ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Vi6 Digital Mixing Console  (Read 64441 times)

Ryan Lantzy

• http://www.lhsoundandlight.com
Re: Soundcraft Vi6 Digital Mixing Console - Complaints
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 12:41:25 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Wed, 29 July 2009 11:33

Chris Tate wrote on Wed, 29 July 2009 00:17

what else..... oh yeah.....the surface runs stripped back windows...not Linux.....the brain uses QNX

Ahh, bummer. I thought that was a Linux boot screen but I guess not. No wonder it's a little slow to get going.

FWIW, the iLive uses a Linux kernel in the surface and it's even slower to boot... Almost 2 minutes.
Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

Chris Tate

• http://www.collegehill.co.nz
Re: Soundcraft Vi6 Digital Mixing Console
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2009, 11:26:14 PM »

Hey Bennett,

Just thinking about what you were asking about resetting defaults using copy / paste.... Have you found the button on the master vistonics that comes up when you hit copy / paste that is labeled 'lib', just checking because I just assumed you have when I posted my reply about being able to use the copy / paste function...

If you hit the 'lib' button, you gain access to presets for individual things including FX presets, dynamics, EQ, sends, whole channels, groups of channels etc etc. You can create your own, store them on a USB key etc etc....just like any other digital console.

Chur

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2009, 11:29:47 PM »

Nope, had forgotten about it entirely. I'll check it out!
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 07:48:21 AM »

Ryan Lantzy wrote on Thu, 30 July 2009 12:41

Bennett Prescott wrote on Wed, 29 July 2009 11:33

Chris Tate wrote on Wed, 29 July 2009 00:17

what else..... oh yeah.....the surface runs stripped back windows...not Linux.....the brain uses QNX

Ahh, bummer. I thought that was a Linux boot screen but I guess not. No wonder it's a little slow to get going.

FWIW, the iLive uses a Linux kernel in the surface and it's even slower to boot... Almost 2 minutes.

At least it doesn't crash in all kinds of weird ways like the other Vi6 thread is showing. Rolling Eyes

Chris Tate

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2009, 08:00:28 PM »

Quote:

At least it doesn't crash in all kinds of weird ways like the other Vi6 thread is showing. Rolling Eyes

I think I can honestly say that of all the digital consoles I've used over the last few years, the VI6 is the only one that I haven't had crash on me! Smile...and I've had mine since software revision 1.....

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 05:33:10 PM »

I think I touched on something similar earlier... had Hammer of the Gods the other day, they're "the" Led Zeppelin "tribute band". Long story short, their "FOH Engineer" was actually just there to mix the lead singer's vocal effects. No problem on the VI6... made him a whole little world over on the right side of the console with two duplicated copies of the lead vocal channel and three stereo effects returns. Two engineers, one console, both doing completely dissimilar tasks... no problem!

index.php/fa/24525/0/

I am more thrilled with this desk every day.
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 05:48:54 PM »

Now that I have sung its praises, there are still some things I would like to see changed.

In effects world, the lexicon interface is nice, but some of the parameters are very strangely presented or missing entirely. For instance, all tap delays seem to be 1/4 note, and there is no way to change that.

I have also been having a problem where some FX returns will show up mono (return left channel only), even though they are routed stereo.

In the input stage, there is an analog high pass after the preamp, and another digital one inside the console. I can see why this was done, the analog high pass can prevent the rest of the electronics from overloading where there is the least available dynamic range. It is then cheap and easy to implement a variable high pass in software. This is annoying and unnecessarily complicated, however... for a $80,000 (ish, loaded) console one would think they could have just put a digitally controlled analog high pass in the front end. Or, why not hide the analog high pass and just have it engage whenever the digital high pass is above that corner frequency? Or something that doesn't make me explain that oddity to every band engineer?

Finally, a major pet peeve. The channel labeling is pretty good, 6 characters on the scribble strips and many more at the bottom of the screen for every channel. Unfortunately, the console has no brains about this whatsoever! I have to label each channel twice. One "long label" for the screens, and one "short label" for the scribble strip. Why not do what (cough) Digidesign does very well and make the software smart enough to knock out a few vowels and generate at least a halfway decent short name? This sort of little thing probably takes up half my programming time every time I need to set up the console.
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2009, 12:42:11 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Fri, 21 August 2009 14:33

I think I touched on something similar earlier... had Hammer of the Gods the other day, they're "the" Led Zeppelin "tribute band". Long story short, their "FOH Engineer" was actually just there to mix the lead singer's vocal effects.

Did you read the articles about the Led Zeppelin reunion at O2 last year? Two guys at FOH -- Mick Hughes mixed the band, and Plant's regular guy mixed Plant's vocals and effects.

So obviously this cover band is doing the same thing.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Chris Tate

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2009, 11:06:06 PM »

Ok...so i'm the only one that cares enough to reply....but:

Short label procedure:

1) Type long label
2) Press Tab
3) Press Backspace

Short label will scroll if it is to long to fit in the little scribble strip

Delay:
Notice there are two 'time' functions the first is like a ratio (break out your BPM chart) and then save as a preset....yeah I know they didn't set it all up for us....but it can be done Smile

HPF: really?  Rolling Eyes

Have Fun...(and get Soundcraft to send you the manual addendum) Smile

Chur

Chris

Bart de Wit

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2009, 07:00:47 PM »

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but not so new to the VI's. I did a course at soundcraft early this year and currently work a VI6 or VI4 at least twice a week, many weeks it's 3 or more days a week.

There's one little thing that bugs me and some of my fellow engineers. I've tried to look it up in the manual but couldn't find this, and maybe I'm ooverlooking it.

Me and one of my mates do FOH for a few well known top 40 acts where volumes are required to be, quite frankly, outrageous. This because of the amount of screaming little girls and boys that together produce about 110dba for almost the entire concert duration.

To still get enough push out the vocal without feedback at the 115dba level we sometimes find ourselves in, we route our vocals through individual groups and then carve the h#ll out of them with the graphic eq's while trying to maintain a decent vocal.

On all other desks we've come accross, this is all fine, the VI's however have one little tricky feat. where it seems that once you've routed a channel to that group, the group fader becomes the controlling fader and there's no longer any control on the channel fader.

Any experiences with this? Maybe we're overlooking something and are just being dumb engineers?

So in short, once a channel is put into a group, it seems to happen pre fader and there doesn't seem to be a switch for this?
Noise monkeys!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.