ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley Demo Review  (Read 54238 times)

Michael Hedden Jr.

Re: Danley Demo Review
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 10:30:46 PM »

The Synergy Horn seems to throw the best if it's entirely above head level.

Jeff[/quote]
That principle would apply to any loudspeaker as the are all governed by the inverse square law Smile

Mike Hedden
Danley Sound Labs, Inc.

Langston Holland

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 02:45:28 AM »

Hey Jeff - nice post. :) You also helped force me to go over the data I got with my way too brief time with some of those loudspeakers at my secret testing facility. I had two days available to play with them and one day was rained out - I do this kind of thing outdoors...

Overall I was most impressed with the SH46 and TH Mini. You could add the word "surprised" for impressed. I have never heard a box the size of the SH46 go so loud for its size and weight - and retain most of the Danley sound and all its arrayability. Add to that the fact that the box uses passive crossovers... Amazing. The TH Mini is really fun and would be even more fun if it had the option of a built-in amp given that it's application will often be with self powered tops.

Another thing that truly surprised me was how easy the TH412 was to move around and manage by myself. They did a great job with the caster board design. The position of the drivers in the cabinet weights the thing so that it comes off and back on the caster board very easily for something of that size. The king of easy to move is the TH115, but the TH412 is very nice. The TH212 is goofy to move around, though it's lighter than the TH115 it feels heavier due to the layout. Nice sounding sub, but given that issue and it's price and somewhat steeper amp requirements, I'd stick with the TH115 unless its smaller size was critical for a given application.

The 12" driver TH subs have a bit of a different character than the 15" I'm used to. There seems to be a little more detail or something in the 12's, but at the point of overload the 15 seems to maintain its composure better and have a softer and more forgiving sound to it. Sorry for the subjectivity...

Now, about the TH412 - that thing definitely goes lower than several TH115's and sounds wonderful doing it. I'd need more output from the TH412 to justify it's cost though. The problem here isn't with the TH412, it's how good the humble TH115 really is. (2) TH115's have the same measured output as (1) TH412 and the TH115 covers the LF spectrum perfectly for 95% of the program content I deal with. VLF bang for the buck seems to land squarely in favor of the TH812, which I didn't have but I really want to spend some time with. One of those has about the same output as (4) TH115's while going even lower than the TH412, and in my experience, (4) TH115's a side will cover thousands of folks very nicely.

Green trace is a single TH412, white is a single TH212 and blue is a single TH115:

http://soundscapes-info.com/pub/PSW/TH412_212_115.PNG

My little cost/benefit calculations on "upgrading" from the TH115 (ignores amplification):

http://soundscapes-info.com/pub/PSW/THcompare.png
God bless you and your precious family - Langston

Soundscapes <><

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 07:52:35 AM »

Rick Powell wrote on Thu, 20 August 2009 10:16

Did they mention the new SH-69, which is even smaller than the SH 46?

118 lbs, 2-12's, 3-mids and a compression driver, 60 x 90 pattern.  

Actually it has 6 mids and is arrayable in the 60
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Jeff Knorr - Cobra Sound

• http://cobrasound.com
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 09:08:30 AM »

Hi Langston,

I've been waiting for your review!  Your chart sums it all up nicely.  I have actually been toying with a similar spreadsheet as well.  As you pointed out, it doesn't look like the TH412's offer as much output as I'd like to have in order to justify the switch from the TH115's.  I would love to get even more LF extension but it's mostly for my own enjoyment and unfortunately doesn't have a solid business case behind it.

Jeff "needs some EDM gigs from customers with deep pockets!" Knorr
Cobra Sound
An authorized Allen&Heath, Ashly Audio, Audio-Technica, Audix, Da-Lite, Danley Sound Labs, FBT, Mackie, QSC Audio, RCF, Sabine, Sennheiser, Whirlwind, and Yorkville Sound dealer.

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 10:02:33 AM »

As usual nice work.. One missing data point from your comparison chart is bandwidth. In the "no free lunch", physics of well designed boxes, accompanying bandwidth data might make the comparison results more logical.

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 10:36:42 AM »

Langston Holland wrote on Fri, 21 August 2009 02:45

Another thing that truly surprised me was how easy the TH412 was to move around and manage by myself. They did a great job with the caster board design. The position of the drivers in the cabinet weights the thing so that it comes off and back on the caster board very easily for something of that size. The king of easy to move is the TH115, but the TH412 is very nice. The TH212 is goofy to move around, though it's lighter than the TH115 it feels heavier due to the layout. Nice sounding sub, but given that issue and it's price and somewhat steeper amp requirements, I'd stick with the TH115 unless its smaller size was critical for a given application.

The 12" driver TH subs have a bit of a different character than the 15" I'm used to. There seems to be a little more detail or something in the 12's, but at the point of overload the 15 seems to maintain its composure better and have a softer and more forgiving sound to it. Sorry for the subjectivity...

Hey Langston,

If you had to start again would you still pick the TH-115 over the TH-212 considering everything.  You mentioned the TH-212 was a little goofy to move around.  What about SQ wise?  It has been mentioned that the 212 might be slightly more "punchy"?  Also did you get a chance to take actual SPL measurements between the 212 and 115?  It seems like they would be really close anyway?

Thanks Much!
Phil
"It is good to be Alive!"

L and L: Live Sound
landllivesound.com

Langston Holland

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 11:04:17 AM »

Phil wrote on Fri, 21 August 2009:

If you had to start again would you still pick the TH-115 over the TH-212 considering everything.  You mentioned the TH-212 was a little goofy to move around.  What about SQ wise?  It has been mentioned that the 212 might be slightly more "punchy"?  Also did you get a chance to take actual SPL measurements between the 212 and 115?  It seems like they would be really close anyway?

I'd stick with the TH115 due to cost mainly. Subjectively, if they cost the same I would still lean toward the TH115 due to ease of handling, softer overload characteristics and slightly reduced amp requirements. Though the TH212 is slightly "punchier" sounding (maybe due to the slight emphasis they have at the kick fundamental), there is a bit of warmth that I've become accustomed to with the TH115 that I prefer - but I could go either way on this - they both are amazing compared to the competition that I'm aware of.

Edit: on the "punch" thing, I forgot about some basic physics I learned long ago that is more likely the cause of the TH212's "tighter" or "punchier" sound vs. the TH115's "warmer" sound. When you increase filter Q such as with sharp response peaks or higher order slopes, you get ringing in the sound. That means the sound lasts longer than a smoother, wider bandwidth device would. 1/F = T. Duh. The TH115 has a lovely peak just before its LF cutoff that I've really warmed up to. :) Don Davis used to fuss about the misuse of equalizers and the affect on ringing in the system response... He probably still fusses about this. :)
God bless you and your precious family - Langston

Soundscapes <><

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 11:09:15 AM »

Langston Holland wrote on Fri, 21 August 2009 11:04

Phil wrote on Fri, 21 August 2009:

I'd stick with the TH115 due to cost mainly. Subjectively, if they cost the same I would still lean toward the TH115 due to ease of handling, softer overload characteristics and slightly reduced amp requirements. Though the TH212 is slightly "punchier" sounding (maybe due to the slight emphasis they have at the kick fundamental), there is a bit of warmth that I've become accustomed to with the TH115 that I prefer - but I could go either way on this - they both are amazing compared to the competition that I'm aware of.

Thanks Langston!
"It is good to be Alive!"

L and L: Live Sound
landllivesound.com

Frederik Rosenkjær

• http://www.blackburst.dk
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 12:20:55 PM »

I've read this "goofiness" of movement with the TH212 a couple of places, but I'm having trouble figuring out what it is about it that would be troublesome. Can anyone elaborate on this a bit?

I'm very much considering getting a couple of TH212's, and since size is a very big issue for me I'd prefer them to TH115's. Also very much because of their 38 cm height when laying down, which allow them to go under many stages, and I'm an addict of center/mono subs.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2009, 01:25:27 PM »

The issues with moving a single TH212 are two fold.  A pair sitting on a dolly is easy.

First when you go to move it, the handle position is in favor of  "vertically challenged" people.  Taller people have to lean down a bit.

The other reason is that it "doesn't take corners well".

This is due to the narrow width (shallow height) that makes it great for sticking under stages and so forth, and the wheels being close together.

If you take corners not to carefully they can tend to fall over out of your hands.

I agree that the movement/balancing of the TH115 is much better, but the TH212 was trying to keep into a relatively small package that was versital-due to the two possible sound "exits".

But the TH1212's are smaller than a TH115 and take up less truck space.  In a standard truck you can put 12 of them easily in 3' of truck space and be 6' high.  If you you can stack a couple more on top. Rolling Eyes
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 17 queries.