ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley Demo Review  (Read 54240 times)

Jeff Knorr - Cobra Sound

• http://cobrasound.com
Danley Demo Review
« on: August 20, 2009, 09:55:32 AM »

Yesterday I had the pleasure of attending a Danley Sound Lab's products demonstration at Starlite Productions in Cherry Hill, NJ. A thank you goes out to my Lienau AV rep, Chris Hutnick, and Starlite for hosting the event.  Also, it was nice to meet Gus and Arnold from Starlite, Joel from Danley, and Dominic from Lineau AV.

On to the toys!  Below is the group shot of the products that were on hand for the event.  The picture was taken toward the end of the event so it doesn't show the SH95 and SH-mini on top of the SH64 (which is where they were originally auditioned).  Unfortunately, the TH221 and TH812 weren't on the truck and thus weren't able to be heard at the demo.

index.php/fa/24484/0/

My reason for attending the event was to finally put some names to faces and to experience the TH412 subwoofer.  Our basic listening tests were not in the least bit scientific, we just cranked up some tracks and swapped boxes around as we desired.  We also weren't listening in the quietest of environments due to running cooling fans and other background noise.

We started out with the smaller Danley products and worked our way up the line.  The SH-mini sounded very good for its diminutive size.  It's not the loudest or most efficient box out there but it's a great speaker for home, fill, or small reinforcement tasks.  The SH-mini was also paired with the TH-mini sub which definitely helps to round out the package and makes a surprising amount of bass for it's size!

I believe the next box auditioned was the SH95, this has all the nice characteristics of the SH-mini but is more potent due to it's increased efficiency and power handling.  The SH95 also seems to offer some pretty good pattern control due to its Synergy Horn design.  Later in the event we tried the SH95 in a floor monitor configuration--with some audio wood or slightly modified cabinet design, I think we might have a good contender for critical low to moderate SPL monitoring needs.  The SH95 paired up with the TH115 made for a nice full range system that certainly wouldn't take up much truck space.

The SH60 contains the same driver complement as the SH50 but is packaged on a slightly modified cabinet to achieve a 60 by 60 degree pattern.  Run full range or with the TH115, the SH60 is an impressive cabinet.  Again it demonstrated excellent pattern control from the Synergy Horn.

We proceeding on to the SH64 which I think can be a solid one box solution where bass response much below 50 Hz isn't required.  I thought it sounded a touch bright during its audition but it really wouldn't be used in a near field app like we were listening to it and would probably really shine with a touch of EQ.  It also has a considerable amount of horsepower behind the grill and great pattern control from the Synergy Horn.

I believe we kicked on the TH412 around this time and I recall a few smiles appearing in the room.  The TH412 definitely makes some boom and extends deeper than the TH115. The TH412 also was almost able to keep up with the pair of SH46's (we dropped the SH46 level by 3-5 dB) which is pretty darn impressive.  Later in the event we tried the TH412's and SH46's powered by a Powersoft K10DSP amplifier and were even more impressed.  The last few pictures in this thread will show a comparison in the physical size between the TH115 and TH412.  Note that in the front shot the TH115 isn't quite as wide as the TH412 but it appears to be due to it's location in the picture.

I asked Joel about comparisons between the TH412 and TH115, he stated that 1 TH412 can produce more low bass than an array of four TH115's.  Personally, I think that the TH115s would have the definite advantage in the 60-100 Hz range but would love to be proven otherwise.  Unfortunately we didn't do any measurements or more scientific comparisons between the two boxes as this event.

We currently own eight of the SH46 boxes and have been very happy with them so far.  They exhibit great pattern control and pack a heck of an SPL punch for their size and weight. In my opinion they're an excellent option for anyone looking for boxes in the KF-650 class or better.

Feel free to fire over any questions or comments.  Hopefully Chris, Joel, Dominic, or anyone else at the event can chime in with their opinions as well.

Jeff
Cobra Sound
An authorized Allen&Heath, Ashly Audio, Audio-Technica, Audix, Da-Lite, Danley Sound Labs, FBT, Mackie, QSC Audio, RCF, Sabine, Sennheiser, Whirlwind, and Yorkville Sound dealer.

Jeff Knorr - Cobra Sound

Re: Danley Demo Review
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 09:56:15 AM »

TH412 Full Frontal

index.php/fa/24485/0/
Cobra Sound
An authorized Allen&Heath, Ashly Audio, Audio-Technica, Audix, Da-Lite, Danley Sound Labs, FBT, Mackie, QSC Audio, RCF, Sabine, Sennheiser, Whirlwind, and Yorkville Sound dealer.

Jeff Knorr - Cobra Sound

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 09:57:13 AM »

A pair of SH46's sitting on top of the TH412's.  This could be our future combo.

index.php/fa/24486/0/
Cobra Sound

Jeff Knorr - Cobra Sound

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 09:58:14 AM »

Side by side comparison of the TH115 and TH412 subs.

index.php/fa/24487/0/
Cobra Sound

Jeff Knorr - Cobra Sound

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 09:58:46 AM »

One more TH115/TH412 shot.

index.php/fa/24488/0/
Cobra Sound

Rick Powell

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 10:16:38 AM »

Did they mention the new SH-69, which is even smaller than the SH 46?

118 lbs, 2-12's, 3-mids and a compression driver, 60 x 90 pattern.  
Rick Powell
StudioLive 16:4:2
JTR Triple 8 Mains
Danley TH115 Subwoofers
Bag End TA15 Floor Monitors
Crown xti6000/4000/2000

"There are two types of people...those who divide people into two types, and those who don't."

Jeff Knorr - Cobra Sound

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 10:44:44 AM »

Rick Powell wrote on Thu, 20 August 2009 10:16

Did they mention the new SH-69, which is even smaller than the SH 46?

118 lbs, 2-12's, 3-mids and a compression driver, 60 x 90 pattern.  

Hi Rick,

Yes, the SH69 is supposed to have the same components and sound quality as the SH50 and SH60 but is just loaded on a differently sized horn.  They are just making more coverage pattern options available with the newer models.

Jeff
Cobra Sound

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 10:53:11 AM »

How rockin' was the TH412? My demo is shipping to me today so I'll be reviewing and comparing to LABs in a few days.

Was it ridiculous? Or just really good...

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 10:54:32 AM »

damn internet!

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 10:56:15 AM »

ahhh another duplicate! damn internet!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 17 queries.