ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley Demo Review  (Read 40917 times)

Frederik Rosenkjær

• http://www.blackburst.dk
Re: Danley Demo Review
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2009, 01:53:03 pm »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Fri, 21 August 2009 18:25

The issues with moving a single TH212 are two fold.  A pair sitting on a dolly is easy.

First when you go to move it, the handle position is in favor of  "vertically challenged" people.  Taller people have to lean down a bit.

The other reason is that it "doesn't take corners well".

This is due to the narrow width (shallow height) that makes it great for sticking under stages and so forth, and the wheels being close together.

If you take corners not to carefully they can tend to fall over out of your hands.

I agree that the movement/balancing of the TH115 is much better, but the TH212 was trying to keep into a relatively small package that was versital-due to the two possible sound "exits".

But the TH1212's are smaller than a TH115 and take up less truck space.  In a standard truck you can put 12 of them easily in 3' of truck space and be 6' high.  If you you can stack a couple more on top. Rolling Eyes

I see. Thanks for clarifying, Ivan! (once again Smile)

Sounds like trade-offs I can live with.

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2009, 01:58:43 pm »

Silas Pradetto wrote on Thu, 20 August 2009 10:53

How rockin' was the TH412? My demo is shipping to me today so I'll be reviewing and comparing to LABs in a few days.

Was it ridiculous? Or just really good...

Hmmm, a TH412 just showed up at my shop (thanks Danley). Anything anyone wants me to test in particular?

Art Welter

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2009, 02:37:04 pm »

Silas Pradetto wrote on Fri, 21 August 2009 11:58

How rockin' was the TH412? My demo is shipping to me today so I'll be reviewing and comparing to LABs in a few days.

Hmmm, a TH412 just showed up at my shop (thanks Danley). Anything anyone wants me to test in particular?

Amplitude and phase response under the same test conditions as the last test with the Labs and Th-115.

A/B listening tests with adequate AC power..

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2009, 07:10:17 pm »

Silas Pradetto wrote on Fri, 21 August 2009 13:58

First impressions of the TH412 vs LAB:

Unfortunately, a pair of LABs with half the power kills the TH412 by a solid 3+ dB. The TH412 really needs that 200Hz bump EQ'd out or it's really obvious and "boinky". The TH412 came wired for 2 ohms, I rewired it for 2 x 4 ohms and hooked it up to an IT8000. This time I'm on a dedicated 30 amp 240 volt circuit with 60 feet of 10 gauge cord running from the main service entrance to the amp rack. Far before I even reach the rated RMS power (2x 1400 watts at 4 ohms) it sounds like the woofers are going to explode/bottom out. I was running the recommended 25Hz high pass at first but I raised it to 30Hz and it didn't really help. I can't even pass -10dB on the IT8000 before the woofers sound BAD. I'm looking into what the problem could be...

Peter Etheredge

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2009, 07:30:01 pm »

Silas Pradetto wrote on Fri, 21 August 2009 18:10

Unfortunately, a pair of LABs with half the power kills the TH412 by a solid 3+ dB. The TH412 really needs that 200Hz bump EQ'd out or it's really obvious and "boinky". The TH412 came wired for 2 ohms, I rewired it for 2 x 4 ohms and hooked it up to an IT8000. This time I'm on a dedicated 30 amp 240 volt circuit with 60 feet of 10 gauge cord running from the main service entrance to the amp rack. Far before I even reach the rated RMS power (2x 1400 watts at 4 ohms) it sounds like the woofers are going to explode/bottom out. I was running the recommended 25Hz high pass at first but I raised it to 30Hz and it didn't really help. I can't even pass -10dB on the IT8000 before the woofers sound BAD. I'm looking into what the problem could be...

It doesn't need a 200Hz bump evened out because I cannot think of any case in which one would run their subs up that high.  

-peter
Peter Etheredge
Systems Engineer and Designer
Top-Notch Productions, INC.
petheredge(at)tnprod.com

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2009, 07:43:52 pm »

Peter Etheredge wrote on Fri, 21 August 2009 19:30

It doesn't need a 200Hz bump evened out because I cannot think of any case in which one would run their subs up that high.  

-peter

+1!

Where the hell are you running them up to Silas? I'd probably throw a 24dB LR filter at 85hz on those things!

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2009, 07:57:41 pm »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Fri, 21 August 2009 19:43

Peter Etheredge wrote on Fri, 21 August 2009 19:30

-peter

+1!

Where the hell are you running them up to Silas? I'd probably throw a 24dB LR filter at 85hz on those things!

Evan

Crossed at 100Hz 24dB/octave to meet nicely with an RS880. I'm pretty sure everyone's heard of out-of-band EQ to smooth stuff out that is still getting through the crossover, which in this case was EXTREMELY audible. Remember it's a 10dB peak at 200Hz over the 80Hz response so it's quite obvious.

More testing to come....

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2009, 08:06:05 pm »

Are you sure you have EVERYTHING wired up for proper polarity?

Inside the cabinet-the 4 cond wire itself (connectors)-polarity setting inside the amp and so forth.

Turn off one channel and listen.  Now turn on the other.  Does it get louder?  If not, then there is a polarity issue somewhere.

So put a eq cut at 200Hz if you want.  No big deal.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Peter Etheredge

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2009, 08:06:57 pm »

What are you using as a crossover?  Is it the one in the iTech?  If so I think there was just a thread where a guy had either an IT or XTi that was passing a whole range of stuff that it wasn't supposed to; perhaps that's the case here?
Peter Etheredge
Systems Engineer and Designer
Top-Notch Productions, INC.
petheredge(at)tnprod.com

Adrian Genovesio

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2009, 08:14:45 pm »

Peter Etheredge wrote on Fri, 21 August 2009 20:06

What are you using as a crossover?  Is it the one in the iTech?  If so I think there was just a thread where a guy had either an IT or XTi that was passing a whole range of stuff that it wasn't supposed to; perhaps that's the case here?

Yes, I'm using the crossover in the Itech. Don't worry, I'm not stupid Rolling Eyes ; I'm pretty sure the I-techs that I use at every gig are working correctly. Why does everyone doubt my findings? Fly over to my shop and you can see for yourself.

Edit: just realized I'm using the computer that Adrian was logged into...let me switch over to my office computer for the next post Embarassed
"Based on Thévenin's theorem, all complicated problems in life can be calculated down to one basic problem that resists the normal continuance of life, P-thévenin, where P is the problem."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 18 queries.