ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ADRAudio L2821 and JD21  (Read 8296 times)

Adam Robinson

ADRAudio L2821 and JD21
« on: June 28, 2010, 01:40:44 PM »

I did a show last night on this rig provided by Asbury Audio and tech'ed by the Bennett Prescott.  The rig was grounstacked, 6 tops over 3 JD21 subs per side.  I'm always excited to try out systems I've never been in front of before and this was no different.  

Without running Smaart first, I decided to just fire up some tunes and hear the system before digging into it.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that the system required little EQ to get it to where I was comfortable.  Most of the EQ was a result of the room and I found that all but one of the EQ cuts I made were less than 3db.  The venue was a decent sized theatre with a deep underbalcony that had a short ceiling so there were definitely some room acoustics to deal with.  

The output of these small boxes is quite impressive for their size.  I likened them in that way to Nexo Geo S8s which I'm very familiar with, and always surprised that they get "that loud."  I enjoy the sound of the Nexo boxes a bit more, but that's not to say I was unhappy with the ADR boxes.  With two 8" drivers in each cabinet, the ADR box is more like two Geo S8s.

The JD21 subs were quite impressive.  After getting the tops tuned, I played a sub testing song, running the rig at about 102A.  Those 21" drivers go low!  The 31hz information in the track didn't get lost at all and the boxes remained punchy in their upper range.  Bennett informed me that I had a lot more room on the subs if I wanted to push them harder.  Happy where I was at, I decided that attempting to bring the walls of this old theatre down was probably not a good idea…

I don't think that these boxes are going to knock the 3 brands I usually ask for off my rider (D&B, Meyer, Nexo), but I wouldn't turn them down and would probably ask for them over many other options usually presented to me in that area of the country.  

Of another note, I want to reiterate that a good crew can make a well designed box even better.  It was a pleasure to work with the Asbury Audio crew that day:  Jason Dermer, David Karol, and Bennett.  They all jumped into helping me with my gear when they could have probably just minded their own and pushed my setup off to stagehands.  As Bennett noted, I'm sure I'll be seeing them again the next time I pass through town with yet another accordion playing act haha.

Ales Dravinec 'Alex'

• http://www.adraudio.com
Re: ADRAudio L2821 and JD21
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 02:45:29 PM »

Adam,

Paramount theater really is 'something else'. On my last visit in US i get to peek inside ... Shame that flying anything isn't an option there.

Thank you for your thoughts and you are absolutely right : Excellent team IS the key !

With utmost respect
Ales Dravinec
R&D manager, owner
ADRaudio
Slovenia

'There's no replacement for displacement' Carroll Shelby (Jim Bowersox, Tim McCulloch)
'Put speakers up in the air, where they belong' Bill Hanley

Art Welter

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 12:12:23 PM »

Adam Robinson wrote on Mon, 28 June 2010 11:40

The JD21 subs were quite impressive.  After getting the tops tuned, I played a sub testing song, running the rig at about 102A.  

What is "102A"?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 12:23:13 PM »

Art Welter wrote on Tue, 29 June 2010 11:12

The JD21 subs were quite impressive.  After getting the tops tuned, I played a sub testing song, running the rig at about 102A.  

What is "102A"?

It's a couple blocks from 221B Baker St.  There was a noise ordinance at 221B, so they moved the show to 102A.

Ales Dravinec 'Alex'

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 01:05:15 PM »

TJ (Tom) Cornish wrote on Tue, 29 June 2010 18:23

Art Welter wrote on Tue, 29 June 2010 11:12

What is "102A"?

It's a couple blocks from 221B Baker St.  There was a noise ordinance at 221B, so they moved the show to 102A.

Laughing  Laughing
Ales Dravinec
R&D manager, owner
ADRaudio
Slovenia

'There's no replacement for displacement' Carroll Shelby (Jim Bowersox, Tim McCulloch)
'Put speakers up in the air, where they belong' Bill Hanley

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 02:14:11 PM »

Hey Adam, thanks for the plug! This was by far my favorite show of the year, easy in and out, plus I got to see goddamn Weird Al... been listening to his shit longer than probably any other artist. A real pleasure, by any measure. Now if you could just go to work for some of the other artists I'd like to see and then arrange for them to detour to a venue I'm playing head audio at for the day, I'd really appreciate it.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Adam Robinson

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 02:37:51 PM »

haha... send me a list Bennett!

(and 102A stands for 102db A-weighted)

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 10:04:25 PM »

I'm trying to find some photos of gear, although there are plenty of the show. Here's a pair taken by David Karol:

index.php/fa/31058/0/
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 10:04:53 PM »

index.php/fa/31059/0/
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.