ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley Demo Review  (Read 54513 times)

Pascal Pincosy

Re: Danley Demo Review
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2009, 04:55:52 PM »

Ron Kimball wrote on Sun, 23 August 2009 10:44

Pascal Pincosy wrote:

We solved the problem by turning the gain down a bit and raising the HPF from 25Hz to 30Hz.

Slope? Butterworth, Bessel or Linkwitz-Riley?

I believe the Danley rep set the crossovers to 18 or 24 Butterworth and we stuck with that.
Know:Audio
--------------------------------
US Distributor: Trabes/MG Srl
Speaker Lifts-Truss-Roof Systems

Pascal Pincosy

« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2009, 04:58:59 PM »

Frederik Rosenkj
Know:Audio
--------------------------------
US Distributor: Trabes/MG Srl
Speaker Lifts-Truss-Roof Systems

Michael Hedden Jr.

« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2009, 05:10:25 PM »

Berti Jacobs wrote on Sun, 23 August 2009 16:15

Silas,

+1   I also would like to know how a 1:1 comparison LAB / TH412
turns out  max SPL  low-end  ect. thanks,

I will encourage Tom to chime in on this as he would be the definitive authority on the subject but low freq extension wise, Danley Sound Labs has at least five commercial subs with significantly more low frequency extension than the Lab sub (TH115, TH215, TH812, TH412, TH221).  I recently did a side by side comparison of an SH46/TH412 system next to a very highly regarded system comprised of two different subs in addition to the tops.  The TH412 had +20dB difference from 40Hz and below and it of course was easy to hear on almost any track.  Perhaps we at Danley have enough subs that are truly infra and should turn our guns on products with ridiculous output but only going down into the 45Hz range.

Mike Hedden
Danley Sound Labs, Inc.  

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2009, 05:34:23 PM »

Michael Hedden Jr. wrote on Sun, 23 August 2009 17:10

Berti Jacobs wrote on Sun, 23 August 2009 16:15

Silas,

+1   I also would like to know how a 1:1 comparison LAB / TH412
turns out  max SPL  low-end  ect. thanks,

The TH412 had +20dB difference from 40Hz and below and it of course was easy to hear on almost any track.  Perhaps we at Danley have enough subs that are truly infra and should turn our guns on products with ridiculous output but only going down into the 45Hz range.

Mike Hedden
Danley Sound Labs, Inc.  

Mike, I would actually be interested in a product such as that.  Like a flat to 40-45hz but very, very efficient in that 45-100hz range, but then of course the harder part to do that all in a managable size for a weekend warrior!  Wink

Thanks!
Phil
"It is good to be Alive!"

L and L: Live Sound
landllivesound.com

Rick Powell

« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2009, 06:52:14 PM »

[quote title=Phil Lewandowski wrote on Sun, 23 August 2009 16:34Mike, I would actually be interested in a product such as that.  Like a flat to 40-45hz but very, very efficient in that 45-100hz range, but then of course the harder part to do that all in a managable size for a weekend warrior!  Wink

Thanks!
Phil[/quote]

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/tapped_horn.asp?MODEL=TH%20MI NI
Rick Powell
StudioLive 16:4:2
JTR Triple 8 Mains
Danley TH115 Subwoofers
Bag End TA15 Floor Monitors
Crown xti6000/4000/2000

"There are two types of people...those who divide people into two types, and those who don't."

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2009, 07:37:29 PM »

Rick Powell wrote on Sun, 23 August 2009 18:52

Hey Rick,

That gets close but I demo'ed the TH-Mini's and Growlers next to each other and the slight low-end extension advantage that the Growlers had was apparent.  So I am thinking something in between a TH-115 and TH-Mini.  That might be too small of a gap for them to consider but maybe not.

Phil
"It is good to be Alive!"

L and L: Live Sound
landllivesound.com

Paul Dershem

« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2009, 11:07:07 PM »

Phil Lewandowski wrote on Sun, 23 August 2009 18:37

Hey Rick,

That gets close but I demo'ed the TH-Mini's and Growlers next to each other and the slight low-end extension advantage that the Growlers had was apparent.  So I am thinking something in between a TH-115 and TH-Mini.  That might be too small of a gap for them to consider but maybe not.

Phil

Reasonably flat and efficient from ~100 Hz down to 40 or 45Hz, sized between the TH-115 and the TH-mini, and competitively priced, would excite a lot of small bands, like mine, that gig with their own PA. I don't have space for LAB subs or double-eighteens, and we're playing live music at levels that make small club owners happy - disco volume and uber-deep throbbing bass aren't even on our radar.

After reading numerous threads and visiting the web sites of several retailers and manufacturers, this niche market seems somewhat underserved.

A powered TH-mini or Growler with a built-in crossover would be just the kind of off-the-shelf solution I'm looking for - especially if were touted by the ranks of grizzled SR professionals as the real deal.  Smile

Please be patient; I'm a noob!

Winston Gamble

« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2009, 01:27:46 AM »

Paul Dershem wrote on Mon, 24 August 2009 04:07

Phil Lewandowski wrote on Sun, 23 August 2009 18:37

Hey Rick,

Phil

Reasonably flat and efficient from ~100 Hz down to 40 or 45Hz, sized between the TH-115 and the TH-mini, and competitively priced, would excite a lot of small bands, like mine, that gig with their own PA. I don't have space for LAB subs or double-eighteens, and we're playing live music at levels that make small club owners happy - disco volume and uber-deep throbbing bass aren't even on our radar.

After reading numerous threads and visiting the web sites of several retailers and manufacturers, this niche market seems somewhat underserved.

A powered TH-mini or Growler with a built-in crossover would be just the kind of off-the-shelf solution I'm looking for - especially if were touted by the ranks of grizzled SR professionals as the real deal.  Smile

I've never heard the Growler, but I've also never had anybody complain about any missing 5hz of low end from our TH-Mini's. Sure, it's probably apparent to a bunch of sound nerds if you have the two next to each other. I'm sure all of us would notice the difference in response between the two if we could listen to them both at the same time. But for live rock and blues, most bar patrons probably wouldn't notice the difference even if you pointed it out. Although they would nod and make agreeable noises. Rolling Eyes
Obviously the Growler is a quality product as is evident from all the positive feedback it receives here. However, I don't understand why it's always being compared to the TH-Mini. It's not that much smaller than a standard single 18" sub so if size is a major concern there just isn't much comparison between the two what with the Mini being about 40% smaller.  
" target="_blank">http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k309/lifeloverwg/subwooferlineup.jpg

Sure, I like extended low frequency response as much as the next guy, but I don't have the pack space and we really don't need it.    Winston

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2009, 02:32:17 AM »

Hi Mike-

You need the sub equivalent of "It's a dessert topping/no, it's a floor wax."

I think subwoofer buyers come in 3 basic flavors: 1) the bad-ass kick drum crowd/live rock, pop, country; 2) extended LF for dance, SFX, certain genres of live and 3) people who need BOTH attributes and can juggle the size, price and performance criteria to find a product.  Type 3 buyers probably aren't in this forum.

The Type 1 buyer would gladly sacrifice the bottom 1/3 ocatave of the TH115 if it means one or more of smaller, cheaper, higher long term output could be achieved.  Extra points if it's a useful size ratio for PA stacking and easy transport.  The response can drop like a stone at 40hz and nobody will cry.  Besides, Danley has some nice infra stuff to go with it if they become at Type 2 buyer. Smile

The open question is what exact new product(s) would be profitable for DSL to service this market if it chose to.  What trade offs will this market accept?  Will buyers actually then purchase that feature set or remain fixated on a lesser product for less money?  My new Digital Crystal Ball
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Michael Hedden Jr.

« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2009, 08:56:15 AM »

Tim McCulloch wrote on Mon, 24 August 2009 07:32

Hi Mike-

You need the sub equivalent of "It's a dessert topping/no, it's a floor wax."

Tim Mc

"Shimmer, It's the best shine you've ever tasted!"

Mike Hedden
Old School SNL Fan
Danley Sound Labs, In.c
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up