ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to run mrx528s subs?  (Read 13768 times)

Dave Mathew

Best way to run mrx528s subs?
« on: March 05, 2011, 02:38:05 PM »

I am interested in configuring these subs in the best setup.

Currently I have 2 mrx528s subs powered by 2 crown xti4000 bridged mono - 3200 watts each.
The tops I use are 2 mackie sa1521 and 2 mackie sr1530

I am contemplating getting another set of mrx528s.  What would be the best way to power all 4 cabinets?

Could I chain the second pair off of the first and get decent results, or should I be looking into getting more amps?

I am assuming that if I chain them together that I will be sending 1600 watts to each cabinet.. also would any kind of processor help improve the sound?

Thanks in advance for your help

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Best way to run mrx528s subs?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 12:39:38 PM »

I am contemplating getting another set of mrx528s.  What would be the best way to power all 4 cabinets?

Could I chain the second pair off of the first and get decent results, or should I be looking into getting more amps?
Nope.
They are 4 ohm cabs.
Bridging the XTI4000 for 4 ohms is as low as they are rated.
Time for 2 more amps.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Seth Frick

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 10:41:44 PM »

I am interested in configuring these subs in the best setup.

Currently I have 2 mrx528s subs powered by 2 crown xti4000 bridged mono - 3200 watts each.
The tops I use are 2 mackie sa1521 and 2 mackie sr1530

I am assuming that if I chain them together that I will be sending 1600 watts to each cabinet.. also would any kind of processor help improve the sound?

Thanks in advance for your help

Just run two subs per amp, one per channel. That'll give you 1200W per channel minimum guaranteed power at 4 ohms, which is enough to run the MRX528S. You won't have much headroom though. You'll get less THD this way than you do bridging the XTi's at 4 ohms, though, so that will improve sound quality slightly (it's also not as hard on your amps). As for processing, the XTi4000's have built-in DSP. Are you using any of the processing features other than the crossover? The built-in DSP is not quite as good as a decent external DSP like a DBX DriveRack PA, but I can't imagine you're going to get appreciably better sound quality by switching to one of those. The main reason to go with an external DSP would be if you planned on getting new amps.

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 07:48:20 PM »

''The built-in DSP is not quite as good as a decent external DSP like a DBX DriveRack PA'' understatement of the year ;) They clip and send square waves down the line

Dave Mathew

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 03:57:10 PM »

Just run two subs per amp, one per channel. That'll give you 1200W per channel minimum guaranteed power at 4 ohms, which is enough to run the MRX528S. You won't have much headroom though. You'll get less THD this way than you do bridging the XTi's at 4 ohms, though, so that will improve sound quality slightly (it's also not as hard on your amps). As for processing, the XTi4000's have built-in DSP. Are you using any of the processing features other than the crossover? The built-in DSP is not quite as good as a decent external DSP like a DBX DriveRack PA, but I can't imagine you're going to get appreciably better sound quality by switching to one of those. The main reason to go with an external DSP would be if you planned on getting new amps.

I am using the dsp for bridge and crossover, but thts it. 

So if I chain 2 4 ohm cabinets together then I will have a 2 ohm cabinet?  and would this would be to hard on the amp to use it in bridge mode at 4 ohms?

does anyone have a recomendation for how to get the most bass and best sound out of these cabinets?

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 07:59:20 PM »

So if I chain 2 4 ohm cabinets together then I will have a 2 ohm cabinet?  and would this would be to hard on the amp to use it in bridge mode at 4 ohms?

does anyone have a recomendation for how to get the most bass and best sound out of these cabinets?

You cant do that my friend as an amp will only bridge @4ohms not 2ohms.... by linking two 4ohms cabinets together your going to get near 2ohms for sure.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 09:21:22 AM »

''The built-in DSP is not quite as good as a decent external DSP like a DBX DriveRack PA'' understatement of the year ;) They clip and send square waves down the line
Any device will clip if sent a signal that exceeds it's maximum input level and in doing so will modify the waveform.  Maximum input level on an XTi is +22dBu while the DriveRack PA maximum input level is +20dBu, so if driven by the same source the DriveRack input would actually clip 2dB before the XTi input.  The DRPA may have more extensive and more flexibble processing than the DSP in an XTi but you need to employ proper system gain structure for either device.  FWIW, Crown and dbx are both Harman companies and one could reasonably assume that there is some commonalities between the DriveRack and XTi processing.

A couple of general comments regarding the subwoofer impedance and amp ratings.  First, remember that the impedance of speakers varies at different frequencies and that what are specified are usually nominal impedance ratings, the minimum impedance may or may not be specified, however it is typically less than the nominal value.  Second, the XTi power ratings are at 1kHz and either 0.5% or 1% THD, not 20-20kHz and 0.01% THD.  The distortion value may not matter for subs but expect less power when driving real world sub frequencies than the 1kHz ratings suggest.

In case you did not note this, the recommended processing for the MRX528S includes a 31Hz, 24dB/Octave high pass filter.  That should help protect the subs and/or get more out of the system by minimizing any very low frequency junk going to the subs.

You mentioned using two Mackie SA1521 and two Mackie SR1530 mains.  How are these used and do you use all four at once?  The SR1530 is a three-way box with a nominal 90x40 pattern and 123dB long term/126dB peak maximum output at 1m.  The SA1521 is a two-way box with a nominal 75x65 pattern and 130dB long term/133dB peak maximum output at 1m.  The potential differences in output levels, response, pattern, etc. means that you would almost certainly want to have different processing for each of those speakers and if you're using one set as fills that may include different delay settings.

Dave Mathew

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »

Thank you for your response.  I have been using the 1521's and the 1530's seperate, however, I am intending on using them together for a larger rig when I get more subs. 
I eventualy may upgrade to jbl prx625 or 635's.
I guess at this point I could either get another pair of mrx528s or I am now considering EAW fr250z or maybe EAW sbx220.

Could anyone describe the differences in these subs performance and sound?  I would be using xti4000's

Steven warner

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 12:51:11 AM »

Thank you for your response.  I have been using the 1521's and the 1530's seperate, however, I am intending on using them together for a larger rig when I get more subs. 
I eventualy may upgrade to jbl prx625 or 635's.
I guess at this point I could either get another pair of mrx528s or I am now considering EAW fr250z or maybe EAW sbx220.

Could anyone describe the differences in these subs performance and sound?  I would be using xti4000's

sell the mrx s get the srx 728, you be shocked at the difference

Dave Mathew

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 08:01:29 PM »

sell the mrx s get the srx 728, you be shocked at the difference

I would like to have but unfortunately they will not fit in my van.  I ended up getting another pair of mrx's and 2 itech4000's to replace the xti's.  So now I can do 2 rooms or use them together for a larger event. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 08:01:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.