ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mackie HD1531 Powered Loudspeaker  (Read 35643 times)

Dave Dermont

• http://www.geocities.com/livesound101/
Re: Mackie HD1531 Powered Loudspeaker
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 07:58:30 AM »

Josh Billings wrote on Tue, 29 September 2009 17:46

Im seriously considering these for the club i work at. Ive been trying to convince them to install something and these seem like a great choice with DSP and everything built in. I was gonna get 2 of the 1531s for the front and maybe just hand a couple SRM-450s in the back for reinforcement (it's a dance club)

Can you liken their output with any other speakers? Like do they have the "get up and go" of like the SRX722 or EAW LA325 ? I'd be using them with subs, but these would become the MAIN speakers of the club with some reinforcements in the back.

I like the 90 degree pattern, 3 way speakers + good LF response...just worried about the SPL. I'm going to have DJs beating the hell out of them (I'll have a dominator or something setup as well)

-Josh

The Mackies won't have the "get up and go" of properly powered LA325s.

Please consider that a pair of LA325 speakers cost about $1k more, and you still need to get power for them.

I don't have a lot of experience with the JBL 7xx stuff, but would think the situation would be close to what it is with the EAW.

The Mackies would be a good choice if you MUST stay within budget restrictions.

Dave Dermont - Chief Lizard, LAB Lounge

WARNING: Dates In Calendar May Be Closer Than They Appear

Josh Billings

• http://www.mindboxmedia.com/soundsystem
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 01:11:58 AM »

Would you say they are the loudest / best sounding powered speaker for under $1,200 ?

-Josh

Dave Dermont

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 09:12:16 AM »

Josh Billings wrote on Thu, 01 October 2009 01:11

Would you say they are the loudest / best sounding powered speaker for under $1,200 ?

-Josh

I'm not sure if I've heard every single powered speaker that sells for less than $1,200. Wait. I am sure I have not.

The Mackie HD1531 is certainly a contender. I would imagine that the comparable QSC model would be worth a look too. I am sure there are others out there too.

Again, not having made any direct comparisons, it's hard to say.

Is the HD1531 the best $1,200.00 powered speaker I've ever heard? Yeah, it probably is. However, I am sure somebody out there will buy them with unrealistic expectations.

Nate Conti

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 01:19:35 PM »

Josh Billings wrote on Thu, 01 October 2009 06:11

-Josh

I wouldn't say they are the best sounding box out there, but for overall output, build, and durability I still don't think you can beat the Yorkville Ef500p in that price range. They seem to cut every room I do with them with rock band levels. Have never been let down in the slightest.
Crescent Audio & Lighting

Dave Dermont

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 01:42:18 PM »

Nate Conti wrote on Fri, 16 October 2009 13:19

Josh Billings wrote on Thu, 01 October 2009 06:11

-Josh

I wouldn't say they are the best sounding box out there, but for overall output, build, and durability I still don't think you can beat the Yorkville Ef500p in that price range. They seem to cut every room I do with them with rock band levels. Have never been let down in the slightest.

Well sure.

After all, they are what YOU use, so they must be the best. It's wrong to even think any other way.

The big question here is, have you ever heard the new Mackies? If not, it's kinda hard to make any sort of valid comparison.

This is not the Audio Conjecture Forum.

Just sayin'.

Lee Jacobson

• http://www.brevardsoundsystems.com
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 08:24:17 PM »

Dave,

I will offer my opinion here. I have not driven the Mackie speakers. That said, I have heard them used in a room I used to work in regularly, with my EF500P/LS800P rig. I would run one over one per side, and have plenty of output. The rig I heard with the Mackies was two over two, and the guy could not get the vocals up over the band. Mixing style?? Very well could be.
Lee Jacobson
Technical Director
Brevard Sound Systems
Deltona, FL
386 717 4600

Nate Conti

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 12:15:31 AM »

Actually Dave. I miss read Josh's post I thought he was asking what was the best sounding loudest box in that price range. I did not realize he was asking specifically about that mackie. I offered him my advice based on what I've owned and used.

That whole comment I wrote him was only in reference to my opinion of the ef500p. When I was saying "I don't think they are the best sounding boxes" I was actually talking about my ef500p boxes.

I think you will see I misread his comment. Hope that clarifies or even helps.

With that said I've never heard that mackie yet and am interested in finding out how well that box performs as well. I'd be the first to throw any box under the bus for something just as affordable and better.

Sorry for the confusion, maybe an extra coffee in the morning might help.

Dave Dermont

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 09:03:27 AM »

Nate Conti wrote on Mon, 19 October 2009 00:15

Actually Dave. I miss read Josh's post I thought he was asking what was the best sounding loudest box in that price range. I did not realize he was asking specifically about that mackie. I offered him my advice based on what I've owned and used.

That whole comment I wrote him was only in reference to my opinion of the ef500p. When I was saying "I don't think they are the best sounding boxes" I was actually talking about my ef500p boxes.

I think you will see I misread his comment. Hope that clarifies or even helps.

With that said I've never heard that mackie yet and am interested in finding out how well that box performs as well. I'd be the first to throw any box under the bus for something just as affordable and better.

Sorry for the confusion, maybe an extra coffee in the morning might help.

Yorkville makes a fine product, and they have always found much love here on the forums. I've never heard any of their powered boxes, but I am sure the EF500P are a rockin' box.

Mackie has taken the 'old' 1530, a decent plastic powered box, and made it a flyable, stand-mountable birch box that fits more situations and sounds better too. They've even managed to keep the price about the same.

Nate Conti

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 09:25:20 AM »

I own some mackie products and have never been dissapointed with there sound. My biggest hang up with mackie is the fact that they were not making any products that were wooden powered boxes. Up until now it seems to have only been plastic molded boxes which I have generally tried to stay away from.

First look at the the new box it grabbed my attention. Hope to hear them sometime.

Art Welter

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 03:57:34 PM »

Dave,

I recently did an outdoor A/B comparison with the Mackie 1521, the two way version of the 1531, and  a Danley SH 100 driven from a mono bridge Crest CC2800 (1190 watts into 8 ohm) HP at 60 HZ.

The 1531 is rated 1 dB louder than the 1521, 126 dB to 125 dB “measured”.

The SH100 is rated 123 dB program, recommended amp power 400-800 watts.

The SH100 coaxial Synergy horn sounded slightly more “detailed”, more “real” than the 1521 in the mid to high range.
The difference was not much, and both had been EQd so they “looked” similar in magnitude response, which required very little tweaking, though the 1521 had much deeper low end.  

The 1521 had at least 6 dB more output on the live music source, guitar and voice.
The peak power Mackie claims seems to be real. It was hitting 110 dBC at about 4 meters outside, somewhere between the “measured” and “predicted” published numbers.

I have not heard the 1531, but I would expect the 6” mid driver would make for an even more “defined” sound than the 1521.

The 1521 really met the specs well, the published chart matched my Smaart chart, and I must say that the limiter sounds quite decent.
I had not read the manual, and the owner of the speakers thought the limiter light was tri-color, green, yellow, then red for limit.

He was wrong, the light only goes to yellow, which we pushed it hard into, searching for the red.
It stayed musical even when the limit light was on quite a bit.

I was impressed with the SH100 output for the size, at 2.19 cubic feet it is less than half of the size (and weight) of the 4.9 cubic foot 1521.

I was also impressed with the sound quality, output and cost of the Mackie. Based on your observations of the 1531, and my experience with the 1521, I’d recommend them to anyone that the pattern and SPL level will work for.

Art Welter

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.