 'pod itself if bass boosters and other EQ settings are selected.  No crossfade between songs (c'mon apple, I'ts been years -add that damn feature -iTunes has had it from the beginning running on machines with less processor capability than these portable devices currently have)

What's even worse is the wholesale dumping of entire music libraries from the owners other restaurants into a new location.  Or a management employee that used to work for one chain bringing a HD copy of their old employers library with them to their new job.

The whole situation is one big cloudy legal mess.

Craig Hauber
CSA Productions Inc.
Ventura-Santa Barbara CA
www.csaproductionsinc.com

Tim Padrick

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 09:49:56 PM »

I don't know how many controllers you can have at a given time, but the Rane RPM88 may be the ticket for you.  8 in (mic or line level) + 2 AES, 8 out (+ 2 AES), fully configurable (in your case you could do four stereo inputs mixed to four mono sources, split to 8 mono outputs.  Each in and out can have comp, EQ, volume leveling....  If you can buy used, they sell on eBay for less than 1/3 of MSRP.  http://www.rane.com/rpm88.html

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 10:21:29 PM »

I would look at the Biamp line of products-specifically the Audia and the Nexia.

The biggest difference is that the Nexia is more limited on inputs and outputs.

You can control via various panels by Biamp-computer or Crestron via RS232.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Lee Douglas

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 10:31:59 PM »

You might also check out Penton Audio for some solutions.

http://www.penton-usa.com/dsp.php
My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot...

Tom Young

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 06:42:01 AM »

I also like the Biamp Audia/Nexia stuff quite a bit. Not the cheapest but very reliable, easy to maneuver and with lots of processing functions.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 07:23:05 AM »

Tom Young wrote on Tue, 25 August 2009 06:42

easy to maneuver and with lots of processing functions.

If you choose to use them. Rolling Eyes

There is a brand new (think weeks old) local HS football stadium job that we are going to replace in a week or so.

The origional installer put a Nexia in.  The TOTAL processing for the system is a high pass filter-feedback eliminator and a limiter. That is IT!

SO why go with an good processor?  OH, higher profit margins.

They didn't even lock it out Laughing so we went right in to see what they had "not done".

I guess those paging horns are so good they don't need any eq Laughing  Shocked
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 18 queries.