ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Horn Placement Advise  (Read 1955 times)

Jon Ross

Horn Placement Advise
« on: August 02, 2009, 11:14:08 PM »

I'm installing a couple JBL boxes in small club and wanted some advise on which direction to position the boxes. The room is a perfect rectangle roughly 30ftx60ft with no obstructions (bar and such are in a different room). I'm using a top box that contains a 15" woofer and 1" horn and they will be positioned horizontally. It's all pretty basic.
Now my question is... Should I position the top boxes so each of the horns are towards  the center of the room and the woofers toward the outside walls? or another way?

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Re: Horn Placement Advise
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 11:19:52 PM »

Jon Ross wrote on Sun, 02 August 2009 23:14

I'm installing a couple JBL boxes in small club and wanted some advise on which direction to position the boxes. The room is a perfect rectangle roughly 30ftx60ft with no obstructions (bar and such are in a different room). I'm using a top box that contains a 15" woofer and 1" horn and they will be positioned horizontally. It's all pretty basic.
Now my question is... Should I position the top boxes so each of the horns are towards  the center of the room and the woofers toward the outside walls? or another way?

Unless the speakers are intended to be mounted horizontally, another way. The coverage pattern of the horn is generally wider in the horizontal direction than vertical when the speaker is oriented vertically. That is probably the way you should mount them, but with no information about what speaker they are, or about the required coverage pattern it is impossible to know.

Mac

Ivan Beaver

Re: Horn Placement Advise-It depends
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 07:33:59 AM »

As Mac said, unless you can rotate the horns-or they are designed to be installed in that position (I ASSUME you are talking about boxes that have rated fly points on them!!!!!!!!) you are better off installing them the way they are SUPPOSED to be used.

It also depends on the height of the ceiling and how high you are planning on mounting them.  It also depends on what you are trying to "accomplish" with the system.

As a general rule you point the center of the horn at the furthest listener-in an attempt to get even coverage from the from to the back.

But that may not have enough coverage for the front seats.

So you may have to point the cabinet more down-sacrificing the seats in the rear.

Without knowing any real details-there is no way of knowing what is going on.

Are these cabinets just something you happen to have lying  around, or was the design specing those cabinets?  If the design speced those-then ask the person who designed the system what angles he had in mind.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.